1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
LIFE IN GAZA TODAY….. GETTING WORSE BY THE MINUTE

Gazans build mud stoves using tunnels’ sand; no fuel expected in coming days
maan57255_wm_457x400.jpg

Gaza – Ma’an Report – Piles of sand and mud began popping up in front of houses in Rafah last week. The traditional signs of home renovations or construction, the neighborhood wondered about the reasons behind these piles, since no construction materials have come into Gaza for months.

On closer inspection it becomes obvious that the piles cannot be construction materials, since the sand is not the same color of the sand from Gaza’s abandoned settlements, from where most material has been salvaged.

The sand, in fact, is the same color as the sand beneath the homes of the southern area of the Gaza Strip.

The sand excavated from the hundreds of tunnels snaking beneath the Gaza-Egypt border is being given a second life. The latest construction projects in Gaza are mud and sand stoves powered by firewood.

Since the siege stopped the transfer of food, fuel and construction materials into the Strip, Gazans have been forced to get creative if they are going to survive.

Abu Yasser, a resident of Rafah city, saw the value of the sand early, and made a deal with tunnel diggers to have some of the sand delivered to his home. His was one of the first buildings in front of which a mud and sand stove appeared.

“I used to work inside the Green Line [in Israel],” said Abu Yasser, “but since the last Intifada I have lived hard situations, I sold food products in some of the markets here but now that there is no food or supplies coming in I can no longer work.”

Desperate times, says the father, call for desperate measures.

Another Rafah resident, Abu Mohammad, said when he saw the piles of sand next to the tunnels he thought also began wondering how he could use the material, “since no one else was using it.”
“I mix the muddy sand with hay and straw,” he explained, and crafts small ovens out of the sturdy material. “I sell each stove for 150 shekels,” he said with a half smile.

To make the ovens the tunnel sand is first purified and large rocks and debris are sifted out. Next water and hay are added to the sand. The resulting sticky mixture is formed into the dome shaped oven and left to dry. The final product is sturdy enough to be carried and transported.

Abu Yasser said he learned how to make the ovens from his father when he was a little boy. “I last built these ovens 15 years ago,” he reflected, but the last time was for fun, now it is a necessity.

The almost total absence of fuels and cooking gasses has made the search for alternative forms of energy imperative for Gazans.

Paraffin camp stoves, ingenious solar energy and wood-burning contraptions have all become popular now that the mostly urban Strip has been sent back to the pre-industrial era.

Since 4 November the 1.5 million residents of the Gaza Strip have not received any, not provisions: food, fuel, raw materials or construction supplies except for a “token” amount of goods transferred in on 17, 24, 26 and 27 November.

Approximately two thirds of the goods transferred into Gaza were for humanitarian organizations like UNRWA, and industrial fuel supplies for the Gaza power generator were not enough for more than 30 hours of electricity.

The Gaza Strip now experiences rolling blackouts for most of the day, lineups form outside of bakeries that receive small shipments of flower and the tunnels are bringing in basic goods for subsistence living that few people can afford.

Source: http://desertpeace.wordpress.com/2008/12/01/life-in-gaza-today-getting-worse-by-the-minute/

·
Registered
255 Posts
A friend of mine lived there for several years. He left after the Hamas takeover. he's now in Sweden interestingly.

Terribly trying times there, but they are creative, eh?

Thanks for sharing.

·
531 Posts
I have a friend that's been over there. The problem comes from both sides. They're both in the wrong.

·
Banned
630 Posts
I am really shocked at all the sympathy for these sub-human arab scum...as a people or race the Israelis were supposed to wipe them out as recorded in the Old testament, The Israelites were supposed to take the lands and kill every man, woman, child, all the animals.....and raze their cities to the ground....as commanded by Almighty God...
The arabs as a race have been nothing but trouble from the beginning of time and basically it is because of the disobedience of the Israelites to carry out GOD's plan that
we have to put up with them today.....

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
8,248 Posts
I am really shocked at all the sympathy for these sub-human arab scum...as a people or race the Israelis were supposed to wipe them out as recorded in the Old testament, The Israelites were supposed to take the lands and kill every man, woman, child, all the animals.....and raze their cities to the ground....as commanded by Almighty God...
The arabs as a race have been nothing but trouble from the beginning of time and basically it is because of the disobedience of the Israelites to carry out GOD's plan that
thats not very christian-like of you.

·
Banned
630 Posts
Highlander,

Scripturally they should not be here......They were an abomination to God....and still are....Im not suggesting that they are unredeemable, but as a race they are a bottom rung......

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
WOW.

Show me where they were supposed to kill Ishmael? Chapter and verse please. The "Arabs" descend from Ishmael. I think you'll find that this was either the Philistines or Canaanites who were Baal worshipping "heathen" not Ishmael, sons of Abraham, whom God blessed....so says the Old Testament.

·
531 Posts
Funny, seems to me that's a bastardization of the word of God. Much like the one the fringe elements of Islam are using to justify their killings.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
8,248 Posts
Highlander,

Scripturally they should not be here......They were an abomination to God....and still are....Im not suggesting that they are unredeemable, but as a race they are a bottom rung......
I understand. However, all of the education I have ever had about christianity taught tolerance, peace and love thy neighbor. Unfortunately, most of the "reborn" christians that I have encountered in my adult life have been the most bigoted, intolerant people I have ever met.

I cast a wary eye on anyone or any "God" that seeks to wipe out a race of people or a belief system.

·
I help enlighten folks
16,624 Posts
Funny, seems to me that's a bastardization of the word of God. Much like the one the fringe elements of Islam are using to justify their killings.
Something we can agree on. There are fundamentalists on both sides that keep on fanning the flames to justify their existence.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Starting threads I know will get banter going is priceless. Knowing FXjohn will start foaming at the mouth makes my day hahaha.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sammy was a great entertainer!!! and a converted Jew. Guess what FX I don't hate him. Your digging for a Nazi that just isn't there. I think however you have more in common with Nazi's than most you call racists around here.

1 - 20 of 110 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.