Survivalist Forum banner

41 - 43 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
its not purely for accuracy, its for medium power levels and trajectory for the task. Accuracy at such levels is just the question i was posing.
Accuracy would most likely suffer.
1400-1500 MV in a rifle is fairly hot for a .38.
They tend to run more in the 1100-1300 range with standard 158 gr. bullets.
Accuracy tends to excel more in moderate velocity loads.
One reason why some think its better to push a heavier bullet at a slower velocity, rather than the other way around.
I don't think the free bore is going to make much difference here. It's not very much. Chances are good the bullet would likely not even notice it.

DCman

·
Si vis pacem, para bellum
7,186 Posts
I know this thread is getting a little stale but I finally got in touch with one of my partners in crime from the old PD to compare notes. We both carried S&W 27s on duty for awhile. We got a new CoP who was magnophobic, decreeing that those who carried magnum revolvers could only carry 38/44 Specials in them. So we convinced the department armorer to load magnum level loads in Special cases. One range session there was a near miss when one of the other officers "borrowed" some of our "Special" load to shoot in his Model 36 BUG. The ensuing discussion brought our scheme to the chief's attention. So he sold off the department's reloading equipment and issued a follow up decree that all duty ammo would be factory loads, training ammo could be commercial reloads.

Okay I said all that to say this, our qualification scores did drop slightly when using the shorter cases with magnum loads. Yes I know it is apples to oranges comparing revolvers to levers, but it is what I got.

41 - 43 of 43 Posts