Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Warning: EXPLOSIVE!
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried these? I've eaten just about everything in the wild but these...

I understand they are "strong" in flavor. Anyone used these as part of "camp meal"?

Just curious...

·
Libertarian
397 Posts
check out Ray Mears wild foods.
There is something about the process required to utilize lilies as a food source.
I think you can process the seed head rather than the tuber.

·
Wild Edibles Expert
10,167 Posts
I presume you are referring to the root of the nuphar lutea (Yellow pond lilly.) There is one report from the 1700s that the Indians ate it as a famine food. I have boiled a diced root for over a week in four changes of water daily and never got it anywhere near edible. The seeds, however, are quite edible and can be prepared various ways. Visit my website eattheweeds.com. I have an article on the Nuphar.

·
Registered
688 Posts
We've got yellow pond lillies here but I've not tried them yet. Native groups here used it as a staple food. They collected then sundried the pods before pounding the pods to get at the seeds, or sometimes the pods were buried in underground pits until they fermented and then washed the husks away. I do that with tomatoes to get seed cleaned. The seeds can be steamed as is, dried and ground, cooked like a breakfast cereal or served like popcorn. Rootstocks are high in starch but can be very bitter, even after several changes of water. Apparently less so if you peel them after you bake, boil, or roast them.

It also produces alcohol instead of carbon dioxide. In Turkey the flowers are distilled. That I have had and it's a crazy, blinding moonshine.

·
V
21,713 Posts
Just this second saw Ray Mears picking and eating these in australia (and thought of this thread), You can eat almost all the lilly the tuber can be eaten RAW or processed to improve the flavour (apparently)

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
The flavor of the tuber probably has a lot to do with the type of water and soil its found in.the one Les ate looked like he pulled it from a northern lake,which would probably be pretty tanic.And so would the tuber.
Some of the lakes I've fished up in the U.P. have almost a rootbeer color from the tannin.

·
Wild Edibles Expert
10,167 Posts
Just this second saw Ray Mears picking and eating these in australia (and thought of this thread), You can eat almost all the lilly the tuber can be eaten RAW or processed to improve the flavour (apparently)
In his book on edibles in England Mears says -- as do I -- that he cannot recommend the nuphar root as edible.

I think if one had a non-tannic river to put them in for a few weeks they might be edible. But boiling them only binds the tannin to the starch, which is the same issue with acorns (see my video #50)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts