Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are two types of PESSK kits the ENE'er should carry on them if they are lucky enough to be able to access all their gear when the hammer has dropped. I suspect most of us wont be in the right place when this happens..The list and pictures below can give you a general idea of the items you might need. Each person should customize thier kit to their skill level.

A- The "Existing PEESK" that you use for everyday living. This will be a larger more detail and indepthed kit for living off of. The contents of each persons kit may vary depending on the skills the individual has aquired. This kit should be stored in your LBE or Ruck.

B- The "Emergency PEESK". This will only include smaller items one would use for emergency situation should the evader become seperated from his LBE and ruck. This kit should fit in your pocket and include very basic items. I keep items in my kit incase I want to be found in the event I get hurt out there training alone.

A-Your Existing PEESK:

* MillBank Water Filter bag
* 1-2 are Water Pure Tabs & and Taste Tabs
* British Issue Iodine drops and Taste solution Crystals
* 2 lighters
* Various clear plastic bags and plastic sheet for solar stills
* Clear platic drinking hoses for solar stills
* White Trashbags (30 count travel pack)
* Mag Block
* Fishing kit (black bottle)
* Snare Wire (need to resupply so its not shown)
* Black Tape (not shown)
* Zipper Storage Pouch

B-The Emergency PEESK:

* Small Fishing Kit
* Magnisium & Striker Block
* Spare Swiss Army Knife
* Glow In the Dark Whistle
* Button Compass
* Emergency Poncho I can use as a Poncho or use to make a small shelter
* Emergency Filter Straw
* Petz Emergency Headlamp light /Strobe light (w/ red light)
* One Triox tab
* Face Paint (for camo and you can use the Mirror for signaling)

I can use my BHI E&E drop pouch or the items can be spread out in your BDU pockets..I generally spread them out secured in my BDUs.

This list does not include items such as your utility knife (k-bar, spec-plus etc etc etc), ammo, 550 cord or other standard items you should have in your gear..

·
Woman Hater
1,074 Posts
Good looking kit, though have you ever checked out the Issued SAS kit in a tin? I was issued these when I served and one tin lasted me well over 5 months during an SERE behind enemy lines. The kit is quite smaller, but compact is good. You can also use the tin to cook with, something no pouch can do.

NSN: 8456-99-126-6980

Features:

SAS MoD Survival tin, contains 17 handy survival items. Comes in handy

waterproof tobacco tin, and fit in any smock pocket.

Contents:

-Water Resistant Tin

-Vinyl Tape
-Pen knife
-Matches

-Pencil
-Button compass
-Whistle
-Wire Saw
-Puritabs
-Sewing kit

-Safety Pins
-Instructions

-Snare Wire

-Candle

-Flint & Striker

-Hacksaw Blade

-Fishing kit

Attachments

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
In either kit,it might be wise to throw in a couple of foil packed wetwhips,like they give with BBq takeout.Not much space to take up,and can be used for TP,too.No sense running around with racing stripe undies.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good looking kit, though have you ever checked out the Issued SAS kit in a tin?
Easier and cheaper to make my own. I dont see the point in buying one when you're just going to have to modify it any how...

Ive got to ask, what did you cook in that small Altoid size canister? Id also be interested to hear more about this 5 month SERE event..

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
You can also keep either your emergency kit or existance kit in a peanutbutter jar. You cant cook in it but it will keep the contents dry, mud/debri free and you can carry water in it...They store more orginized and a small peanutbutter jar will fit in a BHI E&E drop pouch..

·
Hoist the colors
49 Posts
Pathfinder - excuse the hijack:
One other point about E&E kits, try living off of it for at least a weekend. This will point out it's strengths and weaknesses. This is where knowing more primitive skills will come in handy. I'm going to have to dig up my pics from January where I spent the night in a shelter I built with only a mylar bag to sleep in.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The thing about only spending a weekend out is there is always the sense or reliefe that it will end. For me or anyone that cant dedicate a week out surviving primative. Most you can hope to accomplish is getting a wee taste of the hardships an E&E'er would face. But even that puts you way ahead of most folks who would die of the culture shock of living outta of a ruck and havibng to skip days at a time w/o a meal...Ive lived from my LBE many times. Its ceratinly NOT fun but you learn so much about yourself...

You dont even have to leave the house really. I dare anyone to start fasting on a Thrusday night or Friday and follow through to Sunday night and see how you react to it and how it effects you. And thats at home where you have a nice bed to climb into at night, no bugs eating you and the Tv to divert your attention.....

·
Hoist the colors
49 Posts
Very true. Longer would be better, but at least a weekend would hopefully start to develop a mindset. Those that are willing to push themselves further will only be ahead of the curve when it is really needed.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Great thread! Most important for any S.E.R.E. action in my opinion is knowledge. The guys and gals in the Military should take advantage of the (very tough) course and learn all the can. The ones that are not in the Military can learn from someone who has learned or just study and practice. I would rather have a large amount of knowledge and a knife than a great kit and no knowledge of how to use it.

Has anyone actually made and used a solar still? Any input on the way to use it effectively? How about a Magnesium fire starter? Fire Piston? Fire Drill? I would love to hear reports of how these things worked out. I have never used a Magnesium fire starter. A Drill and piston I have. A solar still I have and was disappointed in the water that it put out. Very small amount. Better to catch rain if possible. Maybe find a stream and treat the water.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have made a few solar stills..Using bags over live vegitation and the dug ones in the ground. Best to make a LOT of them if you intend on living. At least a dozen..I too was dispointed. Also you have to watch what sort of leafes you use. I have found saplings work the best... I agree best to catch the rain. I will catch the rain over night and tank up on it even if my canteen are topped off... Getting water from a stream around here is RISKY as you will probably get a healthy dose of pesticide or nitrates along w/ it...

There is a thread around here where I used my Mag Block too..

Fire Building in the rain

I have experimiented w/ a fire drills and such..Infact I have an experiment in the making w/ a bamboo fire saw Ill complete this weekend..They are all a PITA..I prefer the Mag block. I carry several fire sources w/ me. But nothing can relace a skill..

Fire Saw Thread

·
Hoist the colors
49 Posts
I tried to use a mag fire starter, it is hard to keep the shavings from going all over the place. I removed the striker and chucked the magnesium. Drilled a hole in a broken piece of hammer handle and inserted the striker. Drilled a hole in the top of the handle and looped 550 cord thru it. I also have a small knife with a lanyard hole on the cord. I have never built a solar still, something else I need to try.

·
Registered
432 Posts
My preferred method is a lighter or matches. After that I like the fire piston as the thing uses no fuel and just about any lint type substance that is dry can be used. I usually keep a small plastic container of suitable material for this. Important thing when using a Piston is to have the dry tender ready to go before you get the ember and have the fire built already but not started. If you have to go looking for wood and tender while it is in the starting stage you very well may be left without a fire.

Hey Pathfinder (I feel like I am talking to myself) those were good pictures of the fire starting in wet conditions. I think it is important to practice in all environments now to work out any problems before TSHTF. Keep up the good work!

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
LOL I know what you mean..Your Name gets me too..Anyhow indeed I try to practice in all weather/conditions. One I fail to fall into though is snow. Either it falls at the wrong time and I cant get out or it doesnt fall at all...

I take pictures of everything..I bet I have close to 1500 pictures..Thanks!

·
Earthwalker.
10,288 Posts
The thing about only spending a weekend out is there is always the sense or reliefe that it will end. For me or anyone that cant dedicate a week out surviving primative. Most you can hope to accomplish is getting a wee taste of the hardships an E&E'er would face. But even that puts you way ahead of most folks who would die of the culture shock of living outta of a ruck and havibng to skip days at a time w/o a meal...Ive lived from my LBE many times. Its ceratinly NOT fun but you learn so much about yourself...

You dont even have to leave the house really. I dare anyone to start fasting on a Thrusday night or Friday and follow through to Sunday night and see how you react to it and how it effects you. And thats at home where you have a nice bed to climb into at night, no bugs eating you and the Tv to divert your attention.....
HEHe i already know how not eating effects me AAAAAHHHHHH:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

·
Registered
848 Posts
If you can get them over here try obtaining one of these ...
A aircrew emergency flying ration ... and it is designed to be able to cook in the alumiumn containers ... has pre-drilled holes in sides and has 2 pieces of wire inside to make handles ...
A great bit of kit ... have used mine a few times ...

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.