Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I don't want to start yet another cartridge debate but for my shtf/bug out main rifle, i have settled on either a Marlin 336 or a Winchester model 94 lever action. I know that they are not the number one choice but my Dad (I'm only 15) is not too fond of the evil black rifles, mostly he doesn't see a need for one since all of our guns are for hunting and i thought this would be easier to convince him of.

But the problem comes with the caliber to choose, i have about 100 rounds of 30-30, i guess my uncle use to have one but he doesn't anymore so we have the ammo, so that would be a plus side to getting the 30-30. but around here the 30-30 ammo runs about 14-15 dollars a box, and although it is cheaper than .308 and 30-06 its still not ideal.

Now with the .44 mag, I will have a larger ammo capacity with decent power as well. Ammo is about 25-30 dollars a box for the cheap stuff. so its a little better price wise compared to the 30-30. But i would also like to use this gun hunting for deer, and maybe hog if i ever get the chance, and i know it is legal to hunt deer with a .44 in Wisconsin so i would be good there, and i wouldn't have to shoot past 100 yards in most cases, where i hunt and its my BOL as well, there is a lot of brush so normally when we get deer its normally from 25-75 yards in that range. But how does the .44 do for deer up to 100 yards? also the accuracy of it as well.

also i am thinking i would like to keep it just iron sights, probably install some sort of peep sight. and any help is much appreciated, thanks.

·
Registered
5,507 Posts
The Marlins are easier to 'improve' with peep or receiver sights, are cheaper as the Winchesters are essentially a dead end and have become "collectors pieces", and are a thousand times easier to clean both in the field and on a bench.

The .30-30 is a better choice despite the fact that the .44 has some very good things going for it.
You can purchase .30-30 at age 18, .44 requires 21 in many places. (Yes i know it's for a rifle, but some places don't care and call it handgun ammo).

The .30-30 shoots flatter, has about 100Y better range and is generally cheaper by the box. Under 100Y, really either will do.

Unless you are planning on picking up a .44 Mag in the future, I'd go with the .30-30.

Here's a couple of articles to help you decide:
.44 Marlin

Not so urban rifle by Ashley Emerson

Micro Groove Barrels

For all-around use, I tried the .44 twice. Once with a Winchester Wrangler, a big looped Trapper model and a Marlin 1894 Limited model. Both had 16" barrels and held a fair number of cartridges.
Accuracy was decent with both, scoped they'd do @3-4" at 100Y but they were finicky as to bullet selection and feeding of such.

Handloading each, the .30-30 is more frugal with lead, and if you shoot small game, uses the same amount of primers and powder as the .44 will.

Every .30-30 I've had has been capable of 3" or less at 100Y, as long as the muzzle hasn't been damaged by cleaning wear.

Clear as mud ain't it?

·
reading since 2008
895 Posts
30-30 the most deer getting round there is, and cheaper and we hunted hogs with sks in Texas ...ballistics similar . stay with 30-30

·
Registered
472 Posts
Was shooting my Win 30-30 the other day. It is an 94AE so I have a scope on it. My brother has one that ejects straight up so he has a peep sight. Mine won't drive nails but it is pretty good at 100 yds 3 to 4 inch diameter spread. It put a bullet through a 5 inch fir tree that was behind the target. It has a reasonable kick and holds nine if I load a round into the chamber first. I only have about 300 rds available for it but plan on expanding to 1000 or so. That said, if i
I ever had to bug out I'd leave with either the AR10 or AR15.
In your case go with the 30-30, I think Winchester reopened the line.

·
Registered
11,412 Posts
I would have to say the 30/30

With the new Lever Evolution ammo you could make a 250 yard shot,harder to do with the 44 mag. Also it has twice the energy.

Yes the 44mag offers a couple of things,4 more rounds in tube and handgun compatablity.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I'm a real fan of the 44 mag, mine has a forward scope mount and a nikon scope. This gun has been very effective out to 100yrds. I reload for it and my rugers, they share the same load.

I tried a 30-30 but just didn't care for it, no reason.

·
hunter-gatherer
751 Posts
Read read read. This is one of many articles that'll . . pardon the pun . . shoot holes in the argument the AR-15 is not a fine hunting rifle.
Depends on where you are. Nothing wrong with the 308 that's for sure, but 223 wouldn't be my first choice if you were hunting in bear country for example.

As to the original question - it's a bit of a tough call. I love the 30-30 as a hunting round and it does have more 'reach out and touch someone' power than a 44 mag, period.

The 44 mag has the advantage of allowing you to carry more ammo for the same weight. But - are you really going to be getting into any extended firefights? Probably not.

I have a puma 92 in 44 mag and i love it. And it's lethal on deer at 100 yards, and even 200. But i think i'd have to say that overall, as a 'one gun to do it all' the 30-30 is probably a SLIGHTLY better choice. With the right ammo - it hits a little harder, shoots a little farther, and those are useful advantages sometimes. The 44 mag wouldn't be a BAD choice mind you - in longer barrels and with the right load it's quite impressive.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Having owned both, here are my thoughts:

If you're going to lug around a rifle, have the most power you can. The little .44s are fun and handy and pretty potent within 100 yards. But with the newer ammo (like the aforementioned Leverrevolution) you can use the 30-30 for much longer shots. The Winchester 94s have a handier feeling to carry around, while the Marlin 336s seem a bit, I don't know how to put it, "chunkier", but that also makes them feel more solid to me. Either would do in a survival situation barring firefights with multiple shooters.
The one situation that might merit a choice of the .44 over the 30-30 is if you have a revolver also in .44 magnum. Then you can carry just one kind of ammo.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I see more rabbits and squirrels than I see deer. Marlin makes some very good lever action rifles for little money and 22lr are cheap ammo. The 22lr is also light so you can carry lots. They work well in the 25 to 50yd range and can take a peep sight. You can work on the mechanics of shooting and not hurt your wallet. A 22 can work as a defensive weapon and with so little kick that just about anyone in the family can use it.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just found a winchester 94 in 30-30 for $150! I am going to try and go back and take a look at it with my dad. The outside looked good but maybe the barrel is rusted out or something.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
67,451 Posts
I don't want to start yet another cartridge debate
No worries about starting a debate. That usually only happens when some dork posts a VS or "which is the best X" thread. I think they do it deliberately.

Take a look at your terrain and let it help you make your choice. The .44 mag works well as a close in brush gun. Plenty of power, but the short fat pistol bullet is going to lose velocity fast. If your game is relatively close in, it's a great choice!

If you need to reach out a bit further to get your game, you might consider the .30-30. It's not a long distance cartridge by any stretch of the imagination, but it has a longer effective range than the .44, especially if you use Leverevolution ammo.

As for Marlin or Winchester, well that's a matter of what you prefer. I own both in .30-30 and I've come to prefer the Marlin. It's smoother functioning and more accurate. My old model Winchester 94 would be a royal pain to put a scope on also, whereas the Marlin is easy.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
67,451 Posts
Just found a winchester 94 in 30-30 for $150! I am going to try and go back and take a look at it with my dad. The outside looked good but maybe the barrel is rusted out or something.
Check the crown. The last bit of rifling at the end of the muzzle. That's the last thing the bullet touches on it's way out of the barrel. If that's not absolutely flawless, it can have a big negative impact on accuracy. If it's good to go, then the gun will probably be a great shooter.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Check the crown. The last bit of rifling at the end of the muzzle. That's the last thing the bullet touches on it's way out of the barrel. If that's not absolutely flawless, it can have a big negative impact on accuracy. If it's good to go, then the gun will probably be a great shooter.
thanks for the advice, my guess is that the barrel is pitted or something. But even if there is some rust on the outside i will get it and probably re-blue it, but i couldn't check while i was there since i wasn't with a parent.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Either is a good choice.

With the new .30-30 ammo that extends the range quite a bit.

The .44 I think would be great since you can also use other .44 ammo in it. It gives you a bit more variety. As for power don't worry as the .44 mag can easily keep up with the .30-30. Maybe even surpass it with some loads.

Elmer Kieth used a .44 mag handgun to shoot a wounded elk 2 out of 4 times at 600 yards. One bullet was found under the skin on the far side.

Range and penetration are not a problem with either one.

I'd stick with the Marlin though. They seem to be put together better and rattle less than the Winchesters.

·
Registered
42 Posts
.30-30 (called the zombie cannon where im from)

pros
---------
you already have $75 worth of ammo
shoots flatter harder longer
great hunting rifle
a carbine is not too long to do room sweeps with but long enough to hold enough ammo
will stop any two legged animal dead in its tracks

cons
----------
ammo is more expensive
not as many rounds in tube
more recoil

.44 mag

pros
-------------
cheaper ammo
more rounds in tube
less recoil

cons
-----------
less penetration,range,power,and accuracy

·
Shield Up Sword Drawn
2,960 Posts
The 30-30 hits harder and at longer distances. However, if you have a 44 mag handgun then I would go with 44 mag lever just so I could use the same ammo.

Whatever you buy, get the dies, primers, powder, bullets and cases to reload them. The only thing I own that I can't reload is 22 rim-fire.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts