Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the other day I was talking to my brother who is a paramedic, and I always ask him all sorts of questions trying to gather more knowledge "just in case". After a slew of questions ranging from treating an allergic reaction to setting bones, he suggested I look up my local EMS protocols. Of course my first response was "what?". Apparently every, or most every, county lists their EMS protocols online. I don't know if its mandatory or depends on state or what, but sure enough when I looked up the one for his, it was posted (and thats the one I linked to).

There is some really good information here, and this is all current practice. I would strongly urge anyone who takes these sort of things serious to look up your own if you can find them. I have no doubt if they arent posted online a quick call to a local ambulance service would be able to direct you where to find them.

Again, this is just one county's protocol, and they will surely vary state by state and city by city. Still, maybe there is something helpful for you guys here. I know there is a lot of debate on how things are done and whats current and whats not... Well here it is.

http://www.co.merced.ca.us/documents/Public Health/Adult Protocols 2009.PDF

·
Prov 3:18
2,235 Posts
The problem with using protocols in this manner is that very often patients do not fit into a specific protocol perfectly.It's what's called cookbook medicine.Where a chef will master technique and use available in season foods,a cook will follow directions.You have some of what you need to take care of an otherwise uncomplicated condition.It takes a greater understanding to treat real people in real conditions and understand when to follow protocol and when to deviate(if you do this on a truck you better be able to explain yourself or have contacted control).
Another problem with straight ems protocols for survival purposes is the amount of equipment and the last line of most protocols is generaly"transport to appropriate facility".

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Absolutely correct. I wouldn't advocate memorizing a copy of these and going by that. Like anything else its refrence material. It lists, for multiple situations, what to do and look for under a basic life support situation and then advanced. Most of the advanced techniques are... well... advanced. The basic is pretty straightforward and is pretty much implimented with the mentallity of "if this isnt it, at least we didnt make it worse" such as oxygen and a c-collar.

Of course ANYTHING done to a person can cause harm given the right condition, but its risk vs reward. If a person is choking and you give abdominal thrusts, you could rupture internal organs, cause internal bleeding, or maybe they arent even choking but are having an allergic reaction. Its possible, but if I found myself in a life or death RIGHT NOW situation, I would rather act than not act.

Like I said, its refrence material. I think its handy to know what paramedics do, and hell, if you know your local protocols, if there is something in there that would be very bad for you (Oh I dont know, maybe your on some medication that interacts with epi for whatever reason) you at least know to maybe alert them to NOT do that. The possibilities are endless and there will never be an end-all to the medial realm. Everyone and every situation is different, I just like being armed with as much knowledge as I can amass, and I simply feel knowing local procedures is a decent enough starting point.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts