Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
- Nail clippers and Nail file...knives and scissors are fine but its so much easier with the right tools.

- Bagbalm or something similar... Imagine yourself doing some manual labor and working up a sweat... your thighs rub together and cause a rash in the nether regions... wouldnt it be nice to have a bit of relief from that... especially knowing how much pain it could cause if you had to make a hasty retreat with a said rash...

- Eyedrops... again, working outside and you get something caught in your eye, would be nice to be able to clear your eyes with something sanitary versus using up your water stores...

Take it a step farther and you could add in a set up protective glasses. A splinter in the eye from chopping wood is a bad thing...could be prevented. (Speaking from experience on this one)

- Gloves, eveyone talks about a good set of boots, but having some work gloves can do wonders for keeping your hands healthy.

Thoughts?... additions?

·
Registered
395 Posts
- Nail clippers and Nail file...knives and scissors are fine but its so much easier with the right tools.
Teeth work pretty well too. ^.^
- Bagbalm your thighs rub together
odd... I never have that problem...
(Chapstick for lips can also be used to treat abrasions, rashes, and burns*.
*Don't use it on a burn until it has cooled off thoroughly, or it could trap heat and make the burn worse.)

- Eyedrops... again, working outside and you get something caught in your eye, would be nice to be able to clear your eyes with something sanitary versus using up your water stores...
Hopefully, your water sources are sanitary.
Never had a problem with just using tears anyway.
Take it a step farther and you could add in a set up protective glasses. A splinter in the eye from chopping wood is a bad thing...could be prevented. (Speaking from experience on this one)
Now that is a good idea.
- Gloves, eveyone talks about a good set of boots, but having some work gloves can do wonders for keeping your hands healthy.
Also good. I carry a variety of gloves for different purposes.
Not only can they protect your hands, but they can make you better at some things, like climbing. I can scale rocks and cliffs much more easily with the right gloves on.

*edit*
Oh yeah... Bring some toilet paper. Big help.

·
Registered
608 Posts
~lots of extra bootlaces (good boots last a long time - bootlaces, not so much)

~extra buttons and/or self adhesive velcro strips (& don't forget other stuff to make repairs to your clothing)

~paper, pencils, pens, rulers, protractor, compass, glue etc. (you may want to draw a map or write your memoir)

~lots of extra guitar strings (or banjo, fiddle, bass, etc. - it would suck if I broke a b string and couldn't find anything to replace it with!)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Antibiotics that the doctor just prescribed to you without really knowing what was wrong and just assumed that you needed them when you didn't.

zipties

I have seriously been contemplating getting the whole laser treatment done so I can be without glasses or contacts...
I heard laser treatments can go horribly wrong, and almost always mess up your night vision.

·
Registered
4,889 Posts
In a worst case scenario where replentishing supplies would become almost impossible, there are many things that could be taken for granted at your BOL.

1) Straight Razors...if you are a "shaver," I'd learn to use a straight razor that can be stroped and resharpened, as disposables would eventually become a thing of the past.

2) Sewing Supplies and Cloth...for mending and making garments...you wouldn't be going shopping at the local store anymore, so people will need to repair their own clothing.

3) Binoculars...only occasionally do I see binoculars mentioned in equipment stored for a BOB, BOV, or BOL.

4) Writing Utensils...pens, pencils, loose paper, and or writing pads. Storing info on PC's would be over, so it would go back to putting everything down on paper.

5) "How To" or Educational Books...books that teach edible and medicinal plants, carpentry, shoe making and repair, farming, metal forging and blacksmithing, animal husbandry, leather tanning, firearm maintenance, how to make gun powder, and medical books, for disease identification and injury treatments.

6) Barometer/Thermometer...aside from nature's ways, and before the age of the television and meteorologist, people had combo barometer/thermometers to tell when the weather was going to change dramatically, and storms were coming, and telling the temperature.

·
Aint life grand
621 Posts
I have seriously been contemplating getting the whole laser treatment done so I can be without glasses or contacts...
I'm not sure how old you are, but if you are approaching 40 and you can afford it ($10k), get the Crystalens. http://www.crystalens.com/us/IsCrystalensRightForYou.aspx

I'm in my early 50's and had Lasik six years ago and love it. At a distance, I can see like a turkey. Up close, I need reading glasses. The Crystalens would solve that. But $10k was steep. I can buy a lot of reading glasses for that.

As for the OP, I say stock up on sweet treats. I have FD puddings, shake mixes, lots of chocolate for the wife, mints, etc. The little things in life can still be enjoyed.

·
Registered
12,556 Posts
How about some musical insterments especially those that do not need electricity?
Moral is especially important in catistrophic event ,like sitting around a camp fire, smartly chosen tunes can warm the heart .
Spices for cooking and spice seeds for gowing for the future.
Rechargable batteries, though not as good as alcaline ,are at least rechargable for a while .
If you have cows , a butter churn would be good to have .
Shoe lasts and stand for repairing and making shoes .
There are a lot of gagets and things, found in antique stores that are practicle for living with out electricity , even a toaster that sits on the stove or over the fire.
I have waffle makers for my wood stove, takes about 3 min. per. I know it seems like forever, but their good.
Time for breakfast any way , later.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Looking at my pets I remembered we should also not forget to stock up on flea treatments for them. The little ones you put on the skin on the back of the neck seem best and last a while.
Bought some last week and it cost me $160. OMG What a ripoff. Will look for some on the internet in future.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'm not sure how old you are, but if you are approaching 40 and you can afford it ($10k), get the Crystalens. http://www.crystalens.com/us/IsCrystalensRightForYou.aspx
I had Lasik around seven years ago and I love it, at least I do now.

I had complications. I wrinkled flap that required an emergency fix. I got infiltration of white blood cells (google lasik + sands of the sahara). I also had cronic dry eyes until I figured out that I was allergic to the eye lubrication drops. For over a year I had to put eye ointment in while I slept. I stopped everything and no more dry eyes. I can now see 20/20.

However, I would counter your recommendation for the Crystalens. I would advise you strongly research any surgery before seriously contemplating it.

My father worked for an eye surgeon and they would push Crystalens on patients who were getting cataract surgery. A year later, they sent out a follow up survey to the patients. They results weren't great. Most of the patients regretted getting them.

[/QUOTE]

1 - 20 of 137 Posts