Survivalist Forum banner
81 - 93 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Are those numbers untail loss of accuracy or with full auto? Because most people that shoot alot (semi auto) are getting 20-30k out of quality CL AR barrels and remaining combat accurate. I personally know a guy who has over 40k through a Noveske barrel and it is still shooting 3" groups. He did use it for 3 gun but retired the rifle to HD duty. The AK being lowered pressured I figured a significantly higher life expectancy.
I'm guessing Justin was talking about 5.56 AK barrels. I'm far from an expert on AK's I own a couple, and shoot them somewhat regularly (maybe 1500-2000 rds a yr), and have carried one in the past. But I have absolutely no experience with the 5.56 models.

My experience with AR barrels is an average lifespan of about 20k. Older Noveske barrels are excellent, and tend to last about twice that. I have one AR with just over 93k on it, which is on its fifth barrel (one was not shot out, but was changed because I didn't like the HBAR). I have another with 32k on it, which is still on its original barrel. I've seen barrels burned out in as few as 5k rounds with fullauto, and short barrels.

·
Awesome
18,012 Posts
I'm guessing Justin was talking about 5.56 AK barrels. I'm far from an expert on AK's I own a couple, and shoot them somewhat regularly (maybe 1500-2000 rds a yr), and have carried one in the past. But I have absolutely no experience with the 5.56 models.

My experience with AR barrels is an average lifespan of about 20k. Older Noveske barrels are excellent, and tend to last about twice that. I have one AR with just over 93k on it, which is on its fifth barrel (one was not shot out, but was changed because I didn't like the HBAR). I have another with 32k on it, which is still on its original barrel. I've seen barrels burned out in as few as 5k rounds with fullauto, and short barrels.
i forget where i read that.. it may have been how frequently military replaces them which with a lot of full auto is believable, or the point where you start to get some loss in accuracy.. it obviously depends a lot in the ammo you used and how its treated

AK barrels for 5.56 are either 4150 chrome lined or nitrided from one source, or chrome lined and hammer forged if you get them from arsenal

i think luckygunner did a test between the cost savings of steel cased ammunition vs the increased wear on the barrel and found that there was little to no actual costs saved going steel case (generally bimetal jacket) over brass ammunition for 5.56.. so it would seem bimetal jacketed ammunition would decrease barrel life too

5.45 would probably have the lowest barrel life because of it being a high velocity round and typically only has bimetal ammunition available for it

·
Registered
7,394 Posts
How many rounds went through an military rifle in Iraq or Afghanistan ? More than what some of these internet types say will burn out a barrel.
There are gauges and specs to measure. Barrels last much longer in the military than most would expect. Accuracy isn't the primary reason and losing an MOA for most combat rifles isn't really that big of a deal. If there's throat erosions, pitted barrels, etc., you'll see replacements; accuracy? Not very often in big army.

I have a couple rifles with several thousands of rounds through them as they're my primary for classes, but honestly, I suspect they'll last longer than me. They're not precision rifles, but that is a consideration if you see a drop off.

ROCK6

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I hate to jump on an old thread too, but number of rounds is not an exact measure. 5k rounds at a slow semi auto rate of fire is not the same as 5K rounds at full auto as fast as you can dump 100 round drums. Plus the ammo you are using and how you care for the gun matters too. I too have guns that go back generations that still work great but I am not a "got to make one ragged hole or it isn't worth a crap" type shooter. In SHTF it is going to be less about headshots than just hitting the enemy or prey. I figure if I can put all my rounds from any gun in a 6 inch circle at my desired distance then I am good. (Que the "You are a horrid shot crowd"). I will say that the downside I see in AKs over ARs is that it is harder to swap the barrel. I still have both because I like options.

·
Registered
84 Posts
What is the life expectancy of an AK - 47? I know their reliability is by all accounts second to none. I am just wondering how many rounds can one expect to put through one before its done dealin'.

I read somewhere that it was 10,000 - 14,000 rounds, but unsure if that's accurate or not.

"This may sound crazy but it’s fair to say that they finally suffer a catastrophic failure (cracked trunion) at 80,000-100,000 rounds. Also, we have WASR’s that have suffered a catastrophic failure and we just pull out the old trunion and barrel, grab one from a parts kit, re-rivet, re-barrel and get them up and running."

·
Registered
36 Posts
Just bought an AK a couple days ago. I'm really liking it so far. It will most certainly last longer than I will! 😉

81 - 93 of 93 Posts