Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Living the dream
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious. How many of the little green propane bottles do you keep around?

I'm a believer that you can never have enough, we try to keep 10 minimum but I think you could have 4 times that many and not have enough...especially considering that sometimes Wally World has them for $2.50 or less.

·
Premium Member
1,952 Posts
I only have 2 of those, but I have 8 of the 20lb cylinders and 2 adapters for powering the coleman stoves from a 20lb. I have 2 100lb cylinders, and lastly a 500gal tank behind the BOL for the stove/furnace/on demand hot water heater & the dryer.

Based on my calculations it should be enough to last me 2yrs if I use the woodstove for heat and baking, and limit showers to 10 minutes every other day.

I also keep 5 gal of coleman fuel and have a coleman 3 burner multifuel stove...just in case.

I tend to have backup plans that have backup plans :)

·
Registered
724 Posts
I have about 60 of them, we took one out about 2 years ago just to test it because it had been for a camping trip to Big Bend in 1984! It worked beautifully! Now I have faith in the shelflife and get a 4 pack everychance I get.
Agreed! :thumb: We have more than 60 and pick them up regularly. We calculate that one bottle will produce a hot meal once a day for at least a week. GP

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,678 Posts
I have about 10 I refill off a 20lb lp tank.

Reactions: Nimmer

·
Forum Administrator
16,787 Posts
I might have around 6 of the 1 pound bottles, and 2 of the 20 pound bottles.

·
My kingdom for a doughnut
493 Posts
Wow you guys.. and here I steer away from lanterns or stoves.. pretty much any device that uses those throw-away baby cylinders. I like white gas myself.

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
I only keep them around for plumbing soldering. I use the 20 lb's for the grill. Other than that I try and avoid having highly explosive compressed gases in/around my house.

·
Registered
9,207 Posts
You can buy a hose connector for about $15 and use large bottles. I can **** on a 20pound bottle 2 entire camping seasons. I store 5 20pound and 1 100pound bottles in my shed. Figure I can cook for a long time.

·
Registered
33,184 Posts
Those things are fantastic, they have multiple applications are a big part of my LP gas supply. I stock a few 100 in 4-5 different places. Garage, barn, basement, shed etc.

I do have several of the 22 lb tanks and (1) 125 gallon tank but I really like these small tanks.

1. Easy to store
2. You can divide up your supply in many locations (always good)
3.Throw away
4. Heating
5. Cooking
6. Tools

·
Looks like rain to me.
41,428 Posts
Half a dozen that can be refilled. Sportsman's had them yesterday for $2.99. Four 20 pound bottles and you can be mobile with a refilling station.

I'm more afraid of the white gas stoves (fumes, spilling etc) then the little bottles of gas I can seal with a cap and teflon paste.

You can use them to cook, space heater, light, solder a copper pipe and start a campfire in almost any weather condition.

Most of my cans I found at campground trash cans.

·
Registered
14,867 Posts
I only keep them around for plumbing soldering. I use the 20 lb's for the grill. Other than that I try and avoid having highly explosive compressed gases in/around my house.
I store all my potentially explosive preps in one corner of the garage (ammo, gasoline, propane, kerosene)

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
I store all my potentially explosive preps in one corner of the garage (ammo, gasoline, propane, kerosene)
Mostly it's just propane I have an issue with indoors. I've seen too many houses leveled by propane tanks stored inside. For the most part gas/kero/etc just burn, and don't typically explode (if properly stored). But propane does horrible things when it cooks off, and goes too quick for me to comfortably store inside.

I'd hate to be a firefighter fighting one in your home :)

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
You know that you can refill those 1lb bottles right? Just need an adapter, Cabellas carries them.

Just be carefull though....sometimes they won't seal on a refill.

In that case you screw them right on to a lantern or something, then discard it after using. Mark it as a leaker then you will know not to keep that one.

·
The "Truth" Is A Lie!
530 Posts
Ask yourself some questions....

Why exactly whould you stock up on propane this way? Why would using a 20lb tank be a problem? Do you plan to grab your stove and run like mad with it on a regular basis? Do you think it will be more portable? If so how will you carry 10-20 bottles?

Either way you'll have just 1-2 with you if you need to move quickly without a vehicle. If you have a vehice loading one tank vs several armfuls is much easier. Once I set my stove up I don't move it, same mostly for my lanterns. I doubt most people holed up in their BOL will be dismantling their equipment often.

It's a bit silly to be honest. If you plan to use it for lanterns or need some propane for your BOB then buy a couple of bottles and a refiller adapter. Buying in bulk saves your money for other preps, propane is no exception.

I found an adapter hose for $5 on clearance at HD, and the 20lb tanks are $19 for a refill and $45 for an extra tank at HD. At $3 for 1 lb it will cost $60 to buy the same amount in 1lb bottles, not to mention all the extra space 20 bottles will take up vs one tank and a 6ft hose.

Smarter, not harder! :)

·
Outdoorsman and Hunter
1,177 Posts
I have about 10 of the small ones around at any given time, but I should stock up and have a lot more plus I think like some of you I will add some of the higher capacity ones to my preps.

·
GrowingFromScratch.com
2,990 Posts
Somewhere around 16-20. Intend to get more, and some in the bigger tanks too. Pretty cheap to stock a lot of, and they provide a critical function. Potential as a good barter item too.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts