Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Michigander
1,302 Posts
Kind of depends on what you consider to be Long Term, and depends on what you like to eat.

I don't consider Freezer or Fridge. Figure, power out, it's the first to be used up. Probably a good month plus in there to start from. Little generator should last that long...

SHELF STUFF
I have 3 levels.

The Less than 1 year Pantry,
BUT it has 6 months worth of food that I TRY really hard to rotate. Including my GOSSNER milk from Dollar Tree good for 12 month shelf life and NUTS of any kind, which get funky and then turn rancid. Peanut M&Ms are nasty once they get old, lol

The 2-5 year level.
Canned goods, Keystone Meats. Extra jars of peanut butter, canned regular butter, canned cheese, tuna... stuff like that.
All those little mix things in a pouch like Stove Top, Mac N Cheese, Ramen Noodles, Cake Mixes, Ketchup, etc.

The 10-30 year stuff.
Dry Goods mostly. LDS #10 cans. 5 gal pails from Emergency Essentials and Augason Farms. Mountain House stuff, which the recently re-rated to 50 years if stored correctly.

SO... what area are you asking about?

·
Michigander
1,302 Posts
I'd grab the things that are going to crash out, like cooking oils etc.

Get the newest date I could, giving the longest shelf life.
I LOVE peanut butter, but I found that I have better inventory control if I buy smaller jars rather than the 5 lb giant ones. The smaller ones Tend to stay fresh longer.
OH, and yeast. FRESH JAR (not packets) of yeast, thrown into the freezer.

PET FOOD. I rotate 3 month of kibble for the Fur Faces. Beyond that and the oils start to get funky. Especially in summer. Winter, seems to last longer.

Maybe Coffee & Flour? I've never had a problem with 7 yr old cans of coffee, but some people might. Same with flour. I guess it gets old, but I've never had issues with stuff 3 yrs old on the shelf. HOWEVER, I Have had issues with bad yeast, won't rise.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts