Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my young son a Little Tykes Police Car and I am trying to add lights to it to make it look like the real police cruiser. It will have a blue/red mini light bar on top, functional headlights and tail lights, and strobes. Another guy did something like this before and I am trying to put my own spin on it

http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/sho...-Little-Tykes-Cozy-Cruiser-Custom-LED-install

I plan on posting pictures as I go, but had an initial question for any of you electronically gifted folks out there.

The light bar I have is powered by a 12v cigarette lighter (male end). There is a button on the cigarette lighter portion, and you press it to get the lights to do different modes of flashing (front/back, left/right, fast strobe etc). I plan on cutting this off and wiring it to a toggle switch, but wanted to know how to make the light change modes once I do that.

There is a PCB (circuit board) inside the LED enclosure, and I am thinking that is what controls the modes, but wanted to know what it takes to change modes (change in volts, simply on/off?). Thanks in advance for any advice.

·
Survivor
5,533 Posts
I'm with Charlie, I bet it is a momentary interrupt to cycle modes. You could add in an inline interrupt or a momentary on/off capable switch for ease. Use a volt meter though to confirm on the positive line.

·
Registered
240 Posts
You have to open the switch.

Most of the light bars that have that momentary switch to change the flash pattern have another wire in there that when you hit that momentary switch, it makes contact with another wire. (Usually negative) and that that changes the flash pattern.

I install these lights in emergency vehicles.

From what I've seen, it is usually Yellow wire.

Power it up, and then just tap that other wire and until it changes the pattern and then release it. Usually 10-15 patterns in there.

Good luck. If you have any other questions let me know.

I also repair broken light bars that come into the shop.

The biggest issue with the light bars is that the modules go bad. We don't "fix" them, we just replace the modules that control the lights.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
You have to open the switch.

Most of the light bars that have that momentary switch to change the flash pattern have another wire in there that when you hit that momentary switch, it makes contact with another wire. (Usually negative) and that that changes the flash pattern.

I install these lights in emergency vehicles.

From what I've seen, it is usually Yellow wire.

Power it up, and then just tap that other wire and until it changes the pattern and then release it. Usually 10-15 patterns in there.

Good luck. If you have any other questions let me know.

I also repair broken light bars that come into the shop.

The biggest issue with the light bars is that the modules go bad. We don't "fix" them, we just replace the modules that control the lights.
You nailed it. I have pics attached just to confirm, but I believe you are correct. Ok, now that we have named the beast, whats the easiest way to put that in. I already cut in two rocker switches on the left side.

Pictures of the progress are coming soon!!! Thanks for all the help!

Attachments

·
Registered
240 Posts
Glad that it worked out for you. It's kind of crazy how there isn't much inside as far as the control modules.

LED technology has really come a long way and are so efficient with power draw.

·
Preparing since 1972
5,612 Posts
I got my young son a Little Tykes Police Car and I am trying to add lights to it to make it look like the real police cruiser. It will have a blue/red mini light bar on top, functional headlights and tail lights, and strobes. Another guy did something like this before and I am trying to put my own spin on it

http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/sho...-Little-Tykes-Cozy-Cruiser-Custom-LED-install

I plan on posting pictures as I go, but had an initial question for any of you electronically gifted folks out there.

The light bar I have is powered by a 12v cigarette lighter (male end). There is a button on the cigarette lighter portion, and you press it to get the lights to do different modes of flashing (front/back, left/right, fast strobe etc). I plan on cutting this off and wiring it to a toggle switch, but wanted to know how to make the light change modes once I do that.

There is a PCB (circuit board) inside the LED enclosure, and I am thinking that is what controls the modes, but wanted to know what it takes to change modes (change in volts, simply on/off?). Thanks in advance for any advice.
Here is another site for leds for a future project...www.superbrightleds.com

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Progress and burnt carpet.

Got the momentary switch in the mail.

Ok, so I'm posting pics of the original toy for context. Later tonight, I hope to post what I have so far. I am encountering problems with some of the wiring coming loose, and I have already almost set the carpet on fire....so theres that.

The plan is to run two sets of lights. With two rocker switches (with a momentary switch on one of the rocker switches.

1. Headlights and tail lights.
2. Mini bar light on top, front strobes and back multi strobe (red and blue).

I plan on running wires all around the car (on the inside), and now I'm trying to figure out how to get from the front of the car to the back. Any ideas for fishing wire? Right now I'm using wooden skewers.

The inside is mostly hollow and pretty easy to drill and hide wires, unless you have a short somewhere. Little Tykes was nice enough to leave several name plates that are easily removed and allow an inside view and access port if needed. I hope to run this without any wires showing.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Pics of progress

This is what I have so far. Still need to run wires for majority of it, and start on the hinged door for the battery packs. Please excuse the mess, tis a work in progress :thumb:.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts