Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Ding... Thanks for playin
4,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a real gut check scenario with a couple different options. Think these through and see how you would answer. Knowing whichever way you go someone will not make it.

I had a guy at work ask me this today and I thought it would make a great thread here on the boards… He prepares and started talking to me about it. They have no idea that I already have been doing it for years, I don’t tell too many people…

The scenario is the same with only the people different,:
TS has HTF and your bug out did not go as planned. Something went wrong and there was unforeseen events (Can’t plan on everything) that has put you in a situation that only you and one person out of 3 will make it.

Whom do you save? Remember sacrificing yourself is NOT an option

1. You and your wife leaving your child
2. You and your child leaving your wife
3. You and your husband leaving your child
4. You and your daughter leaving your son
5. You and your son leaving your daughter

It is not a thought some of us has spent much time on figuring all the prep and planning we have it all covered. Fact of the matter is we can not cover each and every possibility that might be thrown our way. For each action / decision we make there where many other ways we could have went and each one of them would have a different outcome.

So knowing that some of us if and when the time comes will be forced to make just such a decision, what would yours be?

Mine was: I would then let all three of us parish as I could not go on knowing I had to make that situation so we would go together as a family

·
Banned
6,670 Posts
What is the point of running a scenario that will never come to pass? Describe to me one logical, realistic circumstance in which you'd be forced to choose between your wife and your children and I'll think it through and give you an answer. Otherwise, like Fishbread said, there is nothing to be gain from this exercise.

·
4,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I see your point but unless you can tell the future you have no idea ths will not come to pass. Chance favors the prepared mind...

If you can tell the future give me the lotto numbers please... pm of coarse... :thumb:

·
Happiness is 2 at low 8
1,403 Posts
#1, you can always have more children. Sounds bad, but is the most logical.
Not all of us can have more kids.

In my case it would be option 2. My wife and I have lived a fairly long and adventurous life. We have few regrets. My daughter is a grown woman with a child of her own. She has much ahead of her.

If sacrificing myself was not an option, per the givens of the exercise, then I would have to opt for letting my very capable wife fend for herself and saving the next generation to carry on...

Allan

·
Happiness is 2 at low 8
1,403 Posts
What is the point of running a scenario that will never come to pass? Describe to me one logical, realistic circumstance in which you'd be forced to choose between your wife and your children and I'll think it through and give you an answer. Otherwise, like Fishbread said, there is nothing to be gain from this exercise.
One scenario is that your car has plunged into swift water. You are not seriously hurt but both your wife and child are injured and trapped in the sinking car. Which do you save knowing you have only one chance before the car is swept away and out of reach?

Similar scenario; your car has run off Alligator Alley and into the canal that parallels the road (happpens all the time down here). The car is sinking; both wife and daughter are injured and cannot swim. You must get them out of their seat belt and out of the car; thn swim them to the shore and hoist them up the bank before being able to go back after the second victim. The rescue, swim to shore and back to the car takes 5 minutes. The one you left behind is in 20' of black mucky alligator infested water. You may and probably will try to save the second, but the chances are slim. Which do you take out first?

Allan

·
4,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have had a few pm's now about my answer, mine is on the start of the post... just highlight the post and it will show up... It is on the bottom

·
Guardian of Liberty
435 Posts
Alone

You have forgotten completely about people that don't have anyone else in this world. A few months ago I lost my entire family. With no family, I have only one choice in everything I do, make sure I come out on top. When my family was with me, I would have agreed that there is no purpose asking the question of "who would you sacrifice," I paraphrase of course.

·
Banned
6,670 Posts
One scenario is that your car has plunged into swift water. You are not seriously hurt but both your wife and child are injured and trapped in the sinking car. Which do you save knowing you have only one chance before the car is swept away and out of reach?

Similar scenario; your car has run off Alligator Alley and into the canal that parallels the road (happpens all the time down here). The car is sinking; both wife and daughter are injured and cannot swim. You must get them out of their seat belt and out of the car; thn swim them to the shore and hoist them up the bank before being able to go back after the second victim. The rescue, swim to shore and back to the car takes 5 minutes. The one you left behind is in 20' of black mucky alligator infested water. You may and probably will try to save the second, but the chances are slim. Which do you take out first?

Allan

OK, I guess I was a little quick to dismiss the possibility. A scenario as the above is possible I suppose.

In that case, I would save my child and leave my wife behind. I know my wife would also want it that way. If the roles were reversed and my wife was making the choice, I would expect her to do the same.

I don't think there are any parent out there who would chose to save themselves over their children.

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
#1, you can always have more children. Sounds bad, but is the most logical.
You better clear that with your wife first. If my husband chose me over our children, I'd kill him myself- or leave him afterward. I could not live with someone who would allow my children to die without trying to save them.

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
Triage- I'd have to determine which of my children would stand a better chance making it out. My husband would be on his own- and I'd expect him to do the same if he were making the decision. Children first.

And, btw- this should have a warning in the header that it breaks the Mom Rule :(

IMO without knowing the specific details of a situation and actually being IN it- one cannot decide who one would save. All I do know is that my children come first. Period.

Here is a real gut check scenario with a couple different options. Think these through and see how you would answer. Knowing whichever way you go someone will not make it.

I had a guy at work ask me this today and I thought it would make a great thread here on the boards… He prepares and started talking to me about it. They have no idea that I already have been doing it for years, I don’t tell too many people…

The scenario is the same with only the people different,:
TS has HTF and your bug out did not go as planned. Something went wrong and there was unforeseen events (Can’t plan on everything) that has put you in a situation that only you and one person out of 3 will make it.

Whom do you save? Remember sacrificing yourself is NOT an option

1. You and your wife leaving your child
2. You and your child leaving your wife
3. You and your husband leaving your child
4. You and your daughter leaving your son
5. You and your son leaving your daughter

It is not a thought some of us has spent much time on figuring all the prep and planning we have it all covered. Fact of the matter is we can not cover each and every possibility that might be thrown our way. For each action / decision we make there where many other ways we could have went and each one of them would have a different outcome.

So knowing that some of us if and when the time comes will be forced to make just such a decision, what would yours be?

Mine was: I would then let all three of us parish as I could not go on knowing I had to make that situation so we would go together as a family

1 - 20 of 73 Posts