Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hypothetically speaking...if a person was going to store a weapon for long term....say 20 years....what would be the best method? (This of course, would not be the primary personal defense gun...for that would be loaded and ready to go at any moment.)

1. I heard that guns could be covered in cosmoline..... not sure what that is...and where to purchase it... and how would one apply it on...

2. Would oiling it liberally and then storing it in an air tight container be enough?

3. What about dipping the gun in motor oil...and then without wiping it down...store it in an air tight container?

Guys...need your words of wisdom...

·
Gun Guy
200 Posts
Cosmoline is a thick greasy substance that was used to preserve guns. The military doesnt use it anymore as far as I know. if you have ever bought an old surplus gun that had never been issued, it had cosmoline on it. If you ever picked up an old surplus gun at a gun show, and had greasy stuff on your hand, again cosmoline.

Anyway Ive heard vaseline can be used instead if you are really looking for long term deep storage (buried) storing it in a vacuum bag cant possibly hurt, maybe throw in some dessicant just for double protection.

Go to the local hardware box store and pick up a 6 inch tube of pvc, two end caps, pipe dope and a hack saw. Dope up the ends and stick em on when you the gun is inside. Pick a spot and bury it. Bury the protected hack saw nearby so you have something to use to break open the gun tube.

There are many ways to protect a gun for long term storage this one is pretty extreme I think.

PS Remove any wood on the gun if possible, (vaccum seal seperately) the vacuum sealing plus the vaseline could stain or discolor the wood over time.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Get a section of heavy, sc60 0r 80 pipe that is big enough for your gun to be placed in completely. You can take the gun apart to keep lenght shorter. Also buy two end plugs.

Pick your gun wisely, it should not have a wood stock. Or plastics that will degrade in oils. Remove the scope to be sealed seperatly with no oil on it.

Disassemble your gun and clean it very well. No residue in the barrel or action at all. Place it in a vacume sack and oil quite liberally inside. follow this technic for mags and other accesoris in a seperate bag, not scope bag! Double vacume seal all bags and place them in the tube securly. Fill anouther bag with ammo. Cleaned ammo that has a sealer applied to it is best. Vacume it and do the same for anything else you want in this container for when it is opened. Fill your container with kerosine and close the top. Both ends should be sealed liberally with a three part pvc sealant. Lay it on a table covered with paper, for a week or so . If any kerosene leaks out you didnt seal it very well and water would have made it in so disassemble and try it agian.

feel free to bury deeply or sink in a pond at this point. It will be safe.

Ither way you have ammo, a rifle, gear, food possibly and camp fuel to burn if you did your job sealling, and ever need it all in one pack.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Hypothetically speaking...if a person was going to store a weapon for long term....say 20 years....what would be the best method? (This of course, would not be the primary personal defense gun...for that would be loaded and ready to go at any moment.)

1. I heard that guns could be covered in cosmoline..... not sure what that is...and where to purchase it... and how would one apply it on...

2. Would oiling it liberally and then storing it in an air tight container be enough?

3. What about dipping the gun in motor oil...and then without wiping it down...store it in an air tight container?

Guys...need your words of wisdom...
You mentioned loaded, don't store magazines long term loaded, it will ruin the springs. Revolver would be ok. As far as storage, it should be OK to slather the gun inside and out with very heavy bearing grease. they even make grease specifically for wet environments, like boats. put it in an air tight container with desiccant and store/bury, preferably on public land so it can't be connected to you.:thumb:

·
Registered
146 Posts
What size gun?

The oil will ruin the ammo. It needs to be stored separate.

You could:
1) Buy one of the modern "barrier" gun sprays from a sporting goods store, and spray it inside and out. These sprays are made expressly for applying a coating that will resist rust. Let it dry.
2) then use a heavy grease. They actually make gun grease for long term storage. You will have to remove this prior to use, or the gun can blow up.
3) Make sure that the hammer is not cocked--you may even have to dry fire it to release the tension on the spring.
4) If you can disassemble the gun before 1&2, that would be best.
5) If you are storing in a gun safe, get reusable dessicant and a heat rod (both made just for the purpose)
6) Stainless weapons, while weaker, would be best.

·
Slayer of Sacred Cows
588 Posts
Be careful of what oils you use some are great for functional lubrication but over long term they can draw mositure.

RIG brand grease would be a safer bet. Brownell's used to carry RIG and they also carry other materials for firearm storage.

·
Limpin to safety.
7,639 Posts
Then come back 20 years later, and find a shopping mall sitting on top of it :D:
Didn't Martin Lawrense have a movie about that?

lol, That reminds me when I had a contract to lay water lines. We were dropping 2 foot pipes in the ground along the roads. We would dig up all sorts of things. Like old bottles, trash, and fiber optic lines. :xeye:

Reactions: David Bevis

·
Registered
226 Posts
That reminds me when I had a contract to lay water lines. We were dropping 2 foot pipes in the ground along the roads. We would dig up all sorts of things. Like old bottles, trash, and fiber optic lines. :xeye:
:eek:

I worked for a guy who hit a MAJOR transcontinental fiber optic line. Not sure of the specifics, but they were in transit before he even hit it, as they supposedly picked him up on satellite. From what I was told, they threatened him with prison time and a bill no-one could pay. I know he was in litigation for something like 2 years before they called the dogs off.

Glad I wasn't working the 'hoe that day :D:

·
High on a mountain top
435 Posts
When vacuum sealing metal things you can put an old towel on any sharp corners first, that way it will help protect the bag from something poking through :)

·
Leave Me Alone
434 Posts
I have personally tested this and it works. Buried a gun for 10 years.
I took a Ruger Mk I 22 pistol and a Remington 870 Pump and 300 rounds of ammo each at my hunting camp. I thought that in case of an "Oh Sh*t" type bug out, at least I would have the basics. My camp was in a swampy area and had been flooded twice during this time of 10 years.
I used 8" Heavy white PVC pipe with end caps sliconed on the ends. I took the shot gun and pistol, cleaned them and gave them a liberal coating of "Rig Gun Grease". I applied it with my fingers and rubbed it on, but not too thick. I put a greasy patch through the bore and sprayed Break-Free into the action and mechanism. I then took an old bed sheet and cut a section large enough to roll the shotgun up in it about 3 layers. Same with the pistol. I then took a large jug of break-free and saturated the bed sheet with the liquid while the gun was rolled up in it. I found a roll of thick, heavy duty plastic bags that were used for hauling away asbestos from old buildings. (about 4 or 5 times as thick as a garbage/ lawn bag) I put the guns in a bag, twisted the end and taped it, then put it into two more bags, doing the same. I put the guns into the PVC pipe. I bagged up the ammo in ziplock bags in the factory boxes, then into three of the same type of bags used for the guns. KEEP OIL OR GREASE AWAY FROM THE AMMO. Just for good measure, I threw in about 20 small desicant packs. After all was in the PVC tube, I coated the ends and outer ends of the tube with thick silicone sealant from a caulking gun and slid the caps on, tapping them down firmly.
I buried them horizontally in a trench, with the tube being about 1 foot below the surface. My idea here was not to avoid metal detectors, but to avoid detection or theft, by leaving them in the camp itself. I decided not to rebuild my camp/ shack after the last time the area flooded, and dug up the tube. It had been just over 10 years, by about 3 weeks. The guns were in perfect condition, the ammo was too, and I shot some of it to be sure. The Pipe was starting to get a little bit brittle. I was going to open it with a hacksaw, but instead, busted it open with a hammer. It had not leaked. Some of the grease had dried up a little, but protected the gun. There was no rust.
I recently made a floating gun case the same way, for traveling to a hunting camp in a boat. I siliconed a cap on one end of the tube, and put a screw on cap on the other end. I put some rolled up egg crate foam and slid it into the tube and I slide my rifle and ammo into the foam and screw the top on for transport in the boat. It protects my rifle and floats too.
Last tip.... do not store you gun in the hard foam lined rifle cases with the standard egg crate foam in it. The foam is processed with steam, and moisture rests in many of the little bubbles in the foam. As the foam gets older, the bubbles rupture and can get moisture on the gun and cause rust. I have had to peel the foam off of a now rust orange colored gun for more than one person in a few years. Some had only orange freckles, but it surely ruined a nice high dollar Weatherby Rifle. Their guns were stored in the foam lined hard case for about 1 1/2 to 2 years. If you must store it in the foam lined hard case, use the bed sheet trick above moistened with break-free or quality gun oil,and wrap the gun in one or two layers of the sheet to ensure it's protection.:thumb:

·
Gunsmith
203 Posts
Just remember for however you do it, when you do go to dig it up etc. You somehow have to make it serviceable again. Some of the above suggested I could see taking days with proper cleaning agents to get the gun back into a usable state.

So you may want to also think about burying a bunch of cleaning supplies near it so you can make it usable again, or use one of the methods that are not as extreme but again will they work? Personally I have found air tight does not necessarily mean rust free definitely need something in there to remove moisture.

Personally if I was to do it I would plan to do more than 1 and do them in more than 1 way, I mean really everyone can guess but bearing actually doing it how are you going to know its going to work? I would also practice maybe try one and leave it barried for a month and go dig it up see how it is if its good maybe try again for a year if its still good then I would think there's a good chance chance it would be good in 20 years.

Also depending on what you barrie "someone help I can't spell that and my spellchecker wont correct :p" you may want to avoid steel case ammunition, more chance of corrosion.

edit: I wrote this before reading 1911's post wasn't posted when I wrote this but don't really want to re do it. Nice to see that someone has actually tried this and had it work for them although its off putting that the pvc broke down that quickly

·
Banned
1,092 Posts
Cosmoline and vasaline are the same thing. It's called planum by the oil industry which was a waste product. Dupont took the stuff and sold it to industry and the military with the simple addition of a fancy trade name.

Vasaline is planum thats been refined to take out the funky smell and yucky black/ brown impurities.

So if you go to some petrolium jelley for $2 a pound versus $ 20+ a pound stuff through Brownells.

One can carefully heat it up to mak it more fluid and pour in to the bore and action. Also if you have a wood stocked weapon on should segregate
it from the metal, so as to vacume pack it, so one isn't trying to extract comoline forever.

Rifleman 336

1 - 14 of 14 Posts