Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
BEEN HERE TO LONG
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
if you should run out of slugs try this (ring a shell) we call it in tn.take a shot shell and cut it almost into just behind the shot,when you shoot it the shell will stay togather a lot longer making it more deadly. at close range it like a glazer round.

·
Hunter/Farmer
1,955 Posts
I think I understand what you are saying.
Score the shell just above the base of the wad column, making it a little weaker than the front crimp and shooting the entire front end of the shell.
What choke? I'm guessing no more than Imp cyl,...with a full choke it might bell it out.:eek:

·
BEEN HERE TO LONG
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think I understand what you are saying.
Score the shell just above the base of the wad column, making it a little weaker than the front crimp and shooting the entire front end of the shell.
What choke? I'm guessing no more than Imp cyl,...with a full choke it might bell it out.:eek:
thanks i mean this i have trouble explaining myself. im just a old countryman lol :thumb: i think there is enough give in the shell it wont hurt the gun.

·
BEEN HERE TO LONG
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
did anybody try this yet

·
Registered
215 Posts
tricky trouble

This trick has been around since cardboard shells were invented, and it _can_ work, at very short ranges, BUT it is dangerous in that the "ringed" portion of the shell case may lodge in the barrel, especially near the choke. This leaves an obstruction that can cause a bbl to "kaboom" on the next shot.
Don't do this at all unless it is truly unavoidable, and the only if you can guarantee that only one shot will be fired before checking the bbl for obstruction.

As said, it works at short range but the charge tends to disentegrate after travelling 10-15 yards, so it does not give the 50+ yard range and accuracy of true slug loads.

GreyOne

·
Information is Ammunition
22,122 Posts
i dont see it as worth the risk. Ive heard all kinds of weird additions to shotshells, from pennies to flechettes to glitter... (long story)

I even heard one story about a kid that emptied a shell and left it open, loaded it, and launched a dowl rod out of it. I will never be bored enough to try that

·
Registered
7,224 Posts
to glitter... (long story)
We have time.

That dowel rod thing is illustrated in those ridiculous Black Books sold a while back as a method to launch improvised grenades.
A friend in EOD calls them Darwin books.

Reactions: Dwind

·
Registered
9,677 Posts
Sounds like something for Mythbusters...
Peter

Reactions: Dwind

·
25 Or 6 to 4
8,006 Posts
When we were kids we cut the shells above the wad and launched all sort of things from dowels to arrows, (we had bows so how intelligent was this?)to you name it. That all ended when we were shooting machine bolts. Rolled in newspaper they did some wild end over end stuff at about 30 yards Till one cocked at and angle and ruined the barrel by cutting grooves down it. We caught hell for that and were lucky not to have been killed in the process.

Thats all Darwin stuff. Don't try any of it.

Only use modern ammunition that the weapon is chambered for and purchased or obtained from a reliable source.

Repeat. Don't do it. You could easily be killed.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I've cut ringed loads and never had a problem with them. First, you cut all the way through the plastic of the hull on opposite sides of the hull, leaving two 1/8" strips of hull intact between them. When I've shot them, they stayed intact for 30 yards or more. you can hot glue the crimp or weld the crimp to keep them from coming apart. It's an old trick that works.
Remember, shotgun shells ave very low pressure(12,000 psi, IIRC), and the plastic hull is self lubricating.

But then again, some people fire double loads of Winchester Superlite and try to claim that their gun blew up because of gun oil in the barrel. Riiiiiiiight.

EOD techs are trained in explosives disposal, not firearms ballistics. The two are completely different and unrelated subjects.

·
Information is Ammunition
22,122 Posts
being based in California- Im surprised theyre even allowed to SAY the word gun, much less test myths for them. Even then, they're forced to go to some 'secret' facility (probably Gunsite) for some of their tests.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts