Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 123 Posts

·
ALIEN HYBRID
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I didn't want to start a new thread. But all threads on this topic were from 2009. So here it is...
I own 2 of the Modular Sleep Systems. They came with a patrol bag that provides cold weather protection from 35 to 50 °F (1.67 °C to 10 °C). The intermediate bag provides cold weather protection from -5 to 35 °F (-20 to 1.56 °C). Together, the patrol bag and intermediate bags provide extreme cold weather protection in temperatures as low as -30 °F (-35 °C). And a camo gore-tex bivy and a compression sack.
I only paid $79 each. Both in excellent condition. But as everyone knows. They are very heavy. Now I'm not a fan of the bivy. So I picked up a 2 man Eureka USMC Combat tent. Also abit on the heavy side. But when broken down between two people. It is very manageable.
Recently I've been debating on whether to sell my Modular Sleep Systems. And just get 2 regular 20° sleeping bags. But the prices are over the top. So then I thought of getting rid of just the bivys, patrol bags and compression sacks. And just keeping the intermediate cold weather bags. Then buying smaller compression sacks. I live in New Hampshire. So it does get cold. But sleeping in your clothes and the intermediate bag works. The Combat tent blocks the wind. So it's a good system I have set up for the BOB. I guess I'm just looking for others opinions and input on my post.
:zombie

·
reluctant sinner
20,163 Posts
Tent with lighter bags could be good. If you have some like polypropylene long johns to wear only in the bag (so they are dry) would help. If the bags zip together even better. A closed cell ground pad of some sort would help.

A metal water bottle or two full of hot water in an extra pair of boot socks. Down booties and a beanie hat help you to sleep warmer and don't weigh much.

·
Man in the desert
6,446 Posts
Is this the tent you have? 8.5 lbs minimum is high, even split between two people. There are excellent 2 man tents for half that weight.

Also, what kind of pad or mat are you using under your sleeping bag?

·
ALIEN HYBRID
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, that's the tent. My budget is tight. I'm not willing to spend $200+ for a tent. Sure there are lighter tents. But when I saw the tent for $20. I didn't ask one question. That is why i was lucky enough to have this tent. It is an awesome tent! Pretty much a 4 season tent. And 8.5 lbs divided 2 ways. Not bad in my book The rain fly is what make for most of the weight .
Ultra light packing is a rich man sport. And I'm not rich. As far a my sleeping mat goes. My lil sis hooked me up on a good light one. Don't know what brand. But it sleeps great. And its light.

·
ALIEN HYBRID
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My real issue is the sleeping bag situation. I like the military intermediate cold weather bag. It is a good bag by itself. Thinking I'll just sell my patrol bags. And the bivys.

·
ALIEN HYBRID
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Florida-Mike... I'm just not a fan of bivys. It worked great. I'm not knocking them. But I like having a tent. It sleep my girl and me. Plus keeps my gear. I'm going to have to research what I can get for the patrol bag, compression sack and bivy. I have 2 of each.

·
Man in the desert
6,446 Posts
Yes, that's the tent. My budget is tight. I'm not willing to spend $200+ for a tent. Sure there are lighter tents. But when I saw the tent for $20. I didn't ask one question. That is why i was lucky enough to have this tent. It is an awesome tent! Pretty much a 4 season tent. And 8.5 lbs divided 2 ways. Not bad in my book The rain fly is what make for most of the weight .
Yeah, unfortunately lighter weight usually comes at a higher price. You got a deal for $20, I'd keep using it.

When the weather's not so cold could you swap the inside bag for a bag liner?

·
Renaissance Man
7,503 Posts
You could search Craigslist and other places for some good used deals, but basically the MSS works and is cheap, but it is heavy as crap.

You could ditch the tent and tarp it. There's very little advantage to a tent other than keeping bugs out and being a bit warmer in winter.

If you can scrounge up some Christmas money or something, one of the Snugpak bags might be found for less than $50 and are fairly warm, very light, and also pack very small as a nice bonus.

While being ultralight is a rich man's game, you can get well into lightweight for not much money. Think used and look for good deals. Every time gear takes a step forward, lots of folks sell off the old gear to get the shiny new stuff. Their loss, your gain.

Az

·
reluctant sinner
20,163 Posts
One of my goal for this winter is to sew up a tent cut from 4 of the Sportsman's blankets. It will use my trekking poles and 2 stakes. I got 4 blue ones from Wal-Mart for like $35. I bought several yards of bug screen for $20 enough for several tents. Good zippers will add at least another $20 - 30.

I'll spray paint the blue side cammo, and have a two person tent under 4# that I hope will help hide me from thermal vision. All the seams will glued, sewn and then sealed. Should be dry inside with an 1"+ of standing water.

The design is A frame with full triangular door at the front with opening bug screen, at the foot end a smaller A, fixed bug screen and a zippered window cover.

I want to sew up my own bivy sack too, but I don't have the fabric yet. I want a waterproof bottom tub, with a breathable top and sides. It will also have a hood and bug screen at the head end.

You might consider a cart to help haul the load. A used big wheel jogging stroller could be very effective even cross country. They fold up and could be strapped to the outside of BOV.

·
in the woods
1,908 Posts
How cold of temperatures are you going to camp in? When it's sub-zero, imho, weight can't really be compromised. This is to allow for additional needed warm gear. No compromises. Even Wiggy's bags for -60*F are 6.5 to 8.5 lbs.

When vehicle camping, I use the Military Sleep System bags too. Patrol bag (green) with the cold weather bag (black) inside the patrol bag and those with a pad inside the bivy works for me inside a tent.

Using the bivy with the other two keeps me warmer than not using the bivy, FWIW.

Back packing, I use a Big Agnes Lost Ranger 15* down bag and a couple down quilts with a good insulated pad, also wearing a warm base layer. Still, much more weight than I'd pack in summer.

Haven't tried the 15* bag inside either the patrol or cold weather bag. That is another option you might consider.

·
ALIEN HYBRID
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
A used big wheel jogging stroller could be very effective even cross country. They fold up and could be strapped to the outside of BOV.
Funny that you mentioned that. Because I have one. Picked it up second hand for $5. Its for my girl. She's 5"2 120 lbs. So she be packing that. And a cat carrier strapped to the underside. Per her orders.

Attachments

·
ALIEN HYBRID
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 123 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.