Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
I didn't do it
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought this post would better suit the disaster preparedness section better than the book section.
I have been looking for books for a library when the SHTF, so far I have the complete foxfire series (i think, 6 books), the SAS survival handbook, and a book called the complete outdoors encyclopedia. I want to have an extensive library of books that might be useful post TEOTWAWKI. Do any of you have a library? if so which books do you have, or which books would you recommend? I would like some medical books, books on homesteading, and as many how to books as possible that might be useful. Thanks for any Ideas!

·
Lux in Tenebris
6,759 Posts
I have:

"Dare to Prepare."

FM 21-76

The Special Operations Forces Medical Handbook

Many more .pdf's too..

When there is no doctor/dentist series...

various military manuals...

·
Registered
98 Posts
I thought this post would better suit the disaster preparedness section better than the book section.
I have been looking for books for a library when the SHTF, so far I have the complete foxfire series (i think, 6 books), the SAS survival handbook, and a book called the complete outdoors encyclopedia. I want to have an extensive library of books that might be useful post TEOTWAWKI. Do any of you have a library? if so which books do you have, or which books would you recommend? I would like some medical books, books on homesteading, and as many how to books as possible that might be useful. Thanks for any Ideas!
The fox fire series is a 12 part book series. i am on number 4, and hunting down the others via ebay :)

PRECYCLE is GREAT book! tells you how to make things you would normally buy, and i plan on utilizing it when my preps run out. bleach, vinegar, ect.

·
Ham Extra Class
3,263 Posts
I have about 20 books that will aid in survival.
They are everything from home remedies to survival handbooks.
Here is a picture of a few of my books. Forgive me for not taking a picture of all of them, I am to tired to go get them out of the closet.
I also have, but don't count books on how to tell what names are reptiles,trees,plants,fish,and mamamals.

·
I didn't do it
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The fox fire series is a 12 part book series. i am on number 4, and hunting down the others via ebay :)

PRECYCLE is GREAT book! tells you how to make things you would normally buy, and i plan on utilizing it when my preps run out. bleach, vinegar, ect.
Im gonna have to find the other 6 I guess... I did have the army survival manual, but ended up giving it to my nephew. I want some books on medicinal and edible plants also. Ive been lookin on amazon quite a bit.

·
I didn't do it
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have about 20 books that will aid in survival.
They are everything from home remedies to survival handbooks.
Here is a picture of a few of my books. Forgive me for not taking a picture of all of them, I am to tired to go get them out of the closet.
I also have, but don't count books on how to tell what names are reptiles,trees,plants,fish,and mamamals.

Thats a pretty good collection...thanks!

·
Registered
787 Posts

9 in the set. started buying them when they first came out. Bought them as they came out. Very interesting read. Good stories. Full of great info.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
67,105 Posts
I've been a bookworm my entire life. I have a library on all sorts of topics. A couple I can recommend right off are the Encyclopedia of Country Living, and the Country, Garden and Survival Wisdom books from Sam's Club.

Don't forget some good cookbooks. So few people take cooking seriously, yet it's one of life's most basic skills. Since so many cultures around the world base their cuisines on many of the same staple foods that we store, it only makes sense to be able to cook those cuisines. This lets us get the most variety out of what we are already storing. No sense eating the same ol' thing over and over.

·
I didn't do it
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've been a bookworm my entire life. I have a library on all sorts of topics. A couple I can recommend right off are the Encyclopedia of Country Living, and the Country, Garden and Survival Wisdom books from Sam's Club.

Don't forget some good cookbooks. So few people take cooking seriously, yet it's one of life's most basic skills. Since so many cultures around the world base their cuisines on many of the same staple foods that we store, it only makes sense to be able to cook those cuisines. This lets us get the most variety out of what we are already storing. No sense eating the same ol' thing over and over.
I do want a couple of good cook books as well, i havnt had much experiance cooking wild game...just venison a few times.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have a alll of the susun weed books as well- they are all about herbal healing, and a wealth of info. I have several wild edibles and herb identifing books, and several more herbal healing info. Emergency childbirth, lots of how to's, every mother earth news magazine i can get my hands on, and a straw bale building book or two:)

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Henley's 10,000 trade secrets
Boy Scout field mamual
several outdoors/camping cookbooks
Tom Brown's survival guide
first aide manuals
foxfire-8 books out of the series
The whole list would be very long
Plant propagation
several ag. books

·
Registered
98 Posts
no problem! I have had good luck with ebay, and amazon :) I find that Goodwill industries often lists books on amazon rather cheap !

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I have hundreds of books on just about every subject I believe could be useful, including quite a few on growing food. My favorite when it comes to gardening and the one I always turn to is The Vegetable Gardener's Bible by Edward C. Smith. He's not the most famous author but he's just about the best.

·
Registered
43 Posts
free medical downloads:

This is a great accumilation, by a doctor, of medical books, places to purchase and prices. And best of all, publications of either the same books or similar ones for FREE! The free ones will fit on a 2 gig thumb drive. The doctor stated that he carries the thumb drive with him when going to third world countries.

Upon reviewing, you may wish to print and add to your survival library.

http://www.moljinar.com/page5/page7/...ne Books.pdf

Also this site is the best one site i have found for free survival downoads:

http://www.ps-survival.com/PS/index.htm

I recommend printing your "must haves" out and placing them in old binders so you have them even if you have no power source.

·
I didn't do it
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
free medical downloads:

This is a great accumilation, by a doctor, of medical books, places to purchase and prices. And best of all, publications of either the same books or similar ones for FREE! The free ones will fit on a 2 gig thumb drive. The doctor stated that he carries the thumb drive with him when going to third world countries.

Upon reviewing, you may wish to print and add to your survival library.

http://www.moljinar.com/page5/page7/...ne Books.pdf

Also this site is the best one site i have found for free survival downoads:

http://www.ps-survival.com/PS/index.htm

I recommend printing your "must haves" out and placing them in old binders so you have them even if you have no power source.
The first link didnt work, but the second one has a lot of good downloads....thanks! i will be downloading a bunch of them

·
Livin on the Edge
361 Posts
I've been debating how to save books and build a library for SHTF/TEOTWAWKI and as a bibliophile I've always had an affinity for books. However I'm wondering if a Kindle wouldn't be the way to go. 6k books in a small hand held device. Obvious issue is battery life. I presently don't own a Kindle but have been thinking of it for this reason, especially since the price dropped today. I almost think a person should go both ways on this, some essentials in print as well as the digital library. Didn't mean to hijack the thread off topic but have been thinking of this alot.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts