Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Awesome
18,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know a lot of people like to standardize around, and stock up on AA and AAA batteries, but what about larger lithium cell batteries like the 18650s, 21700s, 26650s, etc? I know 18650s used to be VERY popular for things like flashlights, but in many instances I see people moving towards 21750s as you get almost double the capacity for only a bit more length and width. Several tool manufacturers are sticking them in their power tool batteries now as well.

Do any of you standardize battery powered equipment like lights, radios, tools, power banks, or anything else around any of these battery types? If so, which ones, and why? And what are your thoughts on the growing popularity of 21700s?

·
Registered
485 Posts
I have plenty of 14500s and 18650s. Some of the 18650s have the built in micro-Usb port right on the battery.
I am able to charge them via a solar charge controller USB, or, with a 12v charger off of the 12v battery string.
I'll always have light.

I do, now, have a headlamp and LEP that uses the 21700s. Love the capacity! Buying spares is pricey, at roughly $20usd per battery.
They have the micro-Usb ports on the batteries, as well. But can also be charged in a Li-ion charger, as mentioned above.

I have and can charge NiMHs, (AA and AAA) , as well.

These are all my SHTF batteries. I keep alkalines around for normal usage, but, if things go sideways,
I know I can use and charge NiMHs and Li-ions as long as the battery itself will cycle.

I try to standardize as much as possible, but every device has a purpose....sometimes you want a small keychain light (AAA),
and sometimes you want to burn retinas on Mars (21700 LEP).

Reactions: ManVsLawn

·
Awesome
18,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A 21700 has about double the capacity of an 18650 though, and they're not double the price of an equivalent 18650. There may be better value there. You might just get more Ah per dollar with 21700s. If I decide to buy into 18650s or 21700s, I'd probably build everything around that type. There's not much need for AA/AAA for anything important and I think 3x AAA adapters fit 21700 devices.

·
Registered
485 Posts
If you get a Smart charger it can charge 3.7 Li-ions and 1.2v NiMHs.

NiMHs are plentiful, inexpensive. Most newer solar garden lights are NiMHs, Nicads going by the wayside.

SO a frugal person "could" use a standard solar garden light to charge their NiMHs,
and then use the battery in a small flashlight during grid-down or SHTF events.

If your aim is picking a standard, I'm sure you'll be able to do it justice, but you may find those devices that take AA, or 3 AA,
for instance, a small lantern, and that's where the rechargeable NiMHs come into play.

And to add even more to it, they now have to 1.5v Li-ion batteries, some use the Micro-usb but if using a charger, they need their own 1.5v specific charger.

Reactions: ManVsLawn

·
Awesome
18,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well many of the newer 18650 and 21700 devices, like flashlights actually have built in chargers with overcharge protection built in. You don't even need a charger. If you have an 18650 or 21700 device that doesn't have a charger, you can use lights to do charge them and swap out. Many of these lithium powered flashlights also function as portable power banks. You can charge a cell phone off your flashlight. I'm working on some details right now for building a portable soldering iron around these batteries. A simple PWM + power MOFSET should do the trick.

·
The Black Death
2,344 Posts
I've vaped since 09/15/2015 and all of my batteries have been 18650's recommended by Battery Mooch.

There is a guy, "Battery Mooch," that does reviews for ECF and YouTube on what batteries to buy. What is best and what is junk, there are differences.

Web Server

ECF

Facebook

Insta

YouTube

·
Awesome
18,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, the batteries need to breathe, but also, there are protection circuitry built into a lot of the devices that rely on them, that prevent them from going nuclear. That's another reason the newer lights, the ones that tend to be rechargeable also have those protections in them. And I'd imagine vapes have improved in that area as well. Considering using a vape body for my soldering iron project, I noticed some sold as "mechanical" which have no protections at all. Those would be a great concern to me.

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Only one has to fail. Why not check how many explosions go on in a year at a plant that makes lithium batteries. My aunt use to be corporate gm and while safety inspecting a plant they had a battery explode. It happens more often that what you think. Remember those hoverboard exploding?

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Never had any issue since 2015 and I use them all day, every day. Just DO NOT place them in your pockets, get a plastic carrier and carry them properly.
People drive all day every day and don’t get into an accident. Then one day when they are doing everything right a dipstick drops a cinder block off an overpass and kills them. Just know the consequences of when things go wrong.

·
Awesome
18,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
People drive all day every day and don’t get into an accident. Then one day when they are doing everything right a dipstick drops a cinder block off an overpass and kills them. Just know the consequences of when things go wrong.
And when you read that story about the overpass, do you avoid all cars afterwards?

·
Awesome
18,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think I'm going to start picking up some 21700 devices. I do want to build some portable power tools and 21700s would certainly yield better performance for those things. And a flashlight with a 21700, being only marginally bigger than one with an 18650, has about half the capacity making it better to be used as a power bank as well.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Alot of lithium battery packs or lithium rechargable products use 18650 cells you can pull out and use in things like Flash lights. I havent bought a 18650 cell in years as I just harvest them from old products. I have even got a few from the battery recycle box at local stores. I think I have close to 20 cells now and that's plenty for me.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts