Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys,
So I was just wondering, if you had to travel light, how light do you think you could travel? I'm not trying to inspire any 'Rambo' All-I-Need-Is-My-Knife carry-on, but seriously, what do you think is the minimum you could survive comfortably with for say, 2 weeks with?

For example:
-One of my fixed blades
-Multi-tool
-Canteen
-Wool Blanket
-Firesteel and Matches
-Extra Socks
-Swanndri
-Thermals
-Boots and Socks
-Compass
-30' Paracord
-Some form of food(Pasta, tinned chicken, barley sugars, museli bars, trail mix etc)

Just been thinking about it recently and though I'd bring it up.

Cheers,
Sean.

·
AKA The Dragon
2,819 Posts
Curious, what is a Swanndri? I'm guessing it is some type of cover or tarp.

Thermals would be good idea in your locality.

At the moment we are experiencing high temps, 37c inside and 46c outside yesterday.

·
Darting from the shadows
5,760 Posts
Curious, what is a Swanndri? I'm guessing it is some type of cover or tarp.
A swanndri is a bush shirt made out of tightly woven wool.
They're dense, warm, wind resistant and comfortable when lined otherwise they're itchy as hell.
They often have a long tail, hood and collar that can be opened down below your chest.

·
You looking at me!
4,028 Posts
This is really gonna depend on your location.

Im in Saskatchewan which is hovering around the -38 celcius temps at the minute which means id need a ton of winter gear and food to survive.

·
Darting from the shadows
5,760 Posts
This is ConnieD's website, she's got a lot of experience hiking light:
http://ultralightbackpackingonline.info

I've found myself that it's hard to go for more than a few days ultralight as to keep the weight down you'll sacrifice some comforts that you'll wind up really missing.
Something like a thermarest is worth carrying despite the weight as at the end of the day, it's nice to just rest on something soft.

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
To be "Comfortableish" I would need for two weeks(In my AO, fairly bad weather conditions, ie, middle of winter)

Multitool
Ka-Bar
Zebralight H501 and 3 spare Lithium AA batteries
Hootchie (probably times two)
Paracord
some sort of stainless steel pot (billi)
If it was raining and wet and winter I would not need water, however, in the middle of summer you can add 100l of water (yeah, i know!! thats going to muck up the weight)
fire lighting equipment (if i knew it was only going to be two weeks 1 box of waterproof matches should be fine)
Woolen blanket
All of my food requirements (not much that I know about that I can scavenge around here..)

I would be wearing all my winter gear, which includes:
Thermals
Long sleeve shirt
Pants
Huski Apex jacket
Jumper (the one I normally take camping with me is a poly thing, ideally I would have a woolen one..)
Waterproof pants
Rubber boots

I would really like to take an entrenching tool (folding shovel) as well, but it would screw up the weight and i'm not sure that i would "need" it to be comfortable, provided I can scrape up enough loose ground cover to make a bed to sleep on above the rain (which will probably be full of spiders and ants yipee).

If i couldnt scrape up enough ground cover I would need that to dig a trench around my "bed" to stop me getting wet and I would clear the ground cover from my "bed" and put the second hootchie down as a floor and sleep on that.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My Swanndri(A.K.A 'Swanni') is just as TH said, except mine doesn't have a hood and the wool is so tightly woven it is relatively resistant to rain. In most parts of NZ, you can get a lot of food from a lot of places. Same as water, staying warm and dry is the main concern.

Cheers,
Sean.

·
On my way.
317 Posts
My last hiking trip which was 30 k's hiked and one night out I took this gear and came in at 4426 gm, I just added food for those days and two litres of water.
I have had some new gear arrive and I expect to get that weight down a bit more. So the only thing to allow for me is more food for the time out and a resupply of water.

Category Item Weight (gm)Notes
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Clothing Down Jacket 203.00 Montbell
Clothing Golite Shirt 60.00
Clothing Termal Bottoms 271.00
Hygiene Toilet Paper 89.00
kitchen Beanie; Pot Warmer 40.00
kitchen Cup 30.00
kitchen Dish cloth 10.00
kitchen Lighter 15.00
kitchen MSR Pot 133.00
kitchen Scourer 5.00
kitchen TI Spork 20.00
kitchen Vargo Decagon Stove 37.00
Lighting Head Light 45.00 Petzel Elite
Lighting Tea Light Holder 53.00
Lighting Tea Lights 52.00
Misc Becker Necker 95.00 knife
Misc Camera 248.00 Point & Shoot
Misc Dry Bag 130.00 With contents
Misc First Aid Kit 95.00
Misc HD Video camera 263.00
Misc Mobile Phone 91.00
Misc Reading Glasses 135.00
Misc Survival Kit 193.00
Misc Tripod 50.00 small fold up
Navigation Compass 26.00
Navigation GPS 193.00 60csx
Navigation Map 119.00 In Pouch
Navigation Map Measurer 19.00
Shelter Nano Hammock 412.00
Shelter Sil Tarp 462.00 With all cords and figure 9's
Shelter Tri Tent Stakes 90.00
Sleeping DIY Quilt 457.00
Sleeping Yeti Under Quilt 360.00

Total Weight of Selected Items 4426.00 gm

·
Darting from the shadows
5,760 Posts
Kiwi Bowhunter,

The weather in kiwi-land must be nice this time of year: wool blanket and Swanndri and thermals?
We're just starting to get into our summer here and the temps will be 21-27celsius during the day, but that doesn't mean it'll not go below freezing and frost up over night.

With a camp fire though, that woolen blanket, thermals and swannie will be plenty enough.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Shelter is easy enough to make, a knife, rock and paracord will make a lean-to in an hour or so if I can't find much deadwood. Yeah, good weather over here recently, except I can see a westerly front moving in with it's friend Mr. Rain by the looks of that cloud. It's quite funny on the news how the news woman says "And Canterbury is in for a nice North-Westerly bringing warm winds" It's the plains, woman! It's not a wind, it's a howling wind that reaches over 100km/h! Lol.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, right now we have light from like 6am til 9pm so there's more hours of light than there is hours I can walk so it doesn't make a huge diff.

·
Darting from the shadows
5,760 Posts
Yea, theres plenty of time when you set out early morning and stop mid afternoon.
All thats needed this time of year is the most basic lean-to to keep the wind and dew off and they can be built pretty quickly.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Unpredictable weather

Kiwi Bowhunter,

The weather in kiwi-land must be nice this time of year: wool blanket and Swanndri and thermals?

Ever heart a Kiwi song called " four seasons in one day", Lots of tourists get in trouble as the make up of our islands can make the weather change dramatically fast. You need to be pretty much prepared for all weather at all times here.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts