Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I know a this is probably not the right section to post this, but with a lot of your military backgrounds, maybe I can get the best answers here. I have a crye plate carrier dressed out, but I want to attach like a 72 hour assault pack to it with quick release clips. I know it's pretty common, but I can't find anywhere that offers that option or even a "conversion" to attach a pack to a molle plate carrier. Anybody have any experience with this?

·
Errrrr
5,680 Posts
Hey guys. I know a this is probably not the right section to post this, but with a lot of your military backgrounds, maybe I can get the best answers here. I have a crye plate carrier dressed out, but I want to attach like a 72 hour assault pack to it with quick release clips. I know it's pretty common, but I can't find anywhere that offers that option or even a "conversion" to attach a pack to a molle plate carrier. Anybody have any experience with this?
Sometimes you just have to make something up. 550, grim-locks, d-rings, duct tape, etc.

I wanted to add an ILBE lid to my camelback but had no places to clip in...so I acquired clips that are compatible with the ILBE lid and I used 550 cord to secure them to the molle webbing. I've been using the pack like this for a bit and it seems to work great.

It won't look super awesome to the tacticool kids but it will function.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im all about functionality. This is what I was trying to find. I know they make them. I just don't know what brands. Im not afraid to spend a lot on something that may end up saving my life. You can't put a price on that

Attachments

·
Some guy on the internet
3,311 Posts
yeah, i'm going to advise against this, i went this route at one point thinking it looked really cool and was "low profile" or HSLD, lol, truth of the matter is you can't get to anything you need without removing your entire plate carrier or fumbling with stupid little clips taking it off and on again, getting in and out of a vehicles sucks and it's just really not all that functional in general if you ever need to get anything out of the pack...it looks cool though... :shrug:

if you must have one, tac tailor makes one as does ares armor, those are the two i looked at and ended up going with the tac tailor, awesomely made product, it's just the concept that sucks imo.

·
Errrrr
5,680 Posts
yeah, i'm going to advise against this, i went this route at one point thinking it looked really cool and was "low profile" or HSLD, lol, truth of the matter is you can't get to anything you need without removing your entire plate carrier or fumbling with stupid little clips taking it off and on again, getting in and out of a vehicles sucks and it's just really not all that functional in general if you ever need to get anything out of the pack...it looks cool though... :shrug:

if you must have one, tac tailor makes one as does ares armor, those are the two i looked at and ended up going with the tac tailor, awesomely made product, it's just the concept that sucks imo.
If operating within a team it is probably okay, because you can let others go into your pack. However, you are probably still better off just wearing normally like a backpack or having easy access quick release clips.

·
Classical Musician
3,998 Posts
You can use your belt rig almost like the waist belt on a pack. You just use a short/squat pack and rest the kidney pad on the top of the belt mounted butt pack. You simply don't use the hip belt on the pack. You use the shoulder straps.

I find this to work with the ALICE pack for me. It's too short for me and the waist belt is useless.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Forget about attaching it. Earlier comment is spot on - that thing makes it near impossible to drive a vehicle or ride in it, keeping flat against a wall, turning around in a tight space.... I'm old school, and use an M-1956 H harness. Augmenting it is an "assault pack" that simply stays in place with shoulder straps. Goes on, come off, quickly.

I'd advise the use of a traditional pack you can ditch quickly. Hell, even a MOLLE II pack w/frame can be made to work, and it'll ditch quick without stripping you of your armor. Think modular, but not anchored together.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My thought is that I work offshore and more than likely if SHTF, I'd have to trek more than 250 miles from south Louisiana to Alabama. I'll need supplies. Im used to carrying a lot of gear and walking a lot, I just need to find out the best way to carry excessive gear if, God forbid, I have to make a long journey on foot. I mean basic B.O.B. stuff.

·
Some guy on the internet
3,311 Posts
My thought is that I work offshore and more than likely if SHTF, I'd have to trek more than 250 miles from south Louisiana to Alabama. I'll need supplies. Im used to carrying a lot of gear and walking a lot, I just need to find out the best way to carry excessive gear if, God forbid, I have to make a long journey on foot. I mean basic B.O.B. stuff.
Eberlstock makes some nice stuff that works well with plate carriers.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
I had thought about doing this at first but once I started wearing my plate carrier more and more I decided against it for the same reason as the others above have advised. Plate carriers are heavy when loaded up also the extra attached weight could cause extra pressure on your shoulder straps.

I have a plate carrier and belt rig that work well together. The belt gives you added real estate and can worn by itself to given you access to your pistol and magazines for times you want something but aren't ready for your pc. If I want to get mobile I am going to use a separate back pack I have. It can go on and off quick giving me easy access to it, also its there when I want and easily removed when I don't or need to get into a vehicle or ditch it.

Also if your backpack is separate and your coat is big enough you can conceal a chest rig or low profile plate carrier under your coat and carry your backpack. You might still have a gun in your hand but at least youll be a little more grey so to speak.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Agree with the others. Wtf would you attach it. I would have never done that even if I had the option.

Now that i'm out I can make my gear how I want it. I enjoy belt LBE and keeping a plate carrier free. Trying going prone with a bunch of mag pouches and other crap on your chest and stomach.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Ares armor has their Combat xii pack that does this very well. While I agree this concept doesn't work well with vehicles, if you are dismounted for a decent period of time it's a good system, and people are exaggerating getting stuff out of it, it's pretty simple. In my experiences a standard pack with plate carrier gets pretty tedious, plus my arms always go numb after a few hours. If you are interested hop on their website, they have a couple videos on this pack to show you how easy it is. These guys make great gear, I've gone to them for a couple things and their slings are the only ones I use now.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Just use snaplinks(aka carabiners). Attach them to the Molle webbing and the webbing on the shoulder straps, as well as a couple on the bottom.

I don't recommend attaching a pack of any kind to your fighting load. Not even a small one. You can't get it off under duress, you can't access what's in it easily, and you can't ditch it when you need to. It doesn't fit under a ruck frame either. The only time I did something like this is when I set up my kit for raids, and equipment on my back was there for other guys on the team to access. The missions themselves didn't last long, just to snatch up someone. Any other time, things were as slick as possible, with nothing on my back.

·
Registered
3,401 Posts
I have a large water bladder mounted to my plate carriers so no pack can be mounted unless it is removed.I keep my backpack next to my bed with my medical bags.This gear goes in the truck and would be mounted if ever needed.I highly doubt I will be needing to wear it. I use packs to just hold my gear.I have gun bags that can mount on my back to, but right now they are used to transport my weapons in my truck.I doubt I will need to wear my plate carrier or body armor, but I still like to have options.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just finished putting together a rig that is three part modular, built from surplus, off ebay. FLC molle 2 vest, made by SDS, and a molle 2 padded war belt by SDS. and I built a small pack from a recon butt pack, molle 2 pack straps, and a frame made from 1/2 inch pvc. no armor. but I can wear all together or individually.
The vest is set up totally for rifle, mags, ammo' med kit. the belt is a stand alone, minimalist kit, with water, knife, pistol, energy food, survival kit, etc. The pack looks like a mini alice pack, and is the day pack with all the minimal living gear for trekking, quick ditch buckles, etc. and all in beautiful coyote.
go modular, but separate.

·
Curmudgeon in training
588 Posts
I agree that a pack mounted to my LBE is a pain to function around. When I was active duty over forty years ago we had simple canvas pouches, belts and suspenders and armor was never a priority. The ruck was separate and had quick release buckles if you needed to dump on contact. That system still works for me. My armor is police surplus soft panels with a light carrier. On top I have several different rigs depending on the perceived threat. I worry more about home defense after a hurricane in my neck of the woods and simple kit such as a handgun with say a bandoleer for my shotgun. The Carbine has a pair of simple bandoleer style ammo pouches. If necessary (highly unlikely) I have a full kit of military surplus LBE both the Alice style and the recent molle II gear. Both the older ALICE pack and newer ACU pack system still are used with separate straps and quick release buckles. Planning to sell off all the newer ACU kit as it is a bit much for my aging knees. I am at a point where I will defend what I have and not worry so much about moving on.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.