Survivalist Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
^^^^^^^^^ those are the things I’m talking about alcohol pads, wet wipes etc.
Things that don’t store long time we’ll. My plan is when things start looking bad I’ll start stocking up on those.
I know ,I know , things aremm be already looking bad ☹☹☹
Fwiw...
I have several packs of "germ" wipes in a zip lock that have lasted for at least a couple years...and I have every expectation they will still be useable for years to come.
Used to run an open mic prior COVID and always wiped down the mics between performers. Would buy them at the dollar store a dozen at a time. COVID hit and OM's we're cancelled. The wipes then became "gold" for antiviral cleaning. Entra packs were kept in their original sealed packaging and then in a zip lock. No issues with drying out and it's been going on 3 years now. Just an fyi.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
...Looking for items that have a very short shelf life to buy last minute.
As mentioned by others, fats & oils.

Pretty much "it" insofar as our "last trip" to the store. If we had some magical for-warning of a last trip that is.

Some folks certainly wouldn't have a want for such. Folks whom can or do produce their own (or reasonably be able source them without normalcy infrastructure), as an example. We're not there yet is all.

Would we have other WANTS if given said magical last shopping trip? Sure!

Things we enjoy, which can't be produced locally (or at least not feasibly / reasonably locally). Everyone's different though, so no sense really going on about what WE might grab in depth.

What MAY BE relavent of what we MIGHT grab:

Pre-made protein drinks & protein bars. The shelf stable kind, although the types we enjoy are only decent up to a around a year. 6-9 month BB dating, then still allrite a few months beyond.

Relevance: easy & no cooking, no prep time. Decent calories, rather than sugar bombs, so handy as a gap filler between meals when working hard. Also low profile "meal" replacements if we were to try to be low profile or just "easy" walk about.

·
Have gun, Will travel
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
As mentioned by others, fats & oils.

Pretty much "it" insofar as our "last trip" to the store. If we had some magical for-warning of a last trip that is.

Some folks certainly wouldn't have a want for such. Folks whom can or do produce their own (or reasonably be able source them without normalcy infrastructure), as an example. We're not there yet is all.

Would we have other WANTS if given said magical last shopping trip? Sure!

Things we enjoy, which can't be produced locally (or at least not feasibly / reasonably locally). Everyone's different though, so no sense really going on about what WE might grab in depth.

What MAY BE relavent of what we MIGHT grab:

Pre-made protein drinks & protein bars. The shelf stable kind, although the types we enjoy are only decent up to a around a year. 6-9 month BB dating, then still allrite a few months beyond.

Relevance: easy & no cooking, no prep time. Decent calories, rather than sugar bombs, so handy as a gap filler between meals when working hard. Also low profile "meal" replacements if we were to try to be low profile or just "easy" walk about.
Exactly what I’m talking about . I’d love to hear more ideas

·
Registered
151 Posts
Whole foods. For example. Let's say you want lemon juice. If you dry lemons and store them correctly, they could last for up to 25 years, depending on how they are dried and stored. When you want lemon juice, re-hydrate the dried lemons, and make juice from them. I think I may have posted something around here somewhere about making juice from anything, but I'll do it here anyway, just to be sure:

1. Fill a food grade container (completely, to the top) with equal parts raw lemon (or whatever) or re-hydrated raw lemon (or whatever) and clean water.
2. Seal container shut, and set aside (away from heat and light) for an hour.
3. Strain out solids. You now have an infusion, with a strength of 25%.
4. Repeat steps 1-3, 3 more times, using previously made infusion instead of water and new lemon each time. You now have a juice, with a strength of 100%.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts