Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 170 Posts

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so, people plan and have ammo and gear and stock various ammo and reloading components etc. I have a stock of my own stuff, but was thinking what about longer term. SHTF breaks out, 10 years pass - and the world is some sort of new fronteir. Maybe this is just my excuse to buy another rifle, but here's my thought.

I reload for .357, so - a single shot - Henry is .357. It takes less powder to load, and it is pretty easy. Thinking about what happens after all the .22 is used up, and all the rifle powder is used up. A little stock fo primers, some brass, bullets, and primers - could run a single shot for a long long time - and burns less powder than rifle rounds, but - if you had to you could take deer with one.

There will be the people who stock 20,000 rounds or more, but I'm not one of those people. I have a good bit, but - what might be considered kind of minimalistic, so - thinking of a way to fill the gaps so to speak.

Thinking - just for this effort - outside of regular ammo and reloading stupplies, just to fill the gap
couple extra pounds of powder, just for this concern
couple thousand primers
couple thousand bullets
maybe 500 cases, just to play it safe

Idea being not to just stock copious amounts fo powed and primers, want to have a point to it.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I think you have a good plan. I can see this thread expanding into a lot of opinions about favorite rifles / calibers but you have a solid premise with your goal.
Yes, the .357 can be outperformed by a variety of calibers not in its class, but no one wants to stand in front of one when it is discharged. It is a good self-defense and hunting cartridge if you are skilled in both areas.
I have kept a gallon-sized paint can filled with cast, sized, and lubed .357 bullets forever. Next to it is a gallon jug filled with sized and primed .357 cases. That does not include the loaded ammo I keep.
I own a selection of pistols and a Marlin Lever in that caliber. I can find no fault in your logic or planning for that caliber and the rifle you propose.

·
Dirt Dweller
645 Posts
I agree with OP completely. Another reason to hold on to your revolver type loads is at one point your personal ammo stash may not cycle well in your semi autos. Maybe thefault of your gun or the load. Another thing to prepare for.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Part of the idea of a single shot is - the simplicity, and cost is less than a lever gun, or bolt gun. you can load those as single shots, but at twice the cost, meh - I just want something in the my little stock, that in theory - I could run for thousands of rounds, long after all the other stuff is burned through ... .22 is used up and the well is dry. I thought about a 9mm carbine as well, but - for whatever reason, I think a single shot is likely to have less moving parts, and use less ammo - so, if smart one could have ammo for decades, to run revolver and rifle. I think I'd rather try to take game with .357 than with 9mm if I had to. For smaller game, one could just load .38 special, and only use like 3.5 grains of Win231 per round. That will run a long time per pound of powder.

·
Registered
9,837 Posts
I don't understand the premise at all. But that is nothing new for me.🤷‍♂️

If I was worried about running out of ammo....I would just buy more of the kinds of ammo that I actually think I will need rather than getting some caliber and gun that I don't want to use....so it lasts longer???

·
Registered
644 Posts
so, people plan and have ammo and gear and stock various ammo and reloading components etc. I have a stock of my own stuff, but was thinking what about longer term. SHTF breaks out, 10 years pass - and the world is some sort of new fronteir. Maybe this is just my excuse to buy another rifle, but here's my thought.

I reload for .357, so - a single shot - Henry is .357. It takes less powder to load, and it is pretty easy. Thinking about what happens after all the .22 is used up, and all the rifle powder is used up. A little stock fo primers, some brass, bullets, and primers - could run a single shot for a long long time - and burns less powder than rifle rounds, but - if you had to you could take deer with one.

There will be the people who stock 20,000 rounds or more, but I'm not one of those people. I have a good bit, but - what might be considered kind of minimalistic, so - thinking of a way to fill the gaps so to speak.

Thinking - just for this effort - outside of regular ammo and reloading stupplies, just to fill the gap
couple thousand primers
couple thousand bullets

Idea being not to just stock copious amounts fo powed and primers, want to have a point to it.
Are there animals bigger than deer around? I like 357 more than anything (except -06 maybe) for its versatility, I carry a 2 inch 357 daily, but it wouldn’t be big enough where I live.

·
Learning
6,703 Posts
Even your 2,000 components aren't enough imo.

With 22lr it should have been easy to stock up 20k rounds over the last 10 years. From 2017 through 2019 you should have easily stocked up another 20k.

Then you don't have to worry about ammo for a lifetime

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
16,107 Posts
I have read similar comments many times. Some folk suggest small case rifle rounds like 25/20 win, shooting tiny cast lead bullets, other folks suggest revolver rounds like 357 mag, 44 mag, or 45 Colt. All work well with bullets cast from wheel weights.

My long after SHTF weapon is a Savage 24 in 30/30 win over 20 ga.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I have read similar comments many times. Some folk suggest small case rifle rounds like 25/20 win, shooting tiny cast lead bullets, other folks suggest revolver rounds like 357 mag, 44 mag, or 45 Colt. All work well with bullets cast from wheel weights.

My long after SHTF weapon is a Savage 24 in 30/30 win over 20 ga.
That’s a find-something-to-eat firearm, right there. I wish I would’ve bought one back when I could.

·
Banned
210 Posts

couple thousand primers
couple thousand bullets

But this is also why many stock up on .22 LR. It may not be ideal for self-defense, or hunting, but it can do the trick. And, one can stock 10,000 rounds of it. That is feasible for most people over time. Many other calibers are way more expensive so it's harder.

5,000 rounds even if not shot for training or recreation could last a fair amount of time. Even possibly several decades.

Or, someone could have 1000 rounds of SD/Battle ammo for a larger caliber. Then a lot of .22 for hunting.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't understand the premise at all. But that is nothing new for me.🤷‍♂️

If I was worried about running out of ammo....I would just buy more of the kinds of ammo that I actually think I will need rather than getting some caliber and gun that I don't want to use....so it lasts longer???
It is a question of versatility and economy. I could just get more coponents for 30-06, but - at 50 Grains of Win760 I'm going to get 140 rounds per pound of powder. For 357, I can get between 700 - and 2,000 rounds per pound if I load .38 special for it. So, I have plenty of .22, 9mm and 30-30 and 30-06, and I have my little stock for those things and .357 factory ammo, but - my basement isn't full of stacks of ammo, I kind of minimize my expense and try to maximize the potential value.

So, if there is some major SHTF that comes along that runs for a decade or 2 - I want a plan for something that will keep going after all the 9mm, 30-30, 30-06, .223 is dried up, stolen or lost. I'm thinking of it as a plan for after the backup plan has been executed and if still alive, the .357 will be the last rifle still shooting. 9mm is not a good deer round, and the other options would take a lot of powder to be stored, and I guess I'd rather just not store any more than I would need to - or well, want to spend the money on, if one can ever actually find powder and primers again.

I also think I'm just justifying purchasing another rifle as a range toy...

·
Registered
9,837 Posts
Or, someone could have 1000 rounds of SD/Battle ammo for a larger caliber. Then a lot of .22 for hunting.
Indeed. Last year you could have bought 1000 rounds of .308 for less than the price of most .357 carbines and if just used for hunting big game, would last you a lifetime, and for the price of another gun, you could have ten thousand rounds of .22 for small game and be covered on both fronts for even a very long term SHTF.

This is why I don't really understand the premise of a .357 being somehow better for long term sustainability than just buying a case of a more suitable round.

·
Born 120 years too late.
5,053 Posts
BEFORE going into comment stage,
I think a better clarification is in order..
WHAT does the OP see for his 10 years down the road?
Is it Mad Max and Thunderdome
is it THE ROAD
Is it America along the lines of mid 1800s
IS it one continuous Bosnia or Somalia?

The conditions and how we got there will dictate whether or not there was time to sit at a bench and turn out loads after the initial supply ran down. It could be you ran out of your stock before you had time to sit at the press.

need details for accurate commentary.

·
Premium Member
2,995 Posts
By 10 years post shtf you will likely be able to buy ammo at academy or Walmart or whatever replaces them. My only concern would be gun control in the rebuilt society. But i think with such a recent reliance on gun ownership that may be a tough sell for a few decades.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
oh, and I have plenty of .22 ... and other cartrdiges and components - but - after the rifle rounds run out, are you planning on deer hunting or taking a black bear with a .22 round? Seems nobody ever mentions that when they say stock 100,000 .22 rounds. My thinking is a PCC capable of taking deer, fills a void there - where $$ might be better spent, and efficiently .357 seems to be about the best for this. Is anything else better for this? that can also be loaded for and shot from a pistol?

·
Registered
332 Posts
I have it figured out here. I believe two elk per year will feed my wife and I. So I need maybe 3 cartridges per year. For 10 years I would need one and one-half boxes but I would round up to two full boxes of ammo for safety sake. I have that on hand now so I should be good for the ten years.

·
Registered
644 Posts
oh, and I have plenty of .22 ... and other cartrdiges and components - but - after the rifle rounds run out, are you planning on deer hunting or taking a black bear with a .22 round? Seems nobody ever mentions that when they say stock 100,000 .22 rounds. My thinking is a PCC capable of taking deer, fills a void there - where $$ might be better spent, and efficiently .357 seems to be about the best for this. Is anything else better for this? that can also be loaded for and shot from a pistol?
I would lean more toward a 44, my own self. Consume more powder, though. What if it’s a horse, or a wild pig, or a feral cow you’re trying to collect? 357 could work, but a 44 would work more often.

1 - 20 of 170 Posts