Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is a life ambition of mine to eventually settle in the beautiful state of Montana. I loved the month I spent there.

While driving around the Cut Bank region it was normal to see service roads leading up to minuteman silos and, I'll confess to it, I was curious enough to drive up and walk around the fence line and gawk until I saw the Black SUV kicking up dust in the distance. :xeye:

I was always reminded of the line from the movie The Day After:

Bruce Gallatin: A nuclear attack? What are the chances of something like that happening way the hell out here in the middle of nowhere?

Joe Huxley: Nowhere? Ha-ha-ha! There's no "nowhere" anymore. You're sitting right next to the Whiteman Air Force Base right now. That's about 150 Minuteman Missile silos spread halfway down the State of Missouri. That's... an awful lot of bullseyes.​

From a survivalist standpoint, is Montana a no-go? Do you Montanan's plan for nuclear disaster more than most? How do you cope with living under a nuclear threat?

·
Molon Labe
280 Posts
It is a life ambition of mine to eventually settle in the beautiful state of Montana. I loved the month I spent there.

While driving around the Cut Bank region it was normal to see service roads leading up to minuteman silos and, I'll confess to it, I was curious enough to drive up and walk around the fence line and gawk until I saw the Black SUV kicking up dust in the distance. :xeye:

I was always reminded of the line from the movie The Day After:

Bruce Gallatin: A nuclear attack? What are the chances of something like that happening way the hell out here in the middle of nowhere?

Joe Huxley: Nowhere? Ha-ha-ha! There's no "nowhere" anymore. You're sitting right next to the Whiteman Air Force Base right now. That's about 150 Minuteman Missile silos spread halfway down the State of Missouri. That's... an awful lot of bullseyes.​

From a survivalist standpoint, is Montana a no-go? Do you Montanan's plan for nuclear disaster more than most? How do you cope with living under a nuclear threat?
There is a good thread in this same category that lists possible or highly likely targets for a strategic nuclear strike on the US, lots of good info.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is a good thread in this same category that lists possible or highly likely targets for a strategic nuclear strike on the US, lots of good info.
I am curious to hear from what those in Montana do to prepare and think about living amongst silos.

I will be searching for that. When I was a kid in high school my teacher showed me a map where our tiny home town was targeted due to the presence of a steel mill. I'd like to see a newer one.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm not so sure I'd worry about it all that much. I grew up in ND on the southern edge of the Grand Forks missile field (hell, my high school was about 4-5 miles away from a MAF) back in the 70's and 80's. Sure, you always had that in the back of your mind but the odds of a full blown nuclear exchange never did materialize. Times and things change. Today I would be more concerned about a terrorist dirty bomb in a major city than a nuke being dropped on a missile silo or MAF.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
I was stationed at Malmstrom AFB, Great Falls Mt, from '81-'84 and was one of the Air Force security personnel that worked in the missle field there. All the silos are east of the continental divide and spread out over hundreds of miles. I live west of the divide and since the prevailing winds travel west to east with the continental divide between us I don't worry about it too much. The nearest silo is quite a ways away from where I live. Also unless we go to war with Russia I don't think we have to worry much about someone launching a strike against us. Outside of Russia no one has the capability to launch that kind of attack.

·
Molon Labe
280 Posts
I'm not so sure I'd worry about it all that much. I grew up in ND on the southern edge of the Grand Forks missile field (hell, my high school was about 4-5 miles away from a MAF) back in the 70's and 80's. Sure, you always had that in the back of your mind but the odds of a full blown nuclear exchange never did materialize. Times and things change. Today I would be more concerned about a terrorist dirty bomb in a major city than a nuke being dropped on a missile silo or MAF.

I wouldn't even be concerned with terrorists or terrorism (just another scare tactic by the gov't), I'd be placing my money on an EMP strike over a nuclear exchange. That doesn't require more than a few warheads of which China, NK, Iran and other nations have.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts