Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Say when
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I did a "in house" trigger mod on my Axis in 7-08, basically just took it down, and clipped a coil and a half off the trigger spring, made a big difference, prob knocked at least a couple pounds off the trigger pull, made a terrible trigger, a not so bad trigger.

Anyhow, during some of my search, just looking at others info about the trigger, one guy on another forum said and i quote: "Whatever you do, make absolutely sure that you test to make sure the sear won't release should the gun be dropped or bumped during normal use. If you DON'T know how to test for this, you should not be making trigger mods at all."

Now I feel just as safe with my trigger now as I did before, but what "Test" is this guy referring to? I figure he just means by opening and slamming the bolt closed could cause it to fire?

Just thought I'd see if anyone here has an idea as to what he's referring to, thanks.

·
Registered
6,967 Posts
Unload the gun. Close the bolt. Take the safety off. Bang the butt on a wooden surface hard several times and see if it "dry fires". Obviously this is done with the gun pointing in a safe direction just in case. I'm not familiar with the Axis trigger but sometimes tacking coils off the spring can allow some creep in the trigger pull, which is generally not desirable.

·
Say when
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
10-4, thanks Franklin, I figured it was prob something with either slamming bolts or banging against hard surfaces. This is just a Deer hunting gun primarily, not a battle rifle. It will be on safe until time to take the shot. I'll go ahead and give it a try though at least, just to be sure, I don't see there being a problem though.

There is a slight creep on the trigger now, but barely noticeable. Even with that though, much, MUCH better than what it was before. I should have went with an Accutrigger, but at the time I didn't have the extra $100-$150 to spend.
Thanks again

·
CTP
1,715 Posts
On my bolt guns I had a gunsmith do all the trigger work. IMO, unless you really know what you are doing it is best left to the professionals since the cost of a trigger job is minimal. And because it is a deer hunting gun and the safety will be on until the last second is not an excuse for a less than professional trigger work. I don't care if you are in the woods by yourself. You don't need a ND. Take your rifle to a 'smith and spend the $50 to get it done right.

·
Say when
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i've done a lot of different mods to a lot of different guns. I'm not afraid to open up a gun and figure things out, i've been doing it for many years, and feel I have a pretty good understanding about the internal works. Like I said, I feel comfortable with what I've done, I was just trying to figure out what this guy on the other forum was talking about.

$50 per mod to a gunsmith would be on the very cheap end, take that times every gun I own that i've modified or have done some sort of work to, and that is a LOT of money.

Just like with my truck, I don't need to take it to a mechanic for everything, I can do most of it myself.

·
Registered
6,967 Posts
Before doing any spring modifications on guns always check out Wolff
http://www.gunsprings.com/home to see if they already have a spring that solves the problem. I don't know that they have a solution for your issue but they have a lot of special springs. Also great source for replacement springs for guns. I have spare for many of my critical SHTF firearms.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts