Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i have a question. Lets say that there was a long term power outage. Be it from a solar storm, emp whatever. What happens when the generators at the nuclear power plants run out of fuel? It is my understanding that the large cooling pools would eventually heat up, and explode after a few days without the pumps running?

If this is the case(somone please tell me its not) living on the east coast, when i look at this map, tells me im pretty much screwed huh?

·
Registered
755 Posts
Well the Pumps for cooling on ships are powered from the reactor so i dont see why land base ones would be any different.

Aux power sources are only used at start up.

#Reactor Scram rig planet for reduce eletrical!#

·
Banned
4,069 Posts
OP said solar flare,emp.
Controls would not work.
Nuclear reaction without control.
Run like hell.
Emergency controls don't need power to work

If you actually want to learn why your post is so incorrect, google "reactor scram" and you'll learn that gravity and springs are what cause the insertion of the control rods. These are not electrically operated. Electricity is needed for withdrawal of the rods, but a loss of power uncouples the rods from the latching mechanism and the springs and gravity then force the rods into the core causing immediate shutdown

I'm not getting into the reactor/cooling pool discussion again. If the OP would search, they would learn that this has been discussed before. Maybe some of the other Nukes/ex-Nukes or others in the industry would like to chime in again, but not me.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Where are the Nucs when you need them. I know their is a way to drop the reaction with out power. They would be able to explain it better, that if they can legally.

Edit lol Never mind he is here.

·
Mod Certified PITA!
12,092 Posts
Nuclear power plants are set up to shut down automatically if anything goes wrong. Requires no power, no human intervention, no act of God: Something interrupts normal operation, the control rods drop, the reaction subsides, the radioactive material becomes as inert as plain rock. The only way to stop a shutdown would be to do MASSIVE damage to the reactor, probably on the nature of a major earthquake or nuclear blast. Crashing a plane into the containment dome won't do it.

Worry more about a dam collapsing...

·
Registered
81 Posts
WOW! You are right. He is here.
Sorry. Didn't mean to upset anyone.
Yes you are correct. I don't know jack about nuclear power plant controls,but I do know
the one 15 miles from my house does provide some great fishing.
I am going to go to another thread and learn how to make bread or something.
I'll leave this thread to the nuclear physicisic'tisicist. Darn. Can't even spell it.
Everybody have a good day.

·
Banned
4,069 Posts
WOW! You are right. He is here.
Sorry. Didn't mean to upset anyone.
Yes you are correct. I don't know jack about nuclear power plant controls,but I do know
the one 15 miles from my house does provide some great fishing.
I am going to go to another thread and learn how to make bread or something.
I'll leave this thread to the nuclear physicisic'tisicist. Darn. Can't even spell it.
Everybody have a good day.
If you don't know jack about nuclear power plant controls, why did you post this?

scneck said:
OP said solar flare,emp.
Controls would not work.
Nuclear reaction without control.
Run like hell.
I'm sorry if my post offended you, but posting stuff like this is irresponsible and tends to spread fear. Fear (and ignorance) is the reason we can't build more nuclear power plants in the US even though it would ease our dependance on foreign oil.

·
Senior Reactor Operator
1,139 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts