Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Banned
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do. Not the best set up, but it works. Currently I am camping at 24 hour box stores and Hospitals and truck stops. Rest areas are good for a couple hours. In Montana there are parking areas with bathrooms and 12 hour limits. I use the national forest and BLM when weather permits. The cops don't hassle me, but I don't draw attention or leave a mess. So any thoughts, advice, or experiences you wish to relate?

Personally, I'm done with areas of excessive snow fall and sub zero temps. Same goes for flood like rainy areas. I'm going to Idaho this Summer to find a place.

·
Christian
39,500 Posts
wasn’t there an article about a kid who lived in his van while attending an ivy league college? he had it all down to a science and put all the money he made towards his education the last I heard he was well on his way to being a doctor with little to no student loans to speak of. I would post it but I cant remember the exact circumstances.

·
Darting from the shadows
5,760 Posts
Did it for 6 months in my Isuzu Trooper when I was 19.
The truck was big enough with the rear seat removed that I was able to set up a single camping stretcher and have my gear in 3 boxes (1 food and cooking gear, 1 clothes and 1 extras) and a cooler.
Had some books, fishing rods, a .22lr, my dog, plenty of CDs for the stereo and maps.

Spent a lot of time hunting and fishing, camping by beaches and rivers right up into the mountains.

Did the occasional job of a few hours to get access through a farmers land to some remote location with his permission to park up there for a few days.

Attachments

·
tinfoil bandana
1,164 Posts
Did about a year in a 69 Chevy van, had a fold out bed/couch thing in the back and storage behind it. Washed up at fitness clubs (ask for a 'free tour').

Winter in Michigan sucked, but an electric blanket and a forgotten 110v outlet behind a Meijer's made it livable.

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
Yes, Saint I remember that story as well.

I cant imagine trying to live out of a car. For people contemplating this, why dont you try to get a small camper? If you stayed in the southern states in the winter it could work.

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
Also, in Michigan I read last month about getting camping for free if you can donate 30 hours a week to hosting at Michigan campgrounds. I think they are state. There is no pay, but the site is free if you have a month available.

·
Preparing since 1972
5,612 Posts
OP i have been following your story in your other threads...I don't know how you do it in the brutal Montana winters..I hope you can settle down with your own place someday..Continue to keep us posted.................There is a woman i know of about 34 years old living in a pop up trailer/tent in the Black Hills of S.D......She has been doing this for a couple years now and is very happy....

·
Registered
606 Posts
I lived in a fithwheel camper for 3 years before i met my life partner/wife.around the four-state area thear are plenty of conservatios areas that allow free camping and some even have water available for drinking.

·
Tuefel Hunden
1,572 Posts
I had a Vista Crusier, I lived in back in the early 70's and toured the country. Just glad to be home I guess. Went to all the lower 48 states in about a year or so lived in that car the whole time!

·
Prep to LIVE a good life!
332 Posts
I did it for a littel over 4 years. I got a membership at a local gym, and after work each day I went there to workout and take a shower. Not too bad. Sure saved a lot of money. The biggest issue I found was bathroom needs when not at the gym. I was also living in southern California at the time. So the weather was good for it.

·
Premium Member
13,589 Posts
did it many times in my 20's first time in a 77cutless,traded for a 58 ford pickup sometime later and ended up living out of the back of that in the san juaqin valley calf. for sometime i did cash and carry field work....homeless in a vehicle doesnt scare me at all,i had no bills but food,fuel,ciggaretts and booze. i could go anywere-do anything but most the time i was passed-out parked in a orchard somewere,the only responsability i had was to myself in many ways i think back and miss the freedom.....

·
Registered
66 Posts
i spent a year traveling around in a 1972 olds tornodo that had the body chopped and had a camp trailer thrown on the top got stopped by the cops in every one of the lower 48 no insurance company would insure it they all told me it was unsafe i had a friend with me we bought it together and figured out we could get around not having it registered or insured by printing a stack of bills of sales and posting a new one in the window every few days after that i bought a 1972 hurst

·
Tech Savvy Troglodyte
57 Posts
During my divorce a few years back (which lasted nearly two years because she loved draining me dry, and being a pharmacist she had free use of the hospital lawyer) I lived out of my 89 GMC 4x4 p/u with a fiberglass cap on the back. No heaters, only sleeping bags and layers of wool and sleeping in clothes when the weather hit 0 and below. Then I bought a HiLow camper for a couple of hundred bucks (which was all I had at the time) from my x-boss, and moved into that and was able to park it on some land in the middle of BFE. It was heaven and I was able to clear my head. To this day, I keep my GMC and HiLow camper ready for such an occasion except I have some LP on hand for the heater if it is REALLY cold. Been thinking of a small generator just to run the TV, Computer, Sat Dish and maybe small window AC I have instead of the setup power I pulled off of my old Ford diesel PU that I set up to power my stuff.

I think everyone should live minimally and below their comfort level for a while. It really gives an appreciation for the simple life. Some days this winter I wished I was living out in the camper again, feeling the wind permeate the walls/windows, and washing up with cold water and baby wipes.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts