Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've started putting back kerosene recently and now I want to know how long it can last for.
Also, I buy it down the local store in one litre bottles and would it be best for me to transfer it into a larger container/s or leave it in the small air-tight bottles?

Thanks in advance.

·
Forum Administrator
16,782 Posts
Last winter my wife and I bought 15 gallons of kerosene. I have a few 16 gallon drums I store different types of fuel in - a couple are used for gasoline, and one is used for kerosene. These drums had a type of syrup used for making DR. Pepper on them.

So for storing large amounts of kerosene, I buy in bulk.

In the picture below, the yellow hose is a garden hose - I am washing the syrup out before I put fuel in them. After these drums are washed out, I left them air dry in the shed for a week.

Attachments

·
Infraction Collector
2,409 Posts
I keep a bit too as we have a bunch of those red old fashioned lanterns,....I use them all the time for feeding the animals in the winter when it gets dark early,..etc...'

I much prefer them to coleman lanterns with the little fragile cloth globes in there.

·
Semper Fi
1,863 Posts
Old thread, I know.

Dad passed away in 2000 and my Mom passed away in March. While searching their garage today for painting supplies, I found an old Coleman Heater and 2 sealed cases of fuel (8 gallons total).

I mentioned my parents passing, because this is way beyond Mom to have bought, so this fuel is older then 2000. It has no date on the boxes, just says to store in a ventilated area.

Is the fuel still good?? Everything's sealed so I wanted to keep it that way if it is good to use.

Thanks. Mark

Attachments

·
Registered
14,214 Posts
It will still be good, so long as it was sealed. I've been around some that was stored in the 1950s, and is still good to use. It will also run the diesel pump motor that replaced the electric one.... Two two hundred gallon tanks of the stuff....

·
Semper Fi
1,863 Posts
Thanks for the replies.

I remember using this heater when we had a hunting cabin during the 70's that was not heated. In reality, this fuel could be from the 70's - 80's. I see no reason for Dad to have bought more, they sold that cabin in 83.

Good to know it should still be good. This will make a sweet little backup heater if the electricity goes out this winter.

Mark

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
We are storing a bit of gas for our generator so went to get some Sta-bil for it. Asked if they had a stabilizer for kerosene and they said no never heard of one. Glad to find out you don't need it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Not sure how long Kerosene will last. Some states sell kerosene at the gas station for about the same price as diesel. There is a container made for kerosene. It is blue and has the work kerosene on the side. There is probably a seller that has kerosene at a decent price. Buying by the liter in a bottle is probably expensive

1 - 14 of 14 Posts