Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Forum Administrator
16,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How well does a LifeStraw filter water? Someone on youtube ran dirty water through a LifeStraw to find out.

The end result was surprising as I was expecting "something" to slip through the filter. When it comes to stockpiling low cost water filters the LifeStraw seems the way to go.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I read that this only filters down to 0.2 microns. So this wouldn't help with Covid 19/ Corona as it is 0.1 micron. I read that they are finding the virus in fecal matter and they have found it living up to 9 days on smooth surfaces. Any thoughts?

·
Banned
1,003 Posts
I like all the filters mostly got Sawyer filters due to their price point and micron size Sawyer I think was 0.05 a few years back.

My new filter was https://www.amazon.com/Etekcity-Filtration-Personal-Purifier-Emergency/dp/B010DF2NZ6

as it was the only one eligible for shipping at a relatively doable price

It is 0.01 micron.

I've seen lifestraws for less than this price point but it is about the same as a sawyer filter. Sawyers were way way more here to ship in.

I've never used the E tek city filters before so

Filters are useful to have, when I am out hiking or camping these are good if you can find some type of water source.

·
Live Free or Die
3,864 Posts

·
Forward, into the fray!
3,681 Posts
Just passing on an unsubstantiated rumour here, but I've heard that Life Straws leak and fail on occasion. In other words they let some water past the filter instead of through it. Like I said, I've not seen a reliable tested report on that. I do know that the military guys around here say their official channels discourage Life Straw and encourage the Sawyers for the small individual filters.

·
Banned
34,722 Posts
So Sawyer seems the way to go to be safe?
I have been using a Sawyer bucket filter for 100% of my potable water for the last 5 years.

Kev had some issues with a micro recently, but he did not follow proper procedures AND it was just after the knockoffs came out.

I have used a lifestraw, but it does <100 gallons while the same prices Sawyer mini does 100,000 gallons.
You also can't do anything but drink from it.
The soup sitting on my stove right now is full of water from my sawyer.

I have a Sawyer mini in each vehicle and in several bags.
I was buying 1 extra per year for my garage shelves.
When this "threat" occurred I bought 5 more for my "quarantine campsites" as I had not anticipated the necessity of a 30 day quarantine.

I have kadadine (sp?) Pumps, chemicals, a reverse osmosis system I haven't got around to installing (hence the bucket filter) a Sweetwater pump, old Miox filter using UV light, an Aquarain ( better than a Berkey) and I'm sure some I don't remember.

The $20 Sawyer mini is what I recommend after 5 years of use.
It's simple, cheap, and reliable in different ways. (The inline filter version may be worth getting.)
But hang onto the backflush injector.... (The $0.88 marinade injector that wall Mart sells every summer is the same thing.) Feed stores sell them for injection animals and THOSE come with a protective carrier.)
I have "several"

I'm Not saying my experience a record, but I consider it a good "real-world test" and it's what I bought my mother.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Thanks for that input. So you are saying buy extra backflush injectors at TS or WM to be safe? The one that comes with it is fine however?

·
Banned
34,722 Posts
Thanks for that input. So you are saying buy extra backflush injectors at TS or WM to be safe? The one that comes with it is fine however?
If you don't "backflush" it periodically it WILL get stopped up and quit working.

If Its been sitting a while I just go ahead and do it (it'll filter faster even if it wasn't needed)

I've been using the same one for 5 years.

....But what if I stepped on my only one? (Its just plastic)

·
Registered
503 Posts
I follow your logic and will make sure I pick up an extra. How do you know when you have reached the end of life for one of these filters? Also, backflush with clean water or do you sue a bleach or any solution?

·
Banned
34,722 Posts
I follow your logic and will make sure I pick up an extra. How do you know when you have reached the end of life for one of these filters? Also, backflush with clean water or do you sue a bleach or any solution?
I'm nowhere near the lifespan listed, and I use clean water..... So not really worried about it. I know I looked it Up 5-6 years ago so I SUSPECT It quits working rather than letting through unfiltered water.... Otherwise I would of picked a date to stop using it after 1/2 it's lifespan (that's how my mind works.)

You backflush using clean potable water.

I fill up the cup I use to brush my teeth and run 1-2 of those through it.

Makes it go from drops back to a stream/rapid drops.

All your doing is pushing out the "stuff" the filter caught.

·
Banned
9,381 Posts
Steripen..... kills everything

·
Banned
9,381 Posts
UV light IIRC.

Needs batteries. (I 'd STILL drop $20 on the "simple backup")

JMHO, YMMV.

Renovo Filter
One Bottle of 50 Potable Aqua Germicidal Water Purification Tablets
One Bottle of 50 PA Plus
Steripen

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
I read that this only filters down to 0.2 microns. So this wouldn't help with Covid 19/ Corona as it is 0.1 micron. I read that they are finding the virus in fecal matter and they have found it living up to 9 days on smooth surfaces. Any thoughts?
15 minutes at 135° will kill the coronavirus.
Filters are for other things.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts