Survivalist Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for any ideas or suggestions as how would you live with a $120 budget. That budget has to, but not limited to, cover the next areas:

1. Food (Take in consideration I'm a Ovo-lacto Vegetarian)
  2. Transportation ("Could" be a bike)
  3. Shelter (Can be a tent but would have to sustain full sun and rain daily)
  4. Hygiene (I'm concerned about showering w/o an actual shower)

The $120 budget would be after obtaining the Shelter, method of Transportation and some kind of Hygiene tools. Thus it would go into food and daily stuff, maybe fuel and the such. I'm actually not clear minded enough ATM to list what I would need for this to happen, that's why I'm asking!

·
Get off my lawn!
4,549 Posts
1. Shop at Aldi's if you have one near by.
2. Maybe a moped? Cheap on gas and won't cause you to sweat when going somewhere like a bike might.
3. Tough call here, not knowing more details. I do know a person who bought a used van and pulled out all the rear seats. He set it up like a small bedroom. Better shelter than a tent and if needed a form of transportation.
4. Cowboy shower (hang a bag/bucket on a tree limb with a flap to control water flow through holes) or even a 5 gallon bucket with a cup to "bathe/shower". Or stay near a place with public showers like a YMCA or truck stop?

Just some stuff off the top of my head. More details from you when your mind clears up would help with some answers. :)

Good luck! :)

·
Registered
6,674 Posts
Look into an agricultural job. I know a few vegitarians that work on organic farms in our valley and they live on site.

Your housing, food and shower would be taken care of.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
1. Shop at Aldi's if you have one near by.
2. Maybe a moped? Cheap on gas and won't cause you to sweat when going somewhere like a bike might.
3. Tough call here, not knowing more details. I do know a person who bought a used van and pulled out all the rear seats. He set it up like a small bedroom. Better shelter than a tent and if needed a form of transportation.
4. Cowboy shower (hang a bag/bucket on a tree limb with a flap to control water flow through holes) or even a 5 gallon bucket with a cup to "bathe/shower". Or stay near a place with public showers like a YMCA or truck stop?

Just some stuff off the top of my head. More details from you when your mind clears up would help with some answers. :)

Good luck! :)

You're right. Forgot to clear up some things. I live in Puerto Rico. never heard of Aldi's...9by the way 70% of the store names are in spanish, you get the point lol). So that would be hot weather with a minimum of 80F which is the best and coolest weather and the max at 105-109F. I was thinking on buying an Astro Van or Chevy Express and making it like a bedroom, but since the van can be 1k-1.5k, I don't know how much it would take to make it a room. It would literally take me a year to get around $3,000.

I would like some info on the cowboy shower. i saw a post earlier this week on a guy who made holes on a bucket but no info and crappy image.

Thanks for the help ;)

·
Back of beyond!
2,575 Posts
Looking for any ideas or suggestions as how would you live with a $120 budget. That budget has to, but not limited to, cover the next areas:

1. Food (Take in consideration I'm a Ovo-lacto Vegetarian)
  2. Transportation ("Could" be a bike)
  3. Shelter (Can be a tent but would have to sustain full sun and rain daily)
  4. Hygiene (I'm concerned about showering w/o an actual shower)

The $120 budget would be after obtaining the Shelter, method of Transportation and some kind of Hygiene tools. Thus it would go into food and daily stuff, maybe fuel and the such. I'm actually not clear minded enough ATM to list what I would need for this to happen, that's why I'm asking!
PV, Food; get some chickens. They lay lots of eggs in your climate, and you can always eat the meat as well if things get bad.
Transportation; a bike is good, and so is a small motorcycle.
Shelter; get a Kodiak canvas tent. Even in your climate they last a long, long time. They are expensive to buy, but they will outlast a nylon tent by YEARS.
Hygiene, get a solar shower They're cheap and very efficient.
I hope that my suggestions have helped a little, my friend!

·
"Normal" is an illusion
370 Posts
ok
$ 120 /mth = $ 30/week = $ 4 ish a day
Staying on budget would be the number one priority! You don't want to run out of money on the second week with two more weeks to go.
With money this tight, healthy food would be important so you don't get tired and sick.
Let me see.....
http://forums.about.com/n/pfx/forum.aspx?webtag=ab-frugalliving
This forum has great ideas and a friendly atmosphere
Remember you're not broke, only FRUGAL (saves face):rolleyes:
Healthy food, easy to prepare:
Boullion cubes and brown rice or quinoa
Produce markdowns to add in.
Now would be a great time to learn your wild edible plants!;)
You are vegan, so this part will be easy for you :thumb:
Public transportation is great, but may take up too much of your $
Tents are great if you have somewhere secluded and SAFE.
Sailor showers are possible almost anywhere with minimal hot water and a wash cloth.
Good luck, my heart goes out to you!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Look into an agricultural job. I know a few vegitarians that work on organic farms in our valley and they live on site.

Your housing, food and shower would be taken care of.
Problem is agriculture in Puerto Rico died various decades ago. I remember my grandma telling me how difficult it was for her to live off of it, and she is 83 years old as today. Only organic farms, or may I say gardens by the size they range from, are very selective and private owned. I have an organic garden on my mom's house and recently started one on my granma's and aunt's; goal is to get them an alternative to all the junk food and the possible need for their own products since PR is about to crash. Since I'm not going to be home, it will be hard to live off my garden.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
PV, Food; get some chickens. They lay lots of eggs in your climate, and you can always eat the meat as well if things get bad.
Transportation; a bike is good, and so is a small motorcycle.
Shelter; get a Kodiak canvas tent. Even in your climate they last a long, long time. They are expensive to buy, but they will outlast a nylon tent by YEARS.
Hygiene, get a solar shower They're cheap and very efficient.
I hope that my suggestions have helped a little, my friend!
My current neighbor has a massive chicken coop with around 150 chickens and he always gifts chicks to the kids on the street, he has offered to give me any amount of laying chickens whenever I need them. my struggle is a chicken, or maybe 2, would be an additional cost. Maybe some 7-10 dollars a week. But is a great idea. I currently have 3 bikes. One is in good condition only in need of a pedal, second one is rusty and third one is almost a circus kind measuring 6 feet high which people have offered $200 for it; could always sell 2nd and 3rd one... As for the tents I'm seeing they range from %500 dollars; I cant afford it. Solar shower? will look into that. Thanks!

ok
$ 120 /mth = $ 30/week = $ 4 ish a day
Staying on budget would be the number one priority! You don't want to run out of money on the second week with two more weeks to go.
With money this tight, healthy food would be important so you don't get tired and sick.
Let me see.....
http://forums.about.com/n/pfx/forum.aspx?webtag=ab-frugalliving
This forum has great ideas and a friendly atmosphere
Remember you're not broke, only FRUGAL (saves face)
You got that right. I get paid $30 on Thursdays (working with my neighbor for the time until I find another job). Maybe I'll be able to make that $120 into $250 in 2-3 months but for now I gotta stick to that. with 4 dollars a day I could only get food, which is my concern. I don't eat much but I do drink a lot and am very active so :/ Will look the forums, thanks!

Edit: just saw another few sentences on your post.

I'm vegan, with the need of milk and eggs since it has been very hard to exclude them from my diet since I first started my journey almost 5 years ago. Chicken bouillon is a no-no. I saw in the movie "Into the wild" that he lived off a large rice bag for a month, I'll have to look of the meat substitute since I currently eat a fried egg with melted cheese on top with my rice and beans and a glass of chocolate milk; EVERY day.

Safety is definitively a big factor. Last weekend's mark on 32 deaths has come to 47 on the week and half of them has been 3 miles from my location.

·
"Normal" is an illusion
370 Posts
PaloVivo:
I don't know what you must be going through right now, I can only imagine.
That said, you seem to have a good sense of what to eat already. But really some wild plants are very tasty. Do you have tubers growing around (i.e. malanga)?
Just a thought...How is the tourist industry doing? (usually lots of waste there that can be 'recycled')
Can you clarify your statement about PR about to fall?
In any event you have to eat today and everyday and eat well. (Idk about the drinking part, but I do know that PR has the BEST rum EVER :) )
That said, maybe scouting out a safe place to stash food in larger quantities whenever you should come across any....
Do you hunt or fish? Do you have any time to?
(btw I have a few hens that can almost feed themselves, I only throw out scraps from time to time, the biggest problem is predators - ha for them and you!)
Good Luck and keep us posted as to how you're doing!

·
Get off my lawn!
4,549 Posts
I was thinking on buying an Astro Van or Chevy Express and making it like a bedroom, but since the van can be 1k-1.5k, I don't know how much it would take to make it a room. It would literally take me a year to get around $3,000.

I would like some info on the cowboy shower. i saw a post earlier this week on a guy who made holes on a bucket but no info and crappy image.

Thanks for the help ;)
How soon do you have to have the initial items, like transportation and a shelter? Can you "borrow" a van from someone to live in? Or maybe get a delivery job, where you can get paid time and gas money to deliver packages, and then sleep in your "office"?

I used the term "cowboy" shower kind of generically. I have seen several different setups using 5 gallon bucket and holes - from simple to complex. I'm sorry I don't have a specific design in mind for you. Someone else suggested a "solar shower", and I think that is a good idea too.

I wish you all the best and hope your financial situation improves soon. :)

·
Pedophiles will die soon!
1,184 Posts
Could you ask your boss if he/she could include a couple of meals with your work? One meal a day could reduce a lot of cost.

·
Registered
26 Posts
JoGem, may you never experience hardship and ask for advice, you wouldn't survive it.
Not sure how I should interpret the tone of your reply but of course the internet part was a joke and I am partially serious about the homeless. I am not saying anyone should copy their ways or style but you can't deny this is a group of people who know how to survive (some for a long time) with little or no resources. They probably have more knowledge and experiences than just "search a dumpster for stuff". They may know about perfectly edible food being dumped by restaurants, bakeries or whatever. I have seen some videos on YT from a survivalist who did just that: talk to homeless people and see how they make stoves, deal with the cold and so on. (see link below) It is a bit the same as how people tried to survive in the great depression during the 30's, they had to be inventive to get the most out of what they had.

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheUrbanPrepper#p/u/16/SsTDqrXygIk

·
Get off my lawn!
4,549 Posts
Not sure how I should interpret the tone of your reply but of course the internet part was a joke and I am partially serious about the homeless. .
I admit I had to read your post twice, and then I could tell you were kidding and serious. I did do a double-take at first though. :D:

·
"Normal" is an illusion
370 Posts
Not sure how I should interpret the tone of your reply but of course the internet part was a joke and I am partially serious about the homeless. I am not saying anyone should copy their ways or style but you can't deny this is a group of people who know how to survive (some for a long time) with little or no resources. They probably have more knowledge and experiences than just "search a dumpster for stuff". They may know about perfectly edible food being dumped by restaurants, bakeries or whatever. I have seen some videos on YT from a survivalist who did just that: talk to homeless people and see how they make stoves, deal with the cold and so on. (see link below) It is a bit the same as how people tried to survive in the great depression during the 30's, they had to be inventive to get the most out of what they had.

JoGem, I did take what you said the wrong way. It sounded....kinda snotty actually. I'm glad that you clarified your position b/c I couldn't believe someone could be that cold.
:rain

·
Registered
26 Posts
I admit I had to read your post twice, and then I could tell you were kidding and serious. I did do a double-take at first though. :D:
English is not my first language so I'm sorry if my humor/sarcasm was not as obvious as it should have been.

I'm actually interested in the question of the OP. And have my own topic on this forum about developing a BOB / general survival satchel.

P.S., added a link to the homeless video I was talking about in my previous post.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
PaloVivo:
I don't know what you must be going through right now, I can only imagine.
That said, you seem to have a good sense of what to eat already. But really some wild plants are very tasty. Do you have tubers growing around (i.e. malanga)?
Just a thought...How is the tourist industry doing? (usually lots of waste there that can be 'recycled')
Can you clarify your statement about PR about to fall?
In any event you have to eat today and everyday and eat well. (Idk about the drinking part, but I do know that PR has the BEST rum EVER :) )
That said, maybe scouting out a safe place to stash food in larger quantities whenever you should come across any....
Do you hunt or fish? Do you have any time to?
(btw I have a few hens that can almost feed themselves, I only throw out scraps from time to time, the biggest problem is predators - ha for them and you!)
Good Luck and keep us posted as to how you're doing!
It's a long story but I know I'll be alright. I pick up some malanga, yuca and the such from my grandma's house every once in a while but I would need a permanent place to be able to plant some. I'd LOVE to eat some wild plants but honestly can't tell which or not. Not long ago my 'pana'(as you would call someone who you consider your family w.o giving attention to the blood that flows in your veins...almost like your brother, yeah that!) picked up a bike in great conditions and we are both going to work on bikes since last week (He transported me) and it feels great! I guess with so much free time I could be the next guy wandering around like the homeless for stuff in the trash so..I wouldn't like that since I'm usually the one that gives them money and food on the communal centers. And yeah, Palo Viejo(has some influence on my username ;P) is a great rum and foreigners tend to like it. I do NOT hunt nor fish. I'm against animal cruelty 110%. If I do get a hen it would be damn funny. I'd be traveling on my bicycle with the hen on me and I'm sure people will have the laugh of their lives; I'm not saying that would be bad, I love when I see a human smiling. By the way, honestly I love your way of expressing and showing care for others. Bless !

with only 120$ a month, cancel your internet subscription and get your info from homeless people on the street. They should be able to provide you with good info :)
I'm still living half a week with my mom and half with my aunts and grandma and both have internet connections. They don't charge me a penny. I understand your point but very very few homeless or how people call vulgarly and contemptuously "tecatos", are kind and docile. Must act as they were to get money on the streets but between them they are very territorial.

How soon do you have to have the initial items, like transportation and a shelter? Can you "borrow" a van from someone to live in? Or maybe get a delivery job, where you can get paid time and gas money to deliver packages, and then sleep in your "office"?

I used the term "cowboy" shower kind of generically. I have seen several different setups using 5 gallon bucket and holes - from simple to complex. I'm sorry I don't have a specific design in mind for you. Someone else suggested a "solar shower", and I think that is a good idea too.

I wish you all the best and hope your financial situation improves soon. :)
I need it by middle August. I'm afraid I don't have the bless of a loaned van. Delivery jobs would be working on Pizza Hut and I have to be 21 for such thing. I'm taking in consideration the solar shower.

To clear something up, I'm a minor with all the benefits of an adult. Except for Pizza Hut that won't accept my emancipation and agreement papers(Court established I'm mentally an adult and thus gave me the permit to consume cigarettes and alcohol, etc etc; I don't anyway). I completed my studies and after 12th grade I started on the Plastic Arts School but because I did NOT have the support form my mom I had to pay it all by myself and only lasted 2 months. Sadly one of the major points on my difficulties. I will attend the UPR (University of Puerto Rico) on next year's August if I make it trough and don't become a typical homeless haha. It will cover 3 classes and the other 2 classes that I need would be @ $150 each credit which I will start selling some stuff to save. Thanks!

Could you ask your boss if he/she could include a couple of meals with your work? One meal a day could reduce a lot of cost.
My boss is my neighbor, and my very good friend almost like family. His family is like my extended instant family so that helps. I always eat all I want when the restaurant is open which is Wednesday trough Saturday from 6pm to 2 am. That tackles the second meal of 4 days. I would need a week worth of breakfast and 3 days of dinner. Thanks!

I feel you. Great bit of info on the video! Thanks

PaloVivo:
Here's a website that you should poke around in. If nothing else, it will make you smile!

http://thereifixedit.failblog.org/

It's called 'There I Fixed It'
Currently wandering trough it ! Thank you

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
I would ask among all those you meet to look for old people who may need help around their place and have no family to help them. You may get permission to live with somebody or on their land in exchange for help with chores or helping care for the old person. or maybe look for somebody who wants help with a garden. Many old people do not have family (although I realize in Puerto Rico family is valued more highly than in many cultures). to help them and though they may be able to care for themselves and live independently they may still need help to do the work they used to do for themselves. This would leave you free to do your jobs but allow you to live someplace at least sort of permanently.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.