Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

· Registered
3,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I spent the last three days attempting to find a distro that works out of the box with my pc, printer, & nvidia card so I could try out majicjack running from an xp or other virtual machine. It's confirmed that it does work.
I tried quite a few incl: pinguyos, kubuntu installed to usb, toorox, 3 versions of mint (gnome, kde, & xfce), all 3 versions of pclinuxOS (minime, kde, & full monty), vectorlinux, moonOS, puppy, slax extracted to a flash, salix fluxbox (salixOS), and peppermintII.

Puppy (lupu525) actually works quite well (flash drive is the defacto install) EXCEPT for the fact you have to use another flash drive in between your linux discs and your windows ntfs ones if you want to copy anything over. It plays video, handles flash, and saw my hp printer and video card as well after a simple update. The only issue I have with it is that it isn't truly a full fledged desktop per se. Aps are somewhat limited which means the full breadth of linux aps aren't an option. Virtualbox was listed in the install portion (quickpet) but simply refused to.

Slax at ~200MB was awesome running from a flash, but it had no internet, no printer, and no sound either. I couldn't even find gparted. I'm almost sure if I was a linux geek I could have made all that work. It definitely is a much more robust & cleaner looking distro than puppy.

Kubuntu's dumba** directions on the ever so easy booting from a flash didn't, at all. I already have every program for managing flash drives I can find incl the one they suggested. As far as that goes, it's a tossup as to whether it will or whether it won't.

Pinguy would not boot period. Same with linuxmint xfce which was supposed to have a 20+% increase in speed darnit. Moon, salix, vector and the other 2 versions of mint booted live and ran fine but after installing to my hd, none would boot up which quite surprised me as running live they seemed perfect almost.

PclinuxOS FullMonty (~4GB) ran live and the first time I installed it, it ran perfect, updated perfect, and rebooted perfect. Just my luck, kde as well as the linux nvidia drivers were updated on almost that same day and the kde desktop started having issues. That is the one I could have easily lived with as it comes FULLY LOADED, incl. 6 virtual desktops organized by applications. All I had to do was tweak it and remove stuff I didn't want. The minime version, ~540MB, had a broken printer aplet and when I tried to fix it, synaptic broke. It had no updates either. It comes with almost nothing but will part a windows disc with ease as an install option and gives you a slick boot menu as well between itself and windows. Installed the std kde version and the aplet worked but it would not see the printer even after updating it. Sooo, I went back to the fullmonty and thought, what the hell, I'll see if I can remove a bunch of stuff and get it to work in a dual boot config. For whatever reason this time around I had a first boot issue and said to hell with it. I am just going to have to wait until I have an actual second box. BTW, fullmonty had 750MB of updates which is exactly why I would remove as much stuff as I can first (that I recognize) which is not much. If there ever was a distro that needs an installer option for the programs it comes with, this is it.

Moon was super nice as it was the only live disc that started with a startup sound-sweet, and it had THE cleanest desktop of them all. Vector was quite interesting as well. The installation process was customizable as to what you wanted to be installed and it touts itself at being an easy to work with OS, which it was while live. Too bad it didn't boot afterwards. It even gave me majicjack icons on the desktop while live as I forgot to unplug it.

Toorox is german or english only and has a flunky update process. A simple gui for the entire process is NOT an option. But it works otherwise perfect for my needs except for the fact I can't get it to update and remember that I updated it. It was reall weird as the sync kept reverting to the default date at every boot even after telling it to open the last session on reboot. I REALLY liked the "Oxygen" network/wifi widget. I could not find it in any other distro even by searching for new ones.

Puppy is the only one I could recommend to a complete newbie as it does all the basics and much more and runs off a flash so it's truly portable. If it crashes it will revert to the default live mode so make sure to use save to disk (or something lol). Really nice distro that, expect for the limitations.

I found an ap that can emulate a live disc within windows without rebooting or burning anything. It's called MobaLiveCD. It works but takes all my cpu and is too slow to be a viable option for testing.
I also found an ap for booting from your flash. It allows for multiple iso's to be copied to the flash and then it gives you a menu to choose beween them. It's called YUMI. It's only at version 0.0.2.4. but I got it working with puppy, saline, xubuntu etc, clonezilla, dban, and redobackup. I did not try suse or fedora and most of the other ones. Usb2 is really too slow for a real distro. I would love to see some of these running from a usb3 one with persistence however. Yumi refuses to see (boot) practically anything that wasn't listed and I had to rename some of my distros so that yumi would use them.

Initially I was interested in running a lean windows xp in a virtual machine from linux so that I could have linux and my majicjack too. MJ does now work that way, and I even saw a virtual asio windows driver for linux. Apparently the only issues are latency (echo) and the fact, I believe, that handsets won't work, only headsets. Some also say it sounds terrible. I was THIS close but to be honest a headset just won't work for me anyways.
Needless to say I have partitoned and reimaged my hd more times than I can count. I learned quite a bit on how to do it and I still don't know it that well. I will not run linux again until I have a second box period. All this dual booting, typing passwords and waiting is for the birds! MJ needs it's own low watt appliance so I can go my own way. Preferably to linux where there are literally thousands of free softwares and when you say update, it can be everything on your pc, not just the OS and a couple aps.

I almost forgot, puppy and wine will run my windows browser, palemoon portable 5.0 and it works perfect but looks a little janky. Puppy also ran passwordsafe from my windows disc but it likes to complain about fonts before it opens it so make sure you don't use any weird ones. But they ran just the same as if I was in windows which is awesome.
Also the successor to Incognito (no longer maintained), TAILS, which was listed in YUMI did not boot from flash either-which is EXACTLY what it's designed to do. I already had incognito on my drive but was not aware of tails. I may try it by itself another way just for kicks but to be honest, I already have torbrowser for windows but the tor and polipo exes do not work under wine correctly within torbrowser.

· Registered
3,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Funny thing is (yeah-4 days later it's reeaaal funny-lol) I've been running a video card via a dvi cable for about 3 years now. Seems the general booting issue was just that. Problem is, after going back to vga and noticing how crappy it really is, I just can't do it. In windows I can play a 1080p 20.4GB mkv of avatar on my monitor and the cpu uses only about 15%. In linux with the truly horrific drivers available I can't even play quantum of solace at 720p from a 8.74GB mkv.

I did get virtual box running and it did see the majicjack but it basically crashed the first time it loaded (the vhd not mj). The vhd I made using disk2vhd using my running windows OS. Plus Xubuntu is lame. It allows me to login automatically but forces me to type my user password for practically everything. I will not install any version of ubuntu ever again. SalineOS makes xubuntu look like a senile person on drugs but I had video resolution 'issues' with saline. Small ones, but vga is just soooo yesterday, BTW, SalineOS boots as fast as puppy and even faster once installed. It's debian and quite nice really.
Anyway, just a heads up for those exploring linux. Hope you're happy with your vga connected monitor because you'll be using it until you figure out how to get the crappy drivers for your particular video card to work even half as good as the drivers for windows did.

When I learn how to simply install linux under digital video interface (or hdmi) I'll go back, but probably not till then. This was to date my biggest foray into linux and I learned quite a bit. For instance, some configurations of hardware and software will not see a password longer than 8 characters. In SalineOS I used 15 & 16 character ones for both root and user. Once installed and logged in I could not root. After reinstalling and using a shorter 8 character for root, I could. The user pass stayed at 15 (??). And the original password for root was one I am very familiar with so I know I did not type something twice that I shouldn't have-god only knows. When I reinstall linux it will be under an ati card using drivers that allow me both dvi and hdmi as well as seamless hidef playback without choking. You can bet on it.
A bootable acronis disk containing both true image and disk director ste is a must have and the reset button on the front of your case is your best friend.

Apparently after reading up on linux and video drivers everyone leans towards nvidia but ati's will work almost the same but with somewhat less background response from the OS itself in regards to little things we take for granted in windows. Either that or an intel mobo with embedded video was the other option that I may take. In the saline manual it says to never install (from a live boot disk) any video drivers and then physically install the OS to disk without rebooting first. Xubuntu forced me to reboot after I installed it, in order to activate the video drivers and it didn't even have the latest in the repo and I could not get the Nividia 275 run file to work either. With saline it was a snap so to speak right from the terminal in slim mode. Slim is like the whole screen being a dos prompt. It would be a hell of a lot easier if the pc were like a dlp and the stupid video card and bs was bulit in to the monitor.

· Registered
55 Posts
Shame it didn't work out (yet :) ) I'm using kubuntu for about 4 years now. Had also some issues with installing from a flash drive. Ended up with using a cd again. My laptop doesn't have hdmi but dvi works flawless. For video playback I use vlc. Had to enable some extra repositories for that.

· Registered
3,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
PCLinoxOS Full Monty was cool but bloated with software. Now there is the Phoenix xfce ed (just out) and it's only 620mb compared to FM's 4+gigs. The other two (not FM) had issues with synaptic, namely the printer aplet. SalineOS was the fastest by far of every distro I have tried including puppy and slax which has next to nothing. And linuxmint has a debian gnome ed I will have to try. I never got far with mint and I liked it but I think I may just install PClinuxOS first. It has a MyLiveCD component for taking snapshots and I know I can make it run from a flash, or simply reinstall it later without losing anything. Ubuntu I don't like. I tried xubuntu, slow and it kept forcing me to retype my autologin after already logged in. There was no option for root so I don't quite understand that. Plus the pay software canonical thing was kinda tasteless with a linux distro-me? money? If I can ever get a vm with the mj running I'll have to take a snapshot and post it. But having only 2gigs ddr2 and a 3.0E (plus an 8400GS and 3 sata3's under ich7), I'm not sure that I will keep it that way.
If I only had a laptop or netbook I could give it the mj darnit.
I read up on partitioning and have found after doing it ten times over that if there is an easy install option, with few formatting requirements, I tend to go for that. Like, Overwrite whole disk? f it why not. It really is the simplest as all I have to do is delete all the parts & then reimage it back using the same Acronis boot disk.
My video card is a pcie 1.0, or at least my slot is supposed to be and that's what I bought for it. I hope the latest nvidia run file and xorg under dvi will play nice. Seriously what linux needs is fingerprint reader software built in so I can stop typing weird combos of the keys every other minute. I think there is some beta out but I don't have one anyways. oh well. I'll have to wait till there like $20-lol. Root needs a finger print reader and under xubuntu, user does.

· Registered
2 Posts
I wonder what happened to your Xubuntu? I'm running it on two machines and its working without any problems. Only need to type in my password when I'm installing new software or updating the system. Which version did you use? 10.04 never caused me any trouble.

nvidia, meh. Never got around with those. Did you try the proprietary driver or only use nouveau? Might run better with the proprietary one.

The printer again might be an issue. Got a list of printers which are said to work with (X/K)Ubuntu, but unfortunately it is in German. Yet, linux-drivers.org does offer some links which might help you.
Oh, and I just found this website which might be helpful.

· Registered
3,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Great news. OpenSuse11 stable worked installed to my hd WITH first reboot under my dvi cable. I have no idea why all the other iso's I tried would refuse to give me my screen on first boot. And frankly my dear I don't gad. I'm just happy to have found one that worked, and I might add, opensuse11 is truly outstanding.
I'm a little confused on installing the latest nvidia run file. With salineOS I had to use xfsgi to first remove noveau and reboot in order to install the nvidia drivers. They did have a gui option but suggested the xfsgi (?) one. No matter, suse is darn near perfect from a newbies standpoint though not as responsive as I would like. I will eventually give it a go under xfce if possible, once I actually know what I'm doing. I'm not sure kde is gonna work out since there seems to be consistent conflicts with video drivers and what not but I want my video to be able to perform as close as is possible as under windows. Do I have to learn to compile for that bs?
Anyways, mandriva? don't think so. I'm looking at it right now. Is the pay subscription power pack essential? I'm actually trying to keep it in the free category (cept for the multimedia codecs of course).
Ever tried saline? It's debian, super clean and super fast. That's actually my first choice right there though it had nowhere near the newbie friendliness that suse does. Suse is kinda like a win ult ed where everything is there when you want it, and saline was somewhat like a slimmed down version without all the bells and whistles, but 10 times faster. I guess for most of you this is not news. cool

· Registered
1,552 Posts
I run mint 10 now 11 and yes you have to learn a number of new ways to run it its not like windows. but then again its free.
But many Ubuntu tricks work on Mint.

99% of the time you can find the answer to a problem from one of the many Linux forums out there.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r20977358-Successfully-setup-Ubuntu-Linux-VMWare-XP-MagicJack
http://www.magicjacksupport.com/

For me to upgrade from XP to win7 would cost over $400 for a new motherboard and ram.
Yet i can run linux on old computers that will not even run XP.

· Improvise Adapt Overcome!
Kifaru Late Season packed with my favorite goodies.
12,085 Posts
I too have had endless problems running Linux. Ubuntu WILL NOT INSTALL..*PERIOD**!!

Fedora will insotall, but it's boot manager (grub) takes over, and I can't boot windows anymore (I have XP and Win7). When I try, it flashes the option to boot windows really quick, then defaults to Fedora. I tried an independent boot manger when I realised I could not figure out how to slow grub down enough to give me an OS choice...then I could not boot Fedora...

Open Susie, loads and boots fine, *IF* it's the only OS. Whenever I try to load it with XP and Win7 already installed, I get a "Not enough space on drive" error. I have a 500 gig drive. 27 Gigs for win XP, 64 gigs for Win7, and the rest of it for Linux....and it says not enough room....

I was really hoping Open Susie was my Linux salvation because it gives an option to put grub on the install partition, instead of the main MBR partition.

Puppy Linux seems to install and run anything...except it will not, under ANY circumstances connect to the internet.....

It can see the connection, and even "says" it's connected...but it's not....

Someone suggested Crunchbag. Like others, it loads if it's the only OS. If I try to put it on the third partition, it will not install. It just locks up during the install....

Like the MAC OS, Linux is touted as the greatest thing ever. It's supposed to blow Windows away.

Boots on the ground however, can't get it to run for ****. You need to go through a huge learning curve, and be a total Linux geek to make it work.

NOTHING beats windows. Prove me wrong...you can't. = )

· Registered
7 Posts
"NOTHING beats windows. Prove me wrong...you can't. = )"
ROFL.
Well, I've used ubuntu 10.04 for quite awhile on my asus laptop. (Kseries, sexy.) Order the CD, its a lot easier (free, too) and a better option in my opinion than loading an ISO onto a thumb.

"Boots on the ground however, can't get it to run for ****. You need to go through a huge learning curve, and be a total Linux geek to make it work."

Have you ever looked at the absolutely rediculous **** windows goes through? Ever tried to track how many 0days windows goes through? Its hilarious. I can pull up my windows xp black on virtual box and prove to you how easy it is to run a virus to be used for "DDoS" off an IRC network, keylog you, download/upload. Which includes uploading MORE viruses to the target PC to give you a stronger grasp of control, and to the point where all you can do is cry and reformat your entire harddrive, losing anything and everything you have saved.
Linux? There aren't viruses. Sure, you can trick some douchebag into running a fork or tricking him into executing something, but removing it just involves logging out of your local account and into the root, and tracing/removing whatever the file did. Which can be read from the actual file it self usually. My advice to anyone who actually wants to stop paying for an OS thats just going to update every month for the new 0days and spit out more 'versions' that'll cost you up to 100-200. Linux is, and always has been free with the exception of very few distros. Anyone who would like help with linux, my limited knowledge is at your services, email me at [email protected] and I'll be happy to help you however I can. One tip for now, stop using KDE, its such a resource hog. use FluxBox for something SIMPLE and lightweight, and you can even customize the menus in gedit. GNOME for anyone wanting a windows-like feel. Ubuntu 10.04 and gnome is what I'm using now, but I switch to flux when I get bored of gnome. But I will laugh so hard at anyone who claims windows can't be beat. keep sucking some anti virus company **** to try and keep your computer safe.

I'm gonna paste my inxi output, just to prove I'm not talking out my ass and do actually use Linux.

System: Host expl0it3d.co.cc Kernel 2.6.32-32-generic i686 (32 bit) Distro Ubuntu 10.04 lucid
CPU: Dual core Pentium T4400 (-MCP-) cache 1024 KB flags (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 ssse3)
Clock Speeds: (1) 1200.00 MHz (2) 1200.00 MHz
Graphics: Card Intel Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller X.Org 1.7.6 Res: [email protected]
GLX Renderer Mesa DRI Mobile Intel GM45 Express Chipset GEM 20091221 2009Q4 x86/MMX/SSE2 GLX Version 2.1 Mesa 7.7.1
Audio: Card Intel 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller driver HDA Intel
Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Version 1.0.21
Network: Card-1 Atheros AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) driver ath9k
Card-2 Atheros Atheros AR8121/AR8113/AR8114 PCI-E Ethernet Controller driver ATL1E
Disks: HDD Total Size: 320.1GB (29.3% used) 1: /dev/sda ST9320325AS 320.1GB
Partition: ID:/ size: 285G used: 88G (33%) fs: ext4 ID:swap-1 size: 9.19GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap
Sensors: System Temperatures: cpu: 51.0C mobo: N/A
Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info: Processes 215 Uptime 1 day Memory 731.4/2990.2MB Client Shell inxi 1.4.22

· Improvise Adapt Overcome!
Kifaru Late Season packed with my favorite goodies.
12,085 Posts
"NOTHING beats windows. Prove me wrong...you can't. = )"
ROFL.
Well, I've used ubuntu 10.04 for quite awhile on my asus laptop. (Kseries, sexy.) Order the CD, its a lot easier (free, too) and a better option in my opinion than loading an ISO onto a thumb.

"Boots on the ground however, can't get it to run for ****. You need to go through a huge learning curve, and be a total Linux geek to make it work."

Have you ever looked at the absolutely rediculous **** windows goes through? Ever tried to track how many 0days windows goes through? Its hilarious. I can pull up my windows xp black on virtual box and prove to you how easy it is to run a virus to be used for "DDoS" off an IRC network, keylog you, download/upload. Which includes uploading MORE viruses to the target PC to give you a stronger grasp of control, and to the point where all you can do is cry and reformat your entire harddrive, losing anything and everything you have saved.
Linux? There aren't viruses. Sure, you can trick some douchebag into running a fork or tricking him into executing something, but removing it just involves logging out of your local account and into the root, and tracing/removing whatever the file did. Which can be read from the actual file it self usually. My advice to anyone who actually wants to stop paying for an OS thats just going to update every month for the new 0days and spit out more 'versions' that'll cost you up to 100-200. Linux is, and always has been free with the exception of very few distros. Anyone who would like help with linux, my limited knowledge is at your services, email me at [email protected] and I'll be happy to help you however I can. One tip for now, stop using KDE, its such a resource hog. use FluxBox for something SIMPLE and lightweight, and you can even customize the menus in gedit. GNOME for anyone wanting a windows-like feel. Ubuntu 10.04 and gnome is what I'm using now, but I switch to flux when I get bored of gnome. But I will laugh so hard at anyone who claims windows can't be beat. keep sucking some anti virus company **** to try and keep your computer safe.

I'm gonna paste my inxi output, just to prove I'm not talking out my ass and do actually use Linux.

System: Host expl0it3d.co.cc Kernel 2.6.32-32-generic i686 (32 bit) Distro Ubuntu 10.04 lucid
CPU: Dual core Pentium T4400 (-MCP-) cache 1024 KB flags (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 ssse3)
Clock Speeds: (1) 1200.00 MHz (2) 1200.00 MHz
Graphics: Card Intel Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller X.Org 1.7.6 Res: [email protected]
GLX Renderer Mesa DRI Mobile Intel GM45 Express Chipset GEM 20091221 2009Q4 x86/MMX/SSE2 GLX Version 2.1 Mesa 7.7.1
Audio: Card Intel 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller driver HDA Intel
Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Version 1.0.21
Network: Card-1 Atheros AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) driver ath9k
Card-2 Atheros Atheros AR8121/AR8113/AR8114 PCI-E Ethernet Controller driver ATL1E
Disks: HDD Total Size: 320.1GB (29.3% used) 1: /dev/sda ST9320325AS 320.1GB
Partition: ID:/ size: 285G used: 88G (33%) fs: ext4 ID:swap-1 size: 9.19GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap
Sensors: System Temperatures: cpu: 51.0C mobo: N/A
Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info: Processes 215 Uptime 1 day Memory 731.4/2990.2MB Client Shell inxi 1.4.22
That is all nice and everything, but I have business requirements, and Linux is not capable of running my software. How can Linux be superior to windows, when it can't run 90% of the business software?

Just because it has open office, does not mean it can run industry specific programs like Power Link, E signal, ADP Pen Pro LPG-Ira Charts, any number of inventory contrll programs. That is just the start. There are hundreds of thousands of programs that Linux is just not capable of running because it is inferior. Windows on the other hand runs everything anyone really needs in business.

Face it, Linux is a VERY limited OS. It's fine for Servers, and running basic home use platforms, but as soon as you get into real business systems, it just can't run stuff.

Not only that, but you have to be a total Linux geek just to install it on anything but the primary drive. When you have to be able to run XP and Win 7 because Linux does not work for most of your stuff, it has to go on the 3rd partition...then things get really tricky to install. Even if you succeed, you will be using windows 95% of the time anyway.

My Windows on the other hand, just frik'n works...BOTH of them!

As for Viruses, a good security system solves just about all of that. (Linux is vulnerable to hacks to btw)

· Registered
7 Posts
I'm lazy so I'm not gonna throw out a bunch of links at you for the programs you listed.
http://www.google.com/search?source...tu&channel=cs&ie=UTF-8&q=Power+Link+for+linux

I will throw that out there, for "power link" theres all kinds or ****.
However, lets say it "can't run 90% of the business software"
As far as I was concerned, you said Windows beat linux out completely.
How many people use their home computer for business requirements, versus how many people use it for surfing the internet every day.

Moving on to something more in my home field, Security.
Linux is vuln to some 'hacks' as you put it, though I'd ask you not to use that word because it shows your lack of knowledge of the computer realm.
It has its share of vulns and exploits. But windows is open to far more. Twenty minutes of your time can almost completely secure your linux computer. Be it for your home use or a server. monitoring of TCP/UDP packets and blocking of them, things like firestarter or iptables. Taking the time to setup and secure the "root" user and not using things like "sudo" (which I find unsecure, because if the "hacker" knows your login, hes got access to your root) and keeping your user separate from the root. (Anyone who doesn't know what root is, its the admin user on linux)

Windows security however, you can secure it, but after paying for the operating system, you have to pay for a separate security program. Things like Norton or mcafee, or kaspersky or panda. Horrible, lol. At the age of 13 (And you don't have to believe this, I don't really care..) I had "sub 7" bypassing norton, mcafee and a ton of the other "security" programs. Doing things like packing or changing key hexs in the program itself, can easily get a virus past windows and its security programs. It happens all the time, thats why theirs so many updates. 12yo skiddies are running around as we speak tricking windows users into downloading unsecure programs and laughing at them while watching through their webcams, its hilarious. Simple, simple **** like Cybergate can be used to trick the user into connecting back to the "hacker". The first thing the "hacker" can do is get the passwords you have saved in FireFox or Chrome or Internet Explorer. (What a LAUGHABLE program) But, yeah. Have a good day!

Oh, you don't have to be a "linux geek" to duel boot, theirs books on it, google has thousands of pages on duel booting, and just the simple knowledge of knowing how to decrease the size of your harddrive and setting up a new partition can make it happen. gparted for linux can do that easily, and its a great GUI for your folks who get scared around Terminal windows ("command prompt" for you windows users)

· Registered
7 Posts
Windows rules the market, also like Mac, because its a huge company unlike linux which is separate distros and most are FREE. Which is far less income to the "owner" of each distro for marketing. Computer companys put it on computers they sell, stores sell copies of the OS, which is all money coming into the windows company. If linux had that? It'd probably be the main OS used by anyone and everyone. The one thing windows really cannot do is "game" and thats the one thing I'll give to windows.

· Registered
7,136 Posts
I'm lazy so I'm not gonna throw out a bunch of links at you for the programs you listed.
http://www.google.com/search?source...tu&channel=cs&ie=UTF-8&q=Power+Link+for+linux

I will throw that out there, for "power link" theres all kinds or ****.
However, lets say it "can't run 90% of the business software"
As far as I was concerned, you said Windows beat linux out completely.
How many people use their home computer for business requirements, versus how many people use it for surfing the internet every day.

Moving on to something more in my home field, Security.
Linux is vuln to some 'hacks' as you put it, though I'd ask you not to use that word because it shows your lack of knowledge of the computer realm.
It has its share of vulns and exploits. But windows is open to far more. Twenty minutes of your time can almost completely secure your linux computer. Be it for your home use or a server. monitoring of TCP/UDP packets and blocking of them, things like firestarter or iptables. Taking the time to setup and secure the "root" user and not using things like "sudo" (which I find unsecure, because if the "hacker" knows your login, hes got access to your root) and keeping your user separate from the root. (Anyone who doesn't know what root is, its the admin user on linux)

Windows security however, you can secure it, but after paying for the operating system, you have to pay for a separate security program. Things like Norton or mcafee, or kaspersky or panda. Horrible, lol. At the age of 13 (And you don't have to believe this, I don't really care..) I had "sub 7" bypassing norton, mcafee and a ton of the other "security" programs. Doing things like packing or changing key hexs in the program itself, can easily get a virus past windows and its security programs. It happens all the time, thats why theirs so many updates. 12yo skiddies are running around as we speak tricking windows users into downloading unsecure programs and laughing at them while watching through their webcams, its hilarious. Simple, simple **** like Cybergate can be used to trick the user into connecting back to the "hacker". The first thing the "hacker" can do is get the passwords you have saved in FireFox or Chrome or Internet Explorer. (What a LAUGHABLE program) But, yeah. Have a good day!

Oh, you don't have to be a "linux geek" to duel boot, theirs books on it, google has thousands of pages on duel booting, and just the simple knowledge of knowing how to decrease the size of your harddrive and setting up a new partition can make it happen. gparted for linux can do that easily, and its a great GUI for your folks who get scared around Terminal windows ("command prompt" for you windows users)
dont need to pay for security. free-av rocks and is free. only secure computer is the one not connected to the internet and has no power.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.