Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Guardian of Liberty
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cooker: I took 3 days of testing once I for my idea done. Here is the best result. I made it from a window shield used to keep a car cooler in the hot sun. Point the cooker like a flashlight at the sun, which means adjusting the angle about every hour, to maximize the use of the suns heat. It takes many hours to cook a cup of rice with a 1/4 cup of beans. I chose rice and beans because of the time it takes to cook. This is something that would take almost the whole day to cook your dinner, so plan ahead.

I like multiple use items and it dawned on me that this would be a very warm sleeping mat, but I was concerned with durability.

Sleeping pad: My plan is to get some spray on rubber to make it stronger. Then on my next hiking trip I will see just how well it works as a ground insulation. I have high expectations for that as well.

Note on the pics: These were taken after the testing was done and they were taken inside just to show how to fold it.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
It's been a long time since this post, but I'd be interested to hear how the sleeping pad/oven turned out. I love multiple use items... not a bad idea to put the pad to work to cook your dinner while you're out on a day hike :D

·
Guardian of Liberty
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Works well for both, but like I said about cooking, you need to plan ahead because it takes awhile.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Could you affix a more reflective/ flat material to reduce time? Id imagine the circles in it diffuse light making it take more time. Perhaps a survival blanket inside of tge finished cone.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts