Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Who is John Galt?
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all....hope this is in the correct forum area.....I am in North Carolina so I am looking for some advice for some fellow Carolinians......1)if buying a rifle or shotgun from a dealer, do you need to have any kind of permit to purchase? 2)Does the same apply to buying from a private party?

I am a bit confused on what I had read about the NC gun laws.

Thanks for any help.

·
Behind Enemy Lines
776 Posts
You do not need a permit. I plan on moving there, so I looked a few days back. Same as New York, you do not need a permit to buy a rifle or shotgun. Pistols, obviously, you do.

·
Who is John Galt?
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I didn't think so but like I said after reading several different articles online about the laws here, I was a bit confused.

·
I'm the boogey man.......
6,686 Posts
No permits for long guns, handguns are on a county by county basis as to needing a permit or not.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
If your moving to Fayetteville stay away from Jim's. Highest prices in town.

·
Behind Enemy Lines
776 Posts
None of us should have to have any kind of permit to buy, own or possess a gun. Ever.
I agree to an extent. Rifles or shotguns..yeah we shouldnt need a permit, nor do I need one here in New York. But pistols its better to have to know who owns one. Only because they can be hidden so much easier than a long rifle or shotgun. Just my opinion.

But I agree we should never, ever be required to have a permit for rifles/shotguns.

·
Happiness is 2 at low 8
1,403 Posts
...But pistols its better to have to know who owns one. Only because they can be hidden so much easier than a long rifle or shotgun...
Wrong answer Charlie...

The purchase of a pistol is absolutely no different than the purchase of a long gun. That handguns can be concealed is a non-issue. If you go to your local FFL and purchase a gun of almost any kind they're going to do a NICS check to make sure you're not a felon or known lunatic. That's all the "permit" you should need, that you are not a "prohibited person". I should not have to kiss the Pope's ring (i.e. be on the good side of some LEO bureaucrat) in order to exercise my Constitutional rights...

Your argument can be extrapolated to mean you think it's okay for a felon or known lunatic to own a long gun, but not a handgun... Either you are "worthy" or you are not. Handgun, long gun it makes no difference.

Thankfully most States these days have shed themselves of the draconian hoops they used make us jump thru... New York is NOT one of them.

Allan

·
Banned
1,533 Posts
But pistols its better to have to know who owns one. Only because they can be hidden so much easier than a long rifle or shotgun. Just my opinion.
So we should have a permit for a weapon that is has less killing power than a rifle or a shotgun ?? Yea , thats the same sick logic you are using .........

Please stay in New York we dont need that type of thinking poisoning the rest of the country .

·
Who is John Galt?
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
...... If you go to your local FFL and purchase a gun of almost any kind they're going to do a NICS check to make sure you're not a felon or known lunatic. That's all the "permit" you should need, that you are not a "prohibited person"......
So once this NICS check is done and you do purchase a long gun, are you 'attached' to that gun anywhere? I mean are you registered, if you will, to that gun purchase then?

·
Happiness is 2 at low 8
1,403 Posts
So once this NICS check is done and you do purchase a long gun, are you 'attached' to that gun anywhere? I mean are you registered, if you will, to that gun purchase then?
Not in the sense I think you mean. The NICS information is supposed to be destroyed within 24 hours of purchase (at least in FL). The Feds are not allowed to keep a record of the check. It is my understanding that some States are thumbing their nose at the "no database" requirement, but that would be a State to State issue. The 4473 form you may, or may not have to fill out when you pick up the gun is kept at the FFL's business location until the BATFE is searching records for a specific gun (they have a make, model and serial number and are tracing the guns ownership) OR the FFL goes out of business.

Allan

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Permits for handguns only in NC.if you buy a rifle or a shotgun all you have to do is fill out that crappy little form,let them do the instant background check and your out the door.If you have a concealed carry permit all you have to do is show them the permit and you don't even have to do any paper work.

Reactions: bluetrain

·
Who is John Galt?
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Permits for handguns only in NC.if you buy a rifle or a shotgun all you have to do is fill out that crappy little form,let them do the instant background check and your out the door.If you have a concealed carry permit all you have to do is show them the permit and you don't even have to do any paper work.
That is what I was hoping to hear.....thanks.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts