Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
3,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just finished reading Lights Out by David Crawford.
It was a really good book on par with One Minute After. The funny thing is the story takes place near where I live and uses names of people that are recognizable to me. I would like to find out how to contact the author to ask him how he researched the background for the book. I read it on Kindle so I don't have the cover page or copywrite or publisher info.
I think his depiction of the issues that would be central to our area (water & transportation) was very well depected it is a very good book.:thumb:

·
Banned
3,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Lights out is based on Wilson County TX. It is a very rural county the largest city is less than 10K but it is just outside of Bexar county which includes San Antonio & the county is proly around 2 million people with the city.
One Minute after is also an EMP attack book. It is about a small town from the point of view of one family. It seems a lot like the TV show Jerico to me. A little more gorey & bloody but also showing people pulling together & the government letting them down.

·
29 Posts
"Lights Out" is an excellent book, a must read for any survival stories fan, in my opinion. I enjoyed it and read it when it was just a fiction story posted on a website forum by a no name writer who went by "HalfFast" in the same way some of our very own are posting great stories on this site. "Lights Out" was written years ago in a post by post short story forum format on another website well before "one second after" was even written. As both are good books, don't nothing beat the original :p
As for your request to find the author, my only suggestion would be try to send him a PM on the other site and see if he will answer you. (While your there, read the first 6 chapters of his new book "Lost and Found" which should be in print soon. - WARNING: "Lost and Found" first six chapters are a preview or sneek peak as you will, no other chapters will be released till you buy the published book)
I don't know if i can post this here but if i can't somebody let me know and i'll edit this post.
"Lost and found" can be found HERE
"Lights Out" is the story that takes place outside San Antonio Texas
The story that takes place in North Carolina is "One second After"

·
Got Preps?
303 Posts
I just started reading Lights Out. I brought it to work to read during lunch since I have an hour to kill every day.

I'm only up to chapter 6 but I've found some odd things that I have questions on. One being: (it won't give away the book I promise) why are some diesel motors working? DO they just happen to be older vehicles and coincidentally are diesel or is there something special about a diesel engine that will work in the case of an emp?
The other is: why is the daughter's MP3 still working? I would have thought ALL computerized stuff would have been fried.

Over all, I am finding it to be a very good book.

I have read One Second After, it was an excellent book. We bumped up our preps after I read that one, it seemed very realistic to me.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
many diesel engines up to around '92 were not made with electronic controls for the fuel injection - just a straight mechanical system - and of course no ignition system at all. glow plugs (cold start aid) are'nt electronic in function either.
as for the mp3 it may have been sheilded in a faraday cage or just simply in a metal box.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts