Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Off-roadie
895 Posts
And? what about them? distances? prices? colors? flavors? makes? bolt or semi? left or right handed? whats your question? be much more exact in the info you want

·
Banned
486 Posts
I have a

Mossberg Mossberg 100 ATR .308Win Special Purpose Night Train. I paid $360.00 For it on sale. Scoop was included.

& Remington Model 700™ SPS LTD TACTICAL .308 I paid $650.00 For it. Scoop was not included.

Both guns are black synthetic and bolt action. Great long range guns!

·
I Love Guns
317 Posts
if u want a great long range rifle cheap get yourself a K98 Mauser 8mm rifle....there great for long range and short if need be....over all the best bolt action rifle u can buy ...and if u want u can get a Mosin-Nagant there heap also and very dead on for a bolt action rifle....and there only around 100$.....put a 50$ scope on it...and dump 100$ in round u have a nice long range rifle and 300 rounds to play with...and that sould be a good start

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
rambo how about your skill at shooting a long range weapon? have you been trained for long range shooting?will it be more gun than you can handle? will it out shoot you?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Night train

where did you buy 'night train' if i may ask and did it come with a bi-pod?THANKS Q UOTE=Andrew1985;258960]I have a

Mossberg Mossberg 100 ATR .308Win Special Purpose Night Train. I paid $360.00 For it on sale. Scoop was included.

& Remington Model 700™ SPS LTD TACTICAL .308 I paid $650.00 For it. Scoop was not included.

Both guns are black synthetic and bolt action. Great long range guns![/QUOTE]

·
Registered
350 Posts
really, I would ask what range you are looking for. The .338 Lapua magnum is probably going to get you the longest range out of all three of those. I would look at the .308 depending on the distance you are looking for, or first depending on the distance you are looking for. I would drop the .243 off the list since it's not a caliber that I like, but that's just me. After that, it depends on your rifle and your optics. With either .338 or .308, if you are working with a really nice rifle (figure $5k and up) figure you are also spending around $2.5k to $3k on a scope in order to match the rifles level of accuracy. What is your shooting background? What is your budget? What distance are you looking for? What is the rifle to be used for? There are many questions beyond those which will give us a better idea of how to direct you, but I would start with those basics.

--Wintermute

·
Banned
486 Posts
where did you buy 'night train' if i may ask and did it come with a bi-pod?THANKS Q UOTE=Andrew1985;258960]I have a

Both guns are black synthetic and bolt action. Great long range guns!
[/QUOTE]

Yeah I got it on Gunbrokers.com and it was then sent to my local ffl. It came with the bipod and everything.

·
11B3P
754 Posts
IMHO .243 is a varmint gun, medium range. .308 will reach out further and is more cost effective than any of the other fancy calibers (custom calibers/wildcats).
The .338 is specialty cartridge and if you can afford the platform and a thousand of rounds to get proficient then party on.

For mortals like myself I havea .308 in a Rem 700 platform. Full rig will run you under 1k if you shop well,DO NOT skimp on the scope!

·
Registered
1 Posts
it all depends on what your looking for in a round the .243 is a smaller caliber but it also has a higher muzzle velocity but lacks over all kenetic energy at longer ranges. at the cost of a slightly lower muzzle velocity the .308 retains much more kenetic energy at long range. As a round it is more than cappable of reaching out to 1000 to 1200 meters as an effective range providing you have the skill to place it at that distance. Anouther attractive factor for this round is its a very common cartrage all over the country so its always in good supply and is very close to pricing as the .243. The .338 lapua round is easyly the longest range and hardest hitting of the group by far. Its high muzzle velocity combined with mass creates a devistating combination for kenetic energy and it retains its momentum to a far greater extent than the .308. the .338 lapua holds the record for the longest confirmed sniper kill in the mountains of afganistan at 1.5 miles out or in meters thats over 2000 meters easyly proble closer to 2500 meters. one down side and a major disadvantage to this very specillized round is it is very expensive right around 3 times the cost of the other rounds and to really get the full usage out of its effective range a large amount of training is required to get the most bang for your buck out of the round.
As an overall review and personal oppinion based out of experence with all 3 rounds my personal choice is the .308. based solely on its overall abundance even pricing, range and stopping power

1 - 14 of 14 Posts