Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
I have plenty of 14500s and 18650s. Some of the 18650s have the built in micro-Usb port right on the battery.
I am able to charge them via a solar charge controller USB, or, with a 12v charger off of the 12v battery string.
I'll always have light.

I do, now, have a headlamp and LEP that uses the 21700s. Love the capacity! Buying spares is pricey, at roughly $20usd per battery.
They have the micro-Usb ports on the batteries, as well. But can also be charged in a Li-ion charger, as mentioned above.

I have and can charge NiMHs, (AA and AAA) , as well.

These are all my SHTF batteries. I keep alkalines around for normal usage, but, if things go sideways,
I know I can use and charge NiMHs and Li-ions as long as the battery itself will cycle.

I try to standardize as much as possible, but every device has a purpose....sometimes you want a small keychain light (AAA),
and sometimes you want to burn retinas on Mars (21700 LEP).

Reactions: ManVsLawn

·
Registered
485 Posts
If you get a Smart charger it can charge 3.7 Li-ions and 1.2v NiMHs.

NiMHs are plentiful, inexpensive. Most newer solar garden lights are NiMHs, Nicads going by the wayside.

SO a frugal person "could" use a standard solar garden light to charge their NiMHs,
and then use the battery in a small flashlight during grid-down or SHTF events.

If your aim is picking a standard, I'm sure you'll be able to do it justice, but you may find those devices that take AA, or 3 AA,
for instance, a small lantern, and that's where the rechargeable NiMHs come into play.

And to add even more to it, they now have to 1.5v Li-ion batteries, some use the Micro-usb but if using a charger, they need their own 1.5v specific charger.

Reactions: ManVsLawn
1 - 2 of 2 Posts