Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Hunting in Oklahoma
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I've been wanting a lever action rifle for a long time and my only dilemma is what caliber I should get it in. I've leaned towards .30-30 for availability but I also own a .357 mag revolver and currently reload for it. I really like the old cowboy idea of a matched pistol and carbine. However I am interested in many other calibers. Should I explore a new caliber or go for commonality and stick to .357/.38 give me your opinions and caliber suggestions!

·
Hunting in Oklahoma
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Possibly take a deer or two with it maybe some coyotes. No special use really, just a general purpose gun for everything from plinking and target practice to possible hunting. I already have a dedicated deer rifle. It will probably end up as a truck gun on the ranch for coyotes, armadillos and such. Doubt I'd ever mount a scope on it I'm fairly good with irons and if I need to reach out very far I have guns for that task.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
44 mag rifle and revolver. Enough power for deer and black bear. Single action revolver isn't that heavy and one can reload shot shells for snakes and such. Light loads with cast bullets one can hunt even small game. One must reload for all these advantages. 357 would be second place, but you may be limited to 50-75 yards on deer or black bear. I have a friend who shot a 9 pointer with a 44 mag rifle at 192 yards. He did aim about a foot high. Deer dropped right there with one shot.

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
If the Coyote's pelts are any interest to you, then a .22 WMR otherwise the ole 30-30 does everything you need. Now the bigger dilemma Winchester or Marlin? :D:
Or a Henry. :thumb:

I like the 30-30 for deer hunting. However I think you can also hunt deer with a .357mag just so long that the shot is within 75 yards, plus it's nice that you can shoot 38special. Check your local state laws though to be sure.

I think a lever and revolver in .357mag gives you the most options, law permitting. You still cannot go wrong with a 30-30 though for a lever action.

·
Why do you ask? 2 Dogs!
13,738 Posts
Ultimately it's your choice and pretty much the game dictates your uses

I do use a 30-30 for a truck gun when on property and a 44 mag revolver. If I have long range shots I'll go to a bolt. I'll keep that in the back seat and the other up front with me.

I think you'll find that the 30-30 or 44 mag in the lever to be the best for all round use. Anything bigger, adds more recoil and takes away from the fast handling of the rifle (as far as out of the truck uses)

Anything less won't have the punch at the longer ranges as dictated by the rifle itself.

I do prefer the 30-30 over the 44 in the rifle, flatter trajectory and I can load pointed bullets in the chamber (Winchester) for better range......just don't load them in the tube! I do reload. The Nosler Ballistic Tips work great at 30-30 velocities.

I use mine for pigs and coyotes and other assorted varmints. In the grand scheme of things though, it boils down to what you can do with your rifle, not so much what caliber

Reactions: doczeus

·
Hunting in Oklahoma
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I doubt this rifle would ever be used outside 100yds if it's that far out I'll use my .308 or .270 with some glass. I've read that at shorter ranges .357 mag out of a rifle length barrel can reach .30-30 power levels. Although I did shoot one in .45LC once and loved it

·
Third World'er Lunatic
16,245 Posts
me, it would be 45/70 and 30/30 (and is)and I like the Winchesters. 35 rem isn't bad if your a loader, 44 Mag is excellent as well. 357 is good, as long as your matching a pistol.
Winchester,, Henry, Marlin, Browning, all good, although , personal preference on lever guns, I dont care for Rossi.

·
www.sharpenedaxe.com
204 Posts
Pretty much all of those calibers are good. 30-30 is well proven.

I inherited a war era Winchester .32 special. It's not much to look at, but man, does it ever shoot well!

...and I think the proper response is that one of each is good.

·
Hunting in Oklahoma
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I really love the idea of sharing ammo with my revolver. I don't really think I'd need any more punch than the .357 mag offers in heavy loadings

·
Awesome
17,072 Posts
i thought the matched ammo thing was a good idea, still its not a bad one but we're not talking to old west here where there are still laws and rules.. in a truly shtf scenario without any rule of law the pistol becomes a lot less important than a rifle and i surely wouldnt diminish my own capabilities by restricting myself to a slow to reload manually operated lever action just for the novelty of sharing ammo with a pistol i will probably have no use for anymore at that point anyway

at this point, at this era (were not cowboys anymore) any pistol or carbine combo id use would be semi automatic, rimless, and able to feed from the same box magazines

·
Hunting in Oklahoma
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I've got my shtf firearms pretty much covered. This is more recreational than anything, plus I still wouldn't want a tube full of .357 mag or .30-30 coming at me any day. Besides a .357 or similar lever gun outmatches any 9mm carbine in every aspect but rate of fire but if you think they're slow you've never seen cowboy action shooting.Anyway I'm only asking about lever guns here so let's stick to the question at hand.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts