Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw someone on youtube long term storing whole wheat and corn bought from a livestock feed store?

Anyone have any thoughts here? Having a bit of trouble finding affordable bulk whole grains. Also, anyone know of a good alternative to baking powder. Or making baking powder store a long time. I do bake, but not often to keep a large rotating stock.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
If you lvie in or near an area that produces grains, then there's a grain exchange near you. I get 100# bags of wheat for $15. Generally it's not pretty clean. We clean it before we grind it to be sure.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My short term goal here is (3) 5 gal buckets of wheat (2) of whole corn (2) of rice (2) beans. About all I can store here that can stay cool. I have the rice and mosto of the beans part.

On things like 10 lb bags of rice or beans. Is it ok to place the sealed bags in a mylar bag with oxy absorbers? Want to keep the varieties separate.

·
Scandinavian survivor
4,106 Posts
Well, using feed wheat straight out of the sack could put you in a bind. PAW Production says it´s OK and I´m not questioning their experience but feed wheat can have lower protein content. No, there is probably not a wheat field for humans and another for live stock but wheat has certain properties that determine wether it is used for either man or beast. Ask your suppliers for protein and specially gluten content.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Well, using feed wheat straight out of the sack could put you in a bind. PAW Production says it´s OK and I´m not questioning their experience but feed wheat can have lower protein content. No, there is probably not a wheat field for humans and another for live stock but wheat has certain properties that determine wether it is used for either man or beast. Ask your suppliers for protein and specially gluten content.
You definitely want to get some info on anything you buy in quantity. That being said, going in for ONE bag of wheat and asking a million questions probably will not get you all the answers you seek.

The principal difference is the amount of CLEANING given to the wheat. "Triple cleaned" is typically what you see in the health food stores, etc. "Double cleaned" is typically what you see in "feed" wheat. You can winnow it yourself if it really bothers you. The chaff won't hurt anything, other than add a little more roughage.

Folks have to remember, the food we eat on a daily basis does NOT get produced in a sterile laboratory!

You can use these methods shown here to further clean your wheat-

1 - 7 of 7 Posts