Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am ashamed to say I have weak wrist. I didn't realize how bad it was until I went to the range last week. One of my guns has serious recoil. It didn't bother me at the time, but I have found myself holding my right wrist the past few days. I need to strengthen them. Do you have any suggestions for weights or exercise to help?

·
Armed Border Collie
5,901 Posts
The best wrist exercise is a simple one. Start with a 5 or 10 lb. plate or weight attached to a 4-5 ft. rope, attache the rope to a 1" thick dowel or segment of broom handle that is about 12 to 14" long. Start by twisting your wrists and rolling the rope up to raise the weight, then down again. This is an example using gym style equipment:

Another great exercise is to use a barbell held in your hands as you rest your forearms on a bench or table called a wrist curl. Lift the weight in your hands without moving your arms or forearms.

The wrist's strength is based on the forearm's strength since the wrist is basically a group of tendons, veins and nerves running through a set of connective tissue bands that holds everything together. Work on you hand's flexibility also, this will allow you to work your hands more aggressively with less fatigue.

P.S. Don't go heavy on the weight, low weight-high repititions.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
The wrist roll is brutal, but it does work, and you can do it with anything you have in your house. My initial set up was a cut down broom stick, a milk jug with water and a nylon clothesline...LOL

Rock climbing will do it too, and it's crazy, stupid, fun. You might try it. I turned out loving rock climbing a great deal. Tons of gyms in my area to keep skills sharp and you don't need anything to start if they have a bouldering area. If they don't have one, most places will rent you some shoes, a harness and an ATC. If it turns out you love it like I did, you can get into rock climbing for less than a hundred dollars if you shop around and know what to buy. At this point though I've got several thousand invested in it, what with my rope, rope bag, sport rack, harnesses, shoes, chalk bags (very important), slings, biners, ATCs, you name it. I don't have a trad rack though. Maybe someday, but not now. Sport and Top rope are good for me.

Sorry to ramble.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts