Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've got an old Cooey 840 12ga and today shooting skeet it was really kicking the crap out of my shoulder to the point I've got a real nice bruise. None of my friends wanted to shoot it either. It's just too light of a gun to dampen down the recoil any. Don't get me wrong, I'm not afraid of recoil, but this thing is just uncomfortable to shoot for any amount of time, where as I could go forever with my friends Mossburg 500 and Browning BPS. I like the gun, and it has sentimental value to me and for a couple shots hunting it's fine but the steady shooting for skeet is just too much.

I was looking at Limbsaver recoil pads on Amazon, is there a lot of difference between the classic slip on one and the Airtech slip on one? I want to make sure I get the one that's going to absorb the most recoil. Are there any better brands I should be looking at? Don't want to break the bank but I dont mind paying extra for a better quality one either.

·
People Are Not Good
2,996 Posts
I've used the $15 Limbsaver on a few guns but not the Airtech.

From personal experience the Limbsaver slip on works. I've used them on 12 ga, 45-70 with Buffalo Bore loads, and on a 22lr. All worked well.

The BEST place I've used them is on a 22 or bolt action. You can barely feel the gun go off. Plus they will turn those "kids" 22 rifles into adult guns for $15.

·
The Darkside Cometh
459 Posts
I can't speak to the Airtech version but the original is just awesome. I have one mounted on each of my shotguns...several pumps, a few side by sides and a single shot - all are either 12 or 16 gauge. They just plain work.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
I actually think I paid more, like $29.99 at Academy? But I've never considered it anything but a great investment! I don't know the difference between the Airtech and the normal? But I had a 30-06 that I could shoot about 6 times before I started anticipating the recoil. After slipping the Limbsaver on, I can shoot it all day. Seems to reduce the re-coil to about what I consider a 243 or less. Never tried it on the shot gun. My opinion, it's worth every penny and more! (but don't tell Limbsaver, they'll go up on price)

·
Mad Trapper
1,150 Posts
Go directly to the limbs aver Web sight and look for the premade recoil pad templates down load them and print them.
then take the butt plate off your shotgu find the template that will fit your stock. You'll pay a little more but you'll be much happier with a regular recoil pad.

slip on are good and they do work, but a prefix pad looks better and has zero chance of moving and won't add length of pull to your stock

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Go directly to the limbs aver Web sight and look for the premade recoil pad templates down load them and print them.
then take the butt plate off your shotgu find the template that will fit your stock. You'll pay a little more but you'll be much happier with a regular recoil pad.

slip on are good and they do work, but a prefix pad looks better and has zero chance of moving and won't add length of pull to your stock
What he said.

·
Registered
10,089 Posts
Thanks for the posts. I've been wanting something like this, so I'll have a look.

Based on your description of the problem, it sounds like my Grandfathers single barrel 12ga. That thing was pure torture to shoot..:xeye:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.