Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
7,504 Posts
Already took advanced training (EMT-B,) and might further it if the opportunity arises. As a result my gear contains things many might not have - cervical collars, airway adjuncts and BVMs, blood pressure cuffs - and all the same stuff in pediatric sizes.

Mostly it hasn't been used, but the occasional incident has convinced me it's money well spent.

·
Forum Administrator
6,424 Posts
1) OP could place this in the right section. It would behoove you to read the rules and post where appropriate.

2)
Where can I get antibiotics ?
Where can I learn about them?

This site has been around for a long time. This has been covered time and time again. Go to the "Health, Fitness and First aid" section and do a simple search. I don't mean to be a grouch but, the same questions pop up every day. You cannot expect someone to do the Google searches for you. Here I'll show you...

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=antibiotics/survivalistboards

Click on "more results......" If not......well......

At least look around before asking the same thing we hear all the time. We are all glad to help when needed but, we don't work for you. Why should we search and do all the leg work?

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
1) OP could place this in the right section. It would behoove you to read the rules and post where appropriate.

2)

This site has been around for a long time. This has been covered time and time again. Go to the "Health, Fitness and First aid" section and do a simple search. I don't mean to be a grouch but, the same questions pop up every day. You cannot expect someone to do the Google searches for you. Here I'll show you...

At least look around before asking the same thing we hear all the time. We are all glad to help when needed but, we don't work for you. Why should we search and do all the leg work?
Wow, Shawn, kind of hard on the new guy?

·
Renaissance Man
7,503 Posts
If there is no longer any medical personnel, equipment, and supplies left, and alternative medicine doesn't do the trick, I die.
This pretty much sums it up.

I also start by learning the most common injuries and learning to avoid them. As a modern society, we've become pretty complacent about medical/fire/police protection and it has changed the way we react to danger. Before these services existed, people had more common sense about handling dangerous things and avoiding accidents.

Anything you need on a daily basis, you should have at least 3 months stored. If you can research long term homeopathic remedies that would be similar, do it now before you need the information. Additionally, many ailments can be cured simply by losing weight and getting in shape.

Az

·
Bad Dog
1,190 Posts

2)

Pretty intense instructions for a guy who has been here for 3-4 months.......
chill pill needed ???

·
Adventurer
19,333 Posts
What do most of you plan to do in case of injury or illness beyond what a first aid kit can handle
If there is no longer any medical personnel, equipment, and supplies left, and alternative medicine doesn't do the trick, I die.
Antibiotics.

Get them.
This pretty much sums it up.

I also start by learning the most common injuries and learning to avoid them. As a modern society, we've become pretty complacent about medical/fire/police protection and it has changed the way we react to danger. Before these services existed, people had more common sense about handling dangerous things and avoiding accidents.

Anything you need on a daily basis, you should have at least 3 months stored. If you can research long term homeopathic remedies that would be similar, do it now before you need the information. Additionally, many ailments can be cured simply by losing weight and getting in shape.

Az
learn organic chemistry and learn to compound your own stuff (nothing illegal) but you can make alot of things yourself pretty easily with minimal investment in lab ware for the price of one gun you can get a real nice setup most drugs are or at one point derived from organic compounds typically found in plants
and even inorganics like solvents can be created from organics and mineral compounds

Today there are some 13,000 drugs in our pharmacopoeia, though a physician will normally administer no more than 100 different pharmaceuticals in her/his lifetime. Most physicians stick to right around 30 different drugs prescribed during their entire career.

The Pharmacopoeia of 1820 consisted mainly of herbal medicines, with few inorganic compounds, such as calomel (mercury), a favorite among regulars. Though herbs have been dropped from today’s Pharmacopoeia, approximately 40% of those drugs listed today are related to herbs in some way, whether synthetics or derivatives.
and while most people find chemistry boring it is very very important also get books OOOOOOOOLD ones like 1800s and before when they actually talk about how to make the stuff.

for example during the civil war when quinine was hard to come by they started using dogwood as a quinine substitute for treating malaria

or making aspirin from the river willow

extracting essential oils for insect repellants or for treating ailments and paracites
making anesthetics for surgery like ether and chloroform.
making antibiotics (penicillin that we use now was cultured from a moldy cantaloupe in chicago)

but most of your basic stuff can be made at home and legally

or maby i am just mad

·
Adventurer
19,333 Posts
This is not your grandfather’s world. It is full of very nasty bugs trained by few decades of modern medicine to laugh at “organic compounds”.
true but not all are resistant and not all injuries and ailments are infections

for example say you get gangrene in your leg and i dont have any antibiotics in the first place to have prevented it. Would you like me to amputate with you conscious or with you put under? because there are only 2 ingredients to make ether or chloroform 1 being ethanol and the other being different for each but both readily available
(ether is safer to administer by the way)

3 choices are available
1 die
2 lose a leg and be in a **** load of pain while i remove it risking dying from shock
3 be asleep while i remove it and wake up missing a leg

·
Registered
43 Posts
true but not all are resistant and not all injuries and ailments are infections

for example say you get gangrene in your leg and i dont have any antibiotics in the first place to have prevented it. Would you like me to amputate with you conscious or with you put under? because there are only 2 ingredients to make ether or chloroform 1 being ethanol and the other being different for each but both readily available
(ether is safer to administer by the way)

3 choices are available
1 die
2 lose a leg and be in a **** load of pain while i remove it risking dying from shock
3 be asleep while i remove it and wake up missing a leg
I'll pick #3, Please.....:D:

·
Adventurer
19,333 Posts
I think aside from random mutant bugs

the biggest killers of people will be paracites and injuries and bacterial/viral infections most are not super bugs and can be treated and as your chem knowledge grows you can creat more complex compounds and more varied reagents

1 - 20 of 37 Posts