Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What plate carrier is super heavy duty and is made to be worn without soft body armor? Is it a bad idea to only wear a front plate with no soft armor and stand alone plates? Seems like you would be much faster and less tired than with an interceptor style vest.

I am thinking about wearing a dump pouch on my left side of my web belt instead of on my vest. It seems like it will be quicker to throw stuff in it.

Do you wear your IFAK first aid on your strong or weak side?

I use tactical tailor multi use mag pouches that are slow to open but secure. Was thinking about running two speed pouches one on my pants belt and one on the tac vest. Seems like the pants belt reload would be quickest even in a full interceptor armor system.

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
What plate carrier is super heavy duty and is made to be worn without soft body armor? Is it a bad idea to only wear a front plate with no soft armor and stand alone plates? Seems like you would be much faster and less tired than with an interceptor style vest.

I am thinking about wearing a dump pouch on my left side of my web belt instead of on my vest. It seems like it will be quicker to throw stuff in it.

Do you wear your IFAK first aid on your strong or weak side?
Hang your dump pouch off your belt, it's easier to access from both sides.

I won't say that soft armor is required but the impact of the hard armor on your body is substantial. There's another thing to think about, spalling. That bullet may stop, but the plate may not.

Of the two choices, hard and soft armor, I'll stick with what I use for work, soft armor with a trauma plate if needed.

·
Banned
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was thinking one hard armor plate would be best for a SHTF situation since walking over long distances might occur. I think a single plate carrier would be really quick to put on for home defense with everything you need ready to go.

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
The soft armor is much easier to wear long term and under a pack/LBE.

And plated leave a great amount of skin unprotected that even a cheap soft vest covers.

And again, a hit on a hard plate will make you very very sore.
Soft armor at least absorbs the hit.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
I like the TAG dump pouch for the belt and I have a Blackhawk, too. Always on the support hand side, either right in front of OR right behind the hip. Both are good. Maxpedition Rolly Polly's are ok but they don't retain stuff in there very well. Everybody makes one now.

·
Son Of Liberty
1,871 Posts
I use the TAG rollup dump pouch after destroying a few others, the TAG is beyond destroying.

I have a Weesach as my 3rd line medium weight kit, works great its tuff and simple.

I keep my dump pouch right next to my primary magazine pouches to aid in the speedy reload. Its pretty much the same motion and takes slightly more time to retain the magazine. After a few primary mags there really is no point in retaining the magazines as im probably Knee deep in a bad situation and should focus on getting out.

My blowout kit is kept up front so I can reach it with minimal movement with either hand.

I have some of the TT mag pouches and strongly suggest you look at a open top bungee cord retained type pouch.

Velcro dose not work covered in mud and fastex buckles are a bit slow.

If your kit is like mine the belt reload would be hindered by the Sheree size of the carrier, but it may work for you.

I use a Eagle CIRAS as my heavy 3rd line

and a Black hawk Recon Commando chest rig as my light 3rd line.

·
Prov 3:18
2,236 Posts
Generally IFAK location is standardized to the left side of the armor as far back as you can reach it with both hands. Dump pouch makes a lot of sense to place it low and far back on the belt.There are several standalone plate carriers (Eagle plate carrier) but make sure to get stand alone plates to avoid spall issues.There are alot of people that prefer the standalone carriers and many use a front plate alone but one read through blackhawk down answered that for me(you really never know where the threat is even in a LE environment,did the guy you are set up on call his bud with a bolt gun to set up on you?).Soft armor is lighter and more comfortable and has more coverage in most cases,but is threat level deficient in some environments and can be hotter in warm climates.One option I favor is the use of a concealable full coverage vest with a plate carrier over,less coverage than the tac vests but better and more adaptable than the plate carrier alone.

·
Your move Sparky...
7,782 Posts
I must be a mall ninja or something, because there is more Greek in this post than I have seen in a long time. I guess I gots lots to learn about body armor...

·
Your move Sparky...
7,782 Posts
Yeah, my primary weapon had rounds that weighed in at 1 pound. We didn't worry about body armor that much. Unless it was a tank or something...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.