Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a 100 AMP lithium battery, the thing died .. I accidently connected the inverter wires backwards. My friend said that the inverter should have protection for that.

He has told me to not drain the battery below 80%, but I have not seen blogs that say that. They just say if you drain the battery too much it will shorten the life but it didn't sound that it would happen in a tremendously drastic way

·
2nd Amendment zealot
762 Posts
I got a 100 AMP lithium battery, the thing died .. I accidently connected the inverter wires backwards. My friend said that the inverter should have protection for that.

He has told me to not drain the battery below 80%, but I have not seen blogs that say that. They just say if you drain the battery too much it will shorten the life but it didn't sound that it would happen in a tremendously drastic way
Well, I am confused.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
I "think" the 80% is for lead-acid(car type) batterys.not L-ion
80% capacity is for lithium. You leave 20% in the battery. Lead acid is 50%.

I'm also not sure what your question is but just the fact that you hooked the. battery up wrong and call a battery by a current (100amp) tells me you should do some more reading before you hurt your self. Lithium can explode and even a small cell phone battery can really injure someone.

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
Thanks,I'll have to look into that.
I have Ryobi cordless tools with lithium batterys,I use them till they die,then switch out.No way to tell when I;m down to 20% ..they just run till they don't.Older batteies seemed to slowly get weaker then die?

·
Registered
484 Posts

I'm also not sure what your question is but just the fact that you hooked the. battery up wrong and call a battery by a current (100amp) tells me you should do some more reading before you hurt your self. Lithium can explode and even a small cell phone battery can really injure someone.
They certainly can, and have, royally screwed up peoples days.

Edit to add:Lithium batteries were only part of the problem.

Wolf

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
I have Ryobi cordless tools with lithium batterys,I use them till they die,then switch out.No way to tell when I;m down to 20% ..they just run till they don't.Older batteies seemed to slowly get weaker then die?
Those have a BMS and wont allow you to really screw up the cells.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Did the inverter let out the Magic smoke , Some times the inverters have a replaceable fuse that can be changed out .
Your battery should be kept between 90% full and 20% full
so you can use 70%of your battery .

·
Registered
10 Posts
Made the same mistake with an AGM array (kids were acting up in the middle of wiring, bit of a distraction), it was quite the spark. Fortunately I had a 40 amp fuse inline, so it only blew the fuse. Before I built my rig, I did a lot of reading. One of the common themes was: make sure you have a fuse on every connection, just in case.

·
Si vis pacem, para bellum
7,725 Posts

Yours don't have the push button and four LEDs on the front to check the charge level? The batts do have a circuit in them that shuts them off when they get to minimum safe charge

BTW, Home Depot has the Ryobi days promotion going on. By a two pack of batteries, get a free tool.
Details: RYOBI ONE+ 18V Lithium-Ion 4.0 Ah Battery (2-Pack) and Charger Kit-PSK006 - The Home Depot

·
"TURGID FLUX"
6,444 Posts
Wasn't there a fire problem with some Ryobi batteries?

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

·
Si vis pacem, para bellum
7,725 Posts
Wasn't there a fire problem with some Ryobi batteries?

There was a recall in 2013 for a specific part number 4AH One + battery built in a plant in china with a history of defective products being recalled. The report was they would over heat in the charger. There were no confirmed fires caused.

·
"TURGID FLUX"
6,444 Posts
There was a recall in 2013 for a specific part number 4AH One + battery built in a plant in china with a history of defective products being recalled. The report was they would over heat in the charger. There were no confirmed fires caused.
I don't know. I thought it was recent. Someone around these parts had a barn burn down while charging one for a mower the first time.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
So when I charged the battery it showed 0.2 to 0.3 volts and went into desulfate mode for 10 hours. After that it said bad battery based on a code. I just checked the voltage again and it now says 0.3 to 0.4.

I did not mean to connect the battery backwards as I spaced out I guess and I immediately realized it and tried to disconnect the clamps in a bit of a panic bit it felt as if they where magnetized and didn't want to easily disconnect right away but within a second or so I did disconnect them, but it did not effect my potek inverter which still works fine

·
"TURGID FLUX"
6,444 Posts
What model battery is this ? Why are you using a lead acid battery charger on a lithium battery?

·
Learner/Tradesman
158 Posts
It's a Schumacher charger, I don't think it's a lead acid charger
Sounds to me like you are using a charger for lead-acid batteries on a lithium battery.. Please study up on lithium batteries and chargers before you hurt yourself or burn something down.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
It most likely is a lead acid charger. Gesus this is becoming more dangerous every post. You really need to do some research before you do anything else. Lithium has totally different charge parameters than any other battery type and you will need a special charger to charge this battery. It's not a drop in replacement for another battery type.

But the good news is judging by the voltage your posting it may have a BMS and is faulted out or blew a fuse.

Please do some more research.

·
Learner/Tradesman
158 Posts
Is it one of these types? Amazon.com: Ampere Time LiFePO4 Battery 12.8V 100Ah Lithium Iron Phosphate Battery Deep Cycle Rechargeable Battery Built-in 100A BMS,Up to 4000 Cycles for RV, Solar Marine and Off-grid Applications: Automotive

If so, then I guess you can use a normal charger on them because there is a battery management circuit included on the battery which will protect from overcharge, undercharge and short circuits. Don't know if the BMS is sacrificial or not.

That's not very good advice that Amazon rep gave you to lie about what happened, IMHO.

Hope you get it worked out. Always a learning experience.

PS: I just learned something by looking into this.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts