Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why would you choose flint and steel over a bic lighter..... would you pick flint over a lighter.

What is you favorite tool when it comes to lighting your fire?

I'm a big fan of the butaine torch style lighters, but they burn through alot of fuel. Would you choose something else over my top choice, and why if you do.

Looking forward to some great answers on this one.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I have my 1941 zippo on my at all times. I even carry it in the wilderness. However it does not mean I will use it. I have firesteel and bow drill sets. I will use those first in an effort to learn something else than a modern invention. If true shtf happens there is only so many lighters made and available. I wont be left in the dark (pun), as that being my only skill in lighting a fire.

·
To secure peace is to...
4,194 Posts
I use dryer lint and a magnesium fire starter a lot. Mainly for practice. A magnesium fire starter lasts forever and doesn't run out of fuel (at least for a really long time) and dryer lint is free, abundant, and burns really hot.

·
DIY RPG's
1,667 Posts
i have lots of lighters 4 or 5 firesteels and a chunk of flint however i plan on bugin in and also plan on keeping a fire going at all times that way if someone needs a light they can get it from the home fire no point in wasting the other fire starting stuff when there is one always going sure fuel would be a problem for most but not here

·
531 Posts
I have firesteel right on my keychain. So, I guess that'd be my fav. Lasts for a hell of a long time and it's always worked when I needed it to.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Redundancy is the name of the game for all essential (life preserving) gear. Have a wide range of lighters and tinder/fuel. By far the most important lesson I have learned is to have experience in lighting fires in all sorts of conditions. Don't let the first time you have to light a fire in a savage storm with no real shelter be when you are bugging out or in a survival situation. In bad weather I have found a magnesium block works best (wind blows almost any flame out, but sparks still fly). Dryer lint isn't always relaible as tinder if you have lots of synthetic clothes going through the dryer - the lint just melts quickly. I carry magnesium block and striker, matches, lighters, magnifying lens and a little bottle of potassium permangenate and sugar. Also carry for tinder - cotton wool soaked in petroleum jelly, tampons, char cloth and various commerical firestarter/BBQ materials. Firelighting is like medical kits - skill is more important than the equipment. Have to admit that I have never made a fire with a bow or by any friction method and can't really be bothered to try.

·
cute is not always enough
2,232 Posts
My favorite tool is one of those long butane lighters usually marketed for BBQs. It lets you get right where you want it without worrying about getting burned. I do not have one in my go-bag. When SHTF I want more suitable gear.

Bic's do not work well if they are wet. They are pretty tough but if you break it then it is garbage. They run out of fuel. If I were limited to one choice then I would take a fire steel or magnesium block. Not as convenient but more durable and longer lasting.

I also try to make sure I am not limited to one choice.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts