Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been looking at building a bob/survival pack for a few months now. Im designing my around long term/multipurpose survival pack. I have some good idea about what to put in it but would just like to hear what others have to say or any advice. i want to have most things in it multipurpose not just for one thing. also lightwieght too. let me hear your ideas or knowledge.

·
Semper Fi
2,808 Posts
One guy uses a deer cart to haul LOTS of gear... Combined with a 'hiking' size BOB it would be a great idea. I'm thinking about getting one-- load up everything for the fam.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im using a maxpedition vulture II i like it alot keeps the backpack compact and can hold alot of stuff. idk how much stuff im gonna be packing yet but im gonna keep more to basics so nothing like a tent or sleeping bag im gonna replace them with a wool blanket and clear tarp with a mylar blanket to make a very warm shelter while keeping to my lightweight pack.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Vulture II is not big enough for a long term gig. I kinda think they are weak for a 3 Day jaunt if you have a tent, bag, cook set, water, food, tools and security in there. Doesn't leave room for much and no good way to attach gear to the top if you need to. Barely 3000 ci in there.

An excellent long term pack is the Marine ILBE is a great pack with 4500+ cubic inches,plus Molle webbing, to deal with and you can get the detachable patrol pack as well. Has an internal frame and can carry up to 120 lbs without too much problem and they are very comfortable. Can find them cheap on many web sites.

http://www.olive-drab.com/od_soldiers_gear_ilbe_usmc.php

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
What do you mean by "long" term? Are you talking years so you'll be carrying seeds to grow a garden and thousands of rounds of ammo? If so you need the deer cart.

I have the ILBE and barely get everything I want/need for a weekend in the cold and snow.

Go here and scroll down to the guest post by Jerry Young (a member here). He provides an incredibly well thought out list - but you need the cart or a truck/van/SUV

http://www.bugoutbagquest.blogspot.com/

·
Registered
127 Posts
I've carried 100 pound packs and you don't go fast or far. If you are moving on foot you are limited by your conditioning (I was in better than average shape) terrain and equipment. If you have to factor in safety /security you're even slower especially on your own. Jeremiah Johnson was a movie

·
Registered
395 Posts
For being multipurpose, one thing I've done, and it has served me well, is to have one base-pack with the common items in it, and several other modular packs you can attach to it for special purposes.

For me, I've got one basic pack, and two add-ons: cold weather gear and 'extended stay'.

That way, you can just attach the extra modules you need, and save the weight and bulk of the ones you don't.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
what i mean by long term/multiuse items is if shtf i could take my pack and go out into the woods or wooded area and use them for multipe things. ive learned alot about trapping and alot of other things to live off the land. im going to use very basic things. no tent, change with wool blanket, clear tarp and wylar blanket, i seen on dual survival they made a shelter outta these items and they said it got nie and toasty in there. will try it out first before its final. but back to my pack im gonna use a canteen cup as my cooking utensil. i might have some seeds never thought about it. also im in pretty good shape been working out for a few years now but im going to school to become a personal trainer so im gonna be in top shape if things ever went south.

·
Sibi Totique
1,074 Posts
Keeping it both light weight and long term seems like hard task. For long term use full sized tools are much easier to work with than compact tools. If you buy quality you can often keep the weight of equipment down. If you are going to carry all equipment I think it would be hard to pack everything that you would need for a long term scenario.

One solution is to either use a vehicle or a bike with a bike-trailer so that you can add equipment. Pack different types of equipment into separate containers; Food, Cooking, Fuel, Shelter, Equipment for repairs, First Aid and Medical, Water and Water Purification, Sanitation, Tools, Clothing and Footwear etc. Makes it easier to find and organize the equipment in your home as well.

Long term Bug Out Bag: http://sibitotique.blogspot.com/2009/11/bug-out-guide-and-checklist.html

Light Weight Bug Out Bag: http://sibitotique.blogspot.com/2010/10/light-weight-bug-out-bag.html

The Free Online Survival Guide

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
You don't really need the bike trailer. The NVA transported many many thousands of tons down the Ho Chi Minh trail thru the jungle on rugged slopes on just bikes.

winter camping is the worst as warm sleeping bags and tents are heavy. The last time I went I put my stuff on a plastic toboggan

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Im not gonna be using a sleeping bag or tent. I know several different kinds shelters to build that i good in any weather. an example of a multipurpose tool like im saying is canteen cup-cooking, boiling water and a cup. things like that is what i mean.

·
Misfit Toy
2,185 Posts
I have my sights set on an Eberlestock F4 Pack for a long-term sustainment Kit/Pack.

An LTSK is a last chance saloon. It's a bag large enough to carry all season clothing, equipment/weapons, sleep gear, shelter, etc.

That is why I opt for the lightest weight, high-tech, most durable gear I can find.

If all else fails, you're displaced, burned or driven out...it's the bag you grab to rely on to take you to a safe zone; where ever that may be.

Too many people take entirely too much for granted here. It's nice to think you're going to grow carrots & beans and battle the marauders off your spread. It may even have been an episode on The Waltons...

I wish there were more people on this forum who endured or survived the Bosnian conflict. It would help to differentiate between the fantasy and reality of a sociopolitical/economic collaspe or civil conflict.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts