Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
9,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

My owner is typing this, as you know with paws I cant type. Im a dog prepper - that is Im a dog and I prep.

I bury my bones in the garden and I can find them too.

I also check my toys and play animal chase/hunt with them. I love to chuck them up in the air and catch them, and play chase with the ball. I need to do my 5 rounds of the house at high speed to keep fit.

I sleep in the garden, Im sure that is a good prep, we have to be able to sleep on the ground and not the sofa when the SHTF.

I also supervise my Mum redoing her BOB, she keeps getting it wrong and I keep telling her what to do :rolleyes: Im a rescue dog so may have lived on the streets (Im not telling you cause that would mean Id have to tell her), so Iv done my Bug Out practice.

Id love to hear from any other pets out there getting their preps done.

·
Homesteader
1,222 Posts
Purdy Bear,

Both my dogs are rescues of mixed breed. Their names are Luna and Goliath. I found Luna on the stateline between Texas and Oklahom during a work project. I have never seen a dog more starved and still living. She approached me during my lunch break, and my heart just broke looking at her.

I gave her part of my lunch, and for a dog so obviously hungry, she never tried to snatch food or show any hostility. She came back every day until the last day when the project was over. I opened the door of my vehicle, and she jumped in, and has been here for the last 4 years. She will have a place at my side until the day she dies. I gave her the name Luna

Goliath came to me as a puppy already named. He was 3 months old, but I didn't know that, all I knew was that he was in a bad situation, and needed help. He was bought as a cute puppy for a spoiled child who got bored with him, and was chained to the porch and left there. The day I got him the people were packing a Uhaul truck, and I just knew they were going to leave him, so I went up and unchained him and told the people he was coming home with me.

You could see all his ribs, and he was scared of everything. I took him to the closest covenience store and bought him some chicken strips, and he has been my dog ever since. That was 6 years ago, and he has grown into a huge dog fitting for the name Goliath. He is very protective of his dad, and is always on the job. They are both super alert and let me know when things aren't right.

I have been thinking of making a cart for Goliath since he is such a beast, and I am sure he could pull quite a few pounds of gear or their own food for that matter. Dad has a big plastic barrel in the kitchen, and it is large enough to hold a 50lb. bag of food, plus extra bags in reserve. We have nail clippers, dishes, meds and our own book on pet emergency care in a tote for bug in, and can be transferred to a small pack for bugout.

They are an odd pair, both with issues from before they met me, but both
love me unconditionally, and that is a pretty rare commodity in this world.

Attachments

·
Registered
227 Posts
Woof woof woof, woof woof Purdy Bear. Woof woof grrrr, ruff woof Purdy Bear.

Dictated by Buster McBusterton, tall red were-beagle, chaser of squirrels and killer of bunnies.

Side note- Busters owners welcome Lily the lemon colored "pity" beagle to the family today! Some country dwelling family saw her put out of a truck and abandoned by two young men. Poor thing chased them down the road! These folks took her home, and she's a sweetheart, but Lily is a beagle and so of course, does not get on well with their cat. And so Busters Alpha Female took pity, coerced the Alpha Male... so welcome Lily!

·
Renaissance Man
7,503 Posts
Hi, my name is Rosie. I'm a black lab girl dog. But I'm not one of those girly dogs that wears ribbons and is scared of everything. I like meeting new people and making new friends. I love being outdoors more than anything except tennis balls. And if I have a tennis ball outdoors... well, it just doesn't get any better. Unless there's two tennis balls.

I remember when my family found me. I was in a big concrete building with a bunch of other dogs. Most of them were very sad, lonely, and many of them were old and sick. I was still with my mom and my brothers and sisters, so I was still pretty happy. But we didn't get to go outside. It was a long time ago, and I don't remember much, but I remember this big hairy person with a much smaller person with him come over to our cage one day. My mom was already in the back of the cage, and she was laying down, which she pretty much always was. All my siblings ran to the back of the cage. I think they were scared of the big hairy guy. I'm not scared of anything, so I ran over to the door to see if they had any tennis balls. They didn't, but the big hairy guy had a long beard that I grabbed in my mouth when he picked me up. I tried to pull his beard off, but it wouldn't come. So I started growling at it and shook it from side to side. He and the little person thought that was pretty funny and took me outside. As we rode in thier truck, I explored under the seat, and found a passage into the back seat. I learned that the little person was a little girl, and was the daughter of the big guy. Immediately, she named me Rose because she liked flowers.

I didn't get a chance to say goodbye to my mom, but I could see it in her eyes that she was happy that I had a place to go. I hope my brothers and sister found families as good as mine!

We got to my new home, and met my new mom. She wasn't too sure about me at first. She started making rules about me staying outside all the time. Which is ok by me! I like it better there anyway! Once they found out I liked tennis balls, they made sure we always had some tennis balls around. We also played tug of war, which was like what we did with the beard when we first met, but we used a rope or an old towel.

There was another dog that lived there, but she was old and didn't like to play. I tried many times, but she just wanted to sleep. She wasn't around very long. I think she was very tired.

We've had many adventures... swimming in the river nearby or in the lake. Hiking, exploring the neighborhood, I even went to the little girl's kindergarden class for show and tell one day. That was fun! All those kids were just like me... all they wanted to do was play!

Over the years, we worked on mom. Dad got het to let me in the house some. But mostly just in a cage in the basement when it was really cold or rainy outside. But over the years, she let me come in more and more. These days, I even get to sleep on the bed with them!

We've been a great family over the years, there is so much love and fun here, I just can't believe my luck that these people found me. And they're so smart! They actually understand when I'm trying to tell them something!

I've been here a long time, and I still like to play. I just can't play all day like I used to. I can chase the tennis ball a few times, but then I'm ready to go back in and take a nap. I can't run with dad anymore, I can't really keep up. At first he just slowed down for me, but now he has to run without me. I just make sure everything's safe at home for him when he gets back. We still hike, we just don't go as far as we used to. The little girl is moving out in a few weeks. I can tell because she's packing her stuff up and making decisions about what to take with her. I can't go. She's going to a place called college, and she'll be too busy to take care of me. So I'll stay with mom and dad, and keep them safe. I'm going to miss the little girl, although she's not very little any more. She's bigger than me, and I'm pretty big! She's really smart and tough though, I taught her everything I know, so she'll be ok whereever she goes. And she promises to visit. I hope she never forgets me and the fun we've had. I know I'll never forget her.

I'm getting tired again, so I better lay down and take a nap. Pretty soon we'll go outside so I can sniff around a little and maybe chase the tennis ball a time or two.

I hope all you other dogs have tennis balls and a family. Maybe we'll meet someday! Just don't try to take my tennis ball. I'm old, but I will defend it!

Rosie

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
Hi, my name is Bullet. I'm a Jack Russell Terrorist. I love playing ball, chasing the laser and chomping on cookies. Mom can't water the garden with me outside cuz I just love to chase the hose and get her to spray me with it. Then she has the nerve to get mad at me when I track mud in the house! Sheesh!

Anyway, Midge lives here too. She's a Silky Terrier that Mom and Dad rescued a few years ago. That's not her real name, but Mom says it suits her better than Lily Mae. She's a sweet girl and a great hunter, catches live birds in the back yard! Midge is really shy so she made me talk. Stands to reason though, the poor girl went through 4 homes in the first year of her life. Don't understand why, she's a fantastic girl, much better behaved than I am!

Together we race around the house in the mornings, running into doorways and making a mess of the bed and the couch. Mom doesn't mind though, she just sits back and drinks her coffee and laughs at us. We love spending a couple hours outside just laying in the grass, soaking up the sun. We are also great watchdogs together. Last Christmas Mom and Dad didn't take us with them on a trip, our Grammy came over to feed us and let us out. Well, let me tell you I let her feed me all right. I kept an eye on everything she was doing to make sure she didn't do anything bad and I ate my dinner. However, once she let me outside in the backyard I wouldn't let her back in :D:

Anyway, we keep a good supply of food. We make sure Mom keeps at least a year of food on hand for us, and don't forget the cookies! Got to have the cookies. We have plenty of those. :thumb: We take mom for plenty of walks, but don't get close to strangers cuz Mom doesn't want us to know too many people. Our next prep is to learn to go camping with Mom and Dad and be QUIET. That is not a prep we've mastered yet, but Midge is better at it than I am.

It's been fun chatting with you all, but Mom is ready to water the grass and I have to supervise through the blinds so I gotta go. Have a great day!

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,678 Posts
another thread that has nothing to do with disaster preparedness....

Oh yea, well I am a 200 lb watch dog in an 8 lb body. You better believe I let the folks I own know when some one is near or something is wrong around the old ranch.

All this 4th of July noise kind of wore me out last night. Going to take my FBOT (Favorite Bug Out Toy) and get a few winks while he is up and on duty.

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
Hi , my name is Rusty, I am a MinPin with a big attitude, I survived the streets of Fall City Nebraska before I let my new owners take me in. They really needed me to help them out you know. I am extremely loyal and active. I love to go camping and have my own duffle that I drag to the car when we get ready to go. I have been known to bring in extra food for my people as well (rabbits, squirrels). I also am good at keeping my people warm in the winter, well at least their feet it is where I sleep to keep the chill off their toes. I also have really good hearing I know when people are walking up the sidewalk long before you get to our door, so if my teeth don't scare you my owner's have back-up and are aware of you too. I love everyone who wants to be my friend but I can also tell the good from the bad so don't think you can fool me.

·
Registered
494 Posts
My name is Moonshadow. I am a Malamute and German Shepherd (Malamutt). I met my Mom at the fence the first time I saw her. I knew she was going to take me to “MY” human the big furry guy. I don’t know why she bothered taking the time to look at my brothers and sisters when I was already ready to go. We did have to bring one of my brothers Zeke so I would have someone to torment when they were gone during the day.
Silly people had no idea what they were dealing with. We went through Puppy Max Prison 1 through 4 before they finally gave up trying to keep me in a pen and let me have the run of the house. I have been the perfect dog for them now for over a decade. When they are home I am the most loveable smartest dog in the area. Everyone remarks how polite and well trained I am. But when my humans are gone I am at work and even neighbors I know are afraid to touch the fence so I do a super job of keeping our home safe. I even tolerate my dufus brother to still hang around.
I spend most of my time asleep now. That nasty old vet told us two years ago that I would not last another six months because of my back hips but we are showing them. I have never given up on my humans and they have never given up on me. I know my main human the big fuzzy one would sign up for another decade with us in a heartbeat. He tells me that and thanks me for being his dog while he holds me when I am scared because my back legs have given out again. The medicine keeps it from happening too often but it is starting to happen more and more. He does not pray much but I have heard him talk to whoever would listen and offer to trade twenty of his for another healthy 10 for me. I know they love me they even have a hill in the yard named after me. “Moo Bluff” it is where I sit when I am outside so I can look in the kitchen window and see what Mom is doing in the kitchen. I know this is my home and has been since day one. I am here because I want to be. Puppy Max proved I don’t have to stay any where I don’t want to. A tree limb has taken out the fence several times and I stayed in the yard all day and never set one paw outside where the fence was supposed to be. Even though those stupid stray cats they feed walked around and teased me. I stayed and did my work loyally and lovingly.
I do keep telling my humans that they are a bit light on my two favorite treats Beggin Strips and White Tic-tacs. I feel I should get a cut from that nasty old vet starting to use White Tic-Tacs as treats now too. I think I will bite him the next time we see him for not giving me my cut.

·
Patient Zero of WWZ
5,334 Posts

I'm Gussie. I'm a Boston Terror and I'm a good watch dog. Daddy says I'm mostly useless, but Mama says I'm not. When I hear someone outside I bark a couple of time then I stop, so Daddy can sneak up on them.

Daddy bought a dogie first aid kit for me and he has an extra bag of food for me too. He says he's going to put some more in mylar bags.

But I can find my own food, I know I can. If Mama would let me chase those tree rats I know I could catch them. And those hoppy things with the round fuzzy tail too.

·
Indefatigable
21,048 Posts
My name is Lucy, I am a 6 year old Boston Terrier. My humans said they picked me because when they went to visit my family I was the only puppy playing all by myself. They called me "runt", I think that means special. As soon as we arrived at the human house, I knew I had come just in the nick of time...I smelled a mouse. Within 3 days of living in my new home, I protected my humans by hunting him down and killing him. I still like to kill stuff, dad says "good dog" mom says "bath" that's OK I like getting pretty. Until I find a dead snake to roll on.

·
Registered
9,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi

Do your parents put you through fitness drills? My Mum keeps making me do press ups (sits and downs repeatedly)?

Shes pretty good letting me out to do my opsec patrols and I caught a rat one day and had a great time tossing it up in the air. Mum was very proud and gave me a chew to eat.

She is embarrassing though, she got me this bright orange coat, she says its a life jacket. Luckily shes not made me wear it outside.

·
Free Born
2,446 Posts
Hello all, my Name is Moe and I am a cat. Please don't attack me fellow prepper dogs!!! I may be different from you but I have the same goals as you do! I also am a prepper like the rest of you. I make sure my man servant...err "owner" keeps his prepping gear in an organized fashion in labeled totes and I even had him place a nice fleece blanket on top of the stack of totes in his room so that I can sleep on them to keep them safe. Some times I even sleep in his bed to act as an early warning device whilst receiving head scratchings and warmth, all fringe benefits I assure you!

I have even been known to cuddle with fellow, well tempered prepper dogs and cats, but alas the evil squirrels in my back yard mock and taunt me with there shouts and chatters. But I know those pesky neighbors prep, even know they put on that "I'm just another loud mouthed sheep/squirrel" are closet preppers. I even spied on a large food cash of theirs in a tree!! And those loud birds I some times catch *evil purr filled laugh* keep a large store of seed and other consumables in a neat little house that my man servant nailed to a tree in the back yard.

In conclusion, I am a prepper by osmosis! Hmm....now where did that man go, I require a brushing.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts