Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My curiosity has been piqued into leverguns lately. Anyone got imput on good models to look into?
A few random other questions....
Can box-mag models have the barrels free-floated? What model(s) offers the most options at scope mountings? Any models with lefty-friendly safety, loading/unloading? Most caliber options?

·
Registered
522 Posts
Thats a lot of stuff for a level gun, Don,t sound like the 336 tube feed Marlin in 30 30 or 44 with buck horn sight would work for you. Browning and Savage have box mags with a lever but they don't look or have the feel of a lever gun. IMO lever gun is a state of mind short,light, iron sighted rapid fire woods deer killin machine

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
While "unconventional", the Savage 99's are great, especially for lefty's.

The later tang safety models are available in current popular calibers and can be operated by southpaws as easily as by righty's.

As to not handling "correctly", having hunted for years with several 99's, I actually prefer them to hammer guns. Plus they have less issues with weather, being more tightly sealed from the elements.

For lefty's, to reload faster with a conventional 94 (Win or Marlin), just flip the gun over and start stuffing the ammo in the port, it'll be positioned correctly now.

·
Alert Today~Alive Tmrrw
2,991 Posts
I'd love to get my hands on a Winchester Model 1895 chambered in 7.62x54R or .405 Win..

Free-float the barrel on a lever rifle? Perhaps on a Browning BLR or Savage 99

·
Maximus
12,320 Posts
My curiosity has been piqued into leverguns lately. Anyone got imput on good models to look into?
A few random other questions....
Can box-mag models have the barrels free-floated? What model(s) offers the most options at scope mountings? Any models with lefty-friendly safety, loading/unloading? Most caliber options?
Marlin in .38/.357 is a JOY to shoot. So is the .44. Model 1984. And the Marlin 39a is probably the finest factory lever action .22 there is.

For rifle-rounds Marlin has the most options when scope mounting because of its side eject. Winchester lever actions have the eject on top and that is harder to scope.

If you are looking for long range precision accuracy, there are even special lever-actions rounds/firearms such as the .308 marlin express.

( I like Marlins) :D:

·
Registered
26 Posts
i too have a marlin 94c in 357, its a sweet little shooter that i dont think ill ever part with. theres just something about a lever gun that makes me happy :)

i shoot it both righty and lefty (im a righty but that damned dominant left eye...) and have never had an issue with ejection and the like, so dont worry about it. if you cant be assuaged, there are top ejection lever guns out there.

mags? browning makes a lever gun that ive fondled once (super slick) that was a detached magazine. while i woulda loved owning it, it was expensive and something about the detachable mag bothered me. call me a traditionalist but i think levers should be tube fed (but with a side loading port, none of that other nonsense)

keeping in tune with that traditionalist vibe, scoping a lever gun (unless its your only/survival rifle) just seems wrong. form over function reigns, in this case

but enjoy your rifle!

·
FOX ON THE RUN
417 Posts
i too have a marlin 94c in 357, its a sweet little shooter that i dont think ill ever part with. theres just something about a lever gun that makes me happy :)

i shoot it both righty and lefty (im a righty but that damned dominant left eye...) and have never had an issue with ejection and the like, so dont worry about it. if you cant be assuaged, there are top ejection lever guns out there.

mags? browning makes a lever gun that ive fondled once (super slick) that was a detached magazine. while i woulda loved owning it, it was expensive and something about the detachable mag bothered me. call me a traditionalist but i think levers should be tube fed (but with a side loading port, none of that other nonsense)

keeping in tune with that traditionalist vibe, scoping a lever gun (unless its your only/survival rifle) just seems wrong. form over function reigns, in this case

but enjoy your rifle!
I have the exact opposite situation, I'm a lefty with right eye dominant. it takes some getting used to...

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Savage 99 and the BLR were the only mag-fed ones I found through Google. Savages aren't in production anymore, and BLR's are damned pricey (MSRP $1K?!), not to mention ugly.

As a kid, I remember shooting my dad's Marlin (prolly a .30-30) a few times. Side loading and ejecting, don't remember the safety. Only reason I know it was a Marlin is that he complained that Winchesters ejected up and back, over the top of the shooter's head. He shot lefty too; same issue with eye dominance (or being near blind in his right eye, I forget which). I didn't shoot it often, so I don't have a lot of memory on how it felt.

I know I like the look of 'em, and if I wasn't stationed in Hawai'i (or broke) my currently nonexistant gun collection would include a couple lever guns.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Even thought the Marlin is a side-eject gun, they tend to fling the empties almost straight to the side. It shouldn't present a problem with the shells coming back at you. I have owned several Marlin levers and they are one of the best bang-for-your-buck guns available. The only drawback is the chamberings they are offered in. If I could afford one I might take a crack at a BLR in .308.

·
Noman
903 Posts
A couple years ago I got the lever gun itch too. I've always admired the Winchester 94 but in the end decided to go with a Marlin 336C. I am glad I did because the Marlin is easier to mount a scope on. The Winchester is a top ejecting gun and requires some fiddling with to get a scope properly mounted. You have to get high rings for the Winchester. With the Marlin you can get low rings and not worry about the brass hitting your scope. The Marlin also has a better action so I'm told.

·
American fearmaker
14,249 Posts
I got a Marlin .44 magnum lever action years ago. I love it. It shoots a big bore magnum pistol round and is accurate out to 100+ yards or so. I got the short version so it doesn't take up a lot of room and is quick to maneuver with anywhere. I put a sling on it and carry a belt of extra ammo when I take it out. Years ago, people used to hunt small bears with the .44 magnum lever action rifles and they did the job on the bear. Can't ask for a more effective round or lever action saddle carbine than that.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That .357/.38 Marlin sounds pretty sweet! Especially reading about it loaded with those new polymer tipped rounds from Hornady. I love the idea of a pistol/rifle combo, using the same ammo, (reminds one of the old .44-40), and using cheap, low recoil .38 ammo for practice is a definite plus.

Now I just need to move to a state where guns are more affordable, lol. And prepare to buy one for the missus too.

If only Charter did a .357 Southpaw, instead of just a .38.

·
Noman
903 Posts
That .357/.38 Marlin sounds pretty sweet! Especially reading about it loaded with those new polymer tipped rounds from Hornady. I love the idea of a pistol/rifle combo, using the same ammo, (reminds one of the old .44-40), and using cheap, low recoil .38 ammo for practice is a definite plus.

Now I just need to move to a state where guns are more affordable, lol. And prepare to buy one for the missus too.

If only Charter did a .357 Southpaw, instead of just a .38.
Yeah I think Hawaii is one of the worst states as far as gun laws go. Right up there with NY, NJ, Mass, and CA. I am told there is only one gun range on the whole island. Is that true? Sorry to go off topic.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Older Winchesters are a good bet, as are Browning levers if you can afford them. I'm partial to Marlins as they work great in the heavy brush of the South East U.S.:thumb:

·
Registered
124 Posts
I have 3 Rossis 2 in 45lc 1 in 357, one win 94 in 30/30 and a marlin 1895 in 450 ihe one that goes with me to wander in the timber or check out the chickens is the 357 it is a 16 inch barrel that is so light i barley know its slung on me and it stops ***** or coys DRT. You might try handling several to see what fits you best. Oh and i'm left handed and never a prob with any of them

BOB

1 - 18 of 18 Posts