Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need opinioins and/or places to start looking for a long range scope for my 7.62x54 PSL. I wouldnt know what to determine as the maximum range both for my specific rifle or my environment, mountinous woodlands. Id say 600 yards maybe more would be a safe distance to assume as the practical maximum.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Lot more questions to answer than that. What specific weapons platform, what geographic area, climate, how about your own skill level? Using boxed ammo or are you loading your own? Going to learn correct adjustments on MOA, windage, elevation, spin drift, etc? Loads of questions. Your best course of action if you plan to become efficient at that range is finding a good course and or instructor. Learn the right way, then buy according to your skill set.

No offense, just my opinion. I've seen too many guys buy product hoping it makes them better. Find lot of it collecting dust or for sale on ebay and craigslist. long range shooting is an art form, a specific discipline.

·
Banned
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks to all for the input! I have a couple older friends (ex marines) in their 40's and 50's where i go to the range, max distance 100 yards. and they have been teaching me the ins and outs as i go along. Right now I am buying the russian surplus ammo. i wouldnt want to spend 2000 on a scope i was thinking 300 but if the scope i want ends up being, for example 450 it wouldnt be a problem for me to spend something of that sort. I was introduced to guns at a very young age so i consider myself to be somewhat of a skilled shooter. At this moment i dont have time fr much reasearch but keep the input coming. instead of buying the side mount i bought a 3 piece mount that replaces the front leaf and attaches to the screw in the rear that holds the stock to the reciever. once i find the appropriate scope i will use locktite on the 3 pice mount. I was using a cheap 32x2-7 scope which is nice but i would like to be able to see cleary at a maximum distance. I live in CT. like i said it is hilly/mountainous and woodsy. in some situations one cannot see more than 100 yards, in others i can see for thousands.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Based on what you said, I would suggest you get a side mount and a 1-4x Burris Fullfield TAC30.

Without a lot of practice actually shooting at the distances you've listed, the scope isn't going to make much difference no matter what the cost.

·
المتخلف&
5,508 Posts
I need opinioins and/or places to start looking for a long range scope for my 7.62x54 PSL. I wouldnt know what to determine as the maximum range both for my specific rifle or my environment, mountinous woodlands. Id say 600 yards maybe more would be a safe distance to assume as the practical maximum.
Firstly, 7.62x54r is not going to be a long range tack driving round, especially out of the PSL. It's no super duper sniper, that said you can string together man sized hits up to around 600, but that's assuming you have the skill to do this, and it won't be that easy using a PSL and milsurp.

As far as absolute best long range scope, you'll get a million answers. Lueppy Mark 4, S&B, Hensoldt, you name it, but I'd want to stick to something with some range finding capability for long range application, no matter the brand. Another thing to look out for is limited FOV at longer rnages. This is why I never exceed 10x for anything, varible scopes are practicle, but I sitll have this obsession with 6x fixed glass.

That said, staying true to platform, the PSO-03 Soviet 8x is about the best you're going to find to slide on a PSL, for under $500, I think, there are a couple other 4x, 6x and 8x PSL options. With a good us style milstd mount you can put whatever you want on it, but what's your price range? Under $500? SWFA fixed SS 6 or 10x would be my first pick. Though there are one or two others I'd trust, there's just not many under that mark. Above that, there's dozens of solid options. If you have tonnes of money for a long range set up, i.e. the ability to put hensoldt and s&b on a PSL, I'd sell the PSL and get an M1A or PTR SS/MSG if a practical semi auto is wanted, oh, and handloading equipment. Ymmv. You know what they say about opinions....

The main thing is being able to be proficient with whatever you have...

·
المتخلف&
5,508 Posts

·
Banned
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yea, the PSL is pretty much just a big AK. Believe it or not, the G2s are actually really good for the price.
when reading about the G2 trigger assembly i saw those dreaded words "922r compliance". would i have any problems? and also i have read I can modify the 10 rd magazine in a 20 rd magazine. is that still compliant?

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
For the 300 bucks you want to spend, and 600 yards being your mark, I would have to second the SWFA super sniper. Aside from the fact that the scopes are great for the money, (there are LE agencies whose snipers use these optics out there) the scope holds its value really well. Over at snipershide you could easily resell one and get most of your money back in a heartbeat. Again: http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-10x42-Tactical-30mm-Riflescope-P499.aspx

The other option, while not as resellable that I would recommend for you in the Bushnell 10x40 Elite. http://swfa.com/Bushnell-10x40-Elite-Tactical-Rifle-Scope-P48273.aspx Also a lower end professional LR rifle scope. Don't buy anything out of cheaper than dirt.

If I had to pick between the two get the Super Sniper.

My write up on optics: http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=196533 Now not all the links may work due to the time ago that I submitted this thread, but you will get the jist of what I am saying. You know, to validate that I know what I am talking about.

Oh and yes, I have owned both of these optics, and still own one. Even though I have several $3000.00 rifle scopes in my arsenal.

·
Ginger
47 Posts
I use a Burris Black Diamond on a rather um large caliber rifle and i really like it. Holds true and is cheaper than some of the big names without sacrificing quality at all. You might give them a look too

·
Always Gunnin
535 Posts
I have a PSL and put on a Kalinka Optics high rise side mount for fifty some bucks and then got super low rings and put on a Vortex Diamondback 3.5-10x50 on mine and it does just fine. I am a huge fan of 50mm bells myself. I have only 300 in this setup and have no complaints. I dont know about the mount you have for yours but if it is a scout mount setup I have Bushnell Trophy XLT's (2-7x32 I think) on my Mosin's and they hold up against that round very good as well.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts