Survivalist Forum banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Well, I do believe there is merit in a Pistol Caliber Carbine with a matching revolver. I’m on the East Coast, so a combo in .327 Federal Magnum suits my needs. Good luck with your decision!

Have you perchance chronoed the .327 fed out of the rifle yet? It's a chambering I am highly interested in. Seems like it may well be quite the coyote medicine.

In a sidearm it treads into stout 9mm , bottom end .357 territory.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have a Rossi 92 in 357 magnum and Winchester 94 in 30-30.

I shoot the Rossi in Cowboy Action Matches off and on and enjoy it. It's fun to shoot gun. Low noise with 38 special.
On your Rossi 92 are you using the original sights or a peep? If you have upgraded the sights what did you go with? I just never really like the factory sights on mine.

·
Grumpy
77 Posts
Have you perchance chronoed the .327 fed out of the rifle yet? It's a chambering I am highly interested in. Seems like it may well be quite the coyote medicine.

In a sidearm it treads into stout 9mm , bottom end .357 territory.
I have not. Here is some data from an American Rifleman article.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,291 Posts
On your Rossi 92 are you using the original sights or a peep? If you have upgraded the sights what did you go with? I just never really like the factory sights on mine.
I'm still using the original sights. My Rossi is an older Interarms import with a standard square rear blade sight.

I note looking at Rossi's website, that some come with a buckhorn rear sight. I'm not a fan. I prefer a standard square blade rear sight or a peep sight.

I recently added this lever / leather wrap. Find it makes shooting the rifle fast during cowboy action shoots more enjoyable.

Attachments

·
Start up the rotors
7,648 Posts
Mine is from the same era mid to late 80s. Just the blue 16" Rossi Puma. Hard to beat for general handiness.
My 357 'M92 is an older one too. No top safety, the emblem on the left side, saddle ring. Great little carbine.

The 45LC I got this year. Haven't even shot it yet with everything that's happened. But I think I'm going to replace the top safety with a peep.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Picked up a 24" Rossi 357earlier this year, my 16" 357 was lonely. The 24" is quite hefty, but eats everything including 38 wadcutters.

The 16" is like shooting a bb gun and the girls love shooting it. It weighs 4.something pounds.

Casting your own is where 38s, 357s, and 44s shine. You can make so many different boolits for whatever application you want, and you're not breaking the bank doing it.

You can make some rocket 357 loads if you check your load data book and find the fastest powder. H4227 will push a jacketed 125gr to almost 1900 fps in a revolver, so I'd love to see how fast they fly out of a rifle.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Idk about rifle, but out of a revolver .357mag is terrible for hunting. The last deer I killed 5 years ago was with a 357 revolver and I believe the bullet only penetrated a couple inches. Hit it in the spine so it dropped, but took a couple more shots to put it down.
theres nothing in north america the 357 wont kill with proper placement. and the 30 30has put more meat on the table then most.

·
Premium Member
2,300 Posts
Idk about rifle, but out of a revolver .357mag is terrible for hunting. The last deer I killed 5 years ago was with a 357 revolver and I believe the bullet only penetrated a couple inches. Hit it in the spine so it dropped, but took a couple more shots to put it down.
It’s better in a rifle.

·
Registered
4,641 Posts
My step Mother told me that her dad shot his deer every year with a Winchester 92 in 25-20. He had a large ranch and shot from his pick up, or the harvester. I like 25-20 a lot but there is no non-lead ammo available so we can not hunt with them in California. I put a full buckhorn sight on my '92, it shoots well enough to harvest deer at 50 yards, maybe more in the right circumstances. With barnes projectiles a 357 lever would do just fine. I pulled a 158 gr SWC from wild boar. Shot at 20 yards 14" of penetration, measured. Be careful with pistol projectiles as they were mostly made to expand fast. Use a heavier projectile with a good shape. Learn from Elmer Keith's experience.

·
Retired and luvin it!
939 Posts
Aging eyes and one family member that is cross-eye dominant has lead us to mount Vortex Strikefire II on most of our long guns. Same sight/battery and operation so it takes one learning curve off the training list. Have them on 3 lever guns ranging from the Henry 22, Rossi 92 and Marlin 45-70. Same with other rifles except the 308s Even those have the option of an illuminated reticle.

Having a red-dot on a lever gun may LOOK funny but I despise buckhorn sights especially at dusk. Having the option of a red or green dot makes things more friendly/usable for my family unit ;)

·
Registered
8,291 Posts
Wholeheartedly concur , and this comes from an individual who owns Marlin , Henry and Winchester lever rifles in .22 Lr , .357 mag , .44 mag , .30-30 ,.35 Rem , .38-55 , .45-70 and .450 Marlin. Yes I own a lot of other rifles in both bolt and semi-auto platforms.........that said I have a long abiding affection for lever rifles.

They run cast slugs quite well too. As an aside the two larger chamberings are my go to rifles for bear defense , higher rate of fire than my .375 RUM , .375 H and H or either of the .416s ( Rigby and Ruger) , though not as efficient at distance.......especially in the case of the .375 RUM , flip side is that the lever rifles are a lot more carryable.

Working cattle , there is quite frequently a .30-30 , .35 rem or .38-55 with me , sometimes one of the pistol calibers.

Another facet is that.30-30 , .35 rem , .38-55 and .45-70 can be loaded with black powder if it becomes a necessity , the latter two originally started as black powder cartridges.
Fun thing about black powder, you can load into any cartridge case.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
We like to travel and are considering a small bumper pull travel trailer. Figured a lever and revolver would be less problematic if we strayed accidentally into one of the Soviet satellite states on the left coast or NE else I'd just take ARs and 10mm's. In another thread someone also suggested a 20ga or 16ga pump too. I'm just looking for a long gun that is practical without looking scary tactical if that makes sense...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
As long as you stay in the USA the rifle-revolver combo makes sense. But if taking only a rifle, then the .30-30 is a better choice than either the .357 or .44 Mag. leverguns. If the purpose is primarily for personal defense against PEOPLE and not animals, go with the .357s.

·
Registered
9,159 Posts
I'm partial to the 'JM Marked' Marlins. My preference is the 45-70.
You will pay more for the JM, but it is the best lever gun on the market.

You already have a 357, stick with that cal.
Another JM Marlin fan, I use to be a Winchester lever action fan until a friend of mine introduced me to the Marlin Guide gun. I promptly went out and bought one...LOL
I also like the 1894 CB in 357, I had a Winchester Trails end but the Marlin CB won we over.
Winchester went the way of the dodo and Marlin was bought out.
The rest is history...

41 - 56 of 56 Posts