Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone here have a lever action 357 magnum rifle? If so, what brandname, model and what do you think about it?

I am looking for a short range rifle I can use for deer say within 50 - 74 yards.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
I have a Rossi M92 in stainless steel. It shoots 158 grain 357 mag rounds all day long without a problem but it will have feeding issues with any 38 special rounds. Although the feed issues are consistent and I have learned how to short stroke the lever to have it feed after a proper stroke of the lever. This adds less than half a second to the time between shots. Not a huge issue but very frustrating to anyone who borrows my gun and shoots 38 specials with it.

Fit and finish are average.

Accuracy is probably 2-3 MOA but I never bothered checking to closely.

I have shot over 300 rounds through it and I am pleased with it. Probably one of the more fun guns I own.

·
Registered
12,561 Posts
Does anyone here have a lever action 357 magnum rifle? If so, what brandname, model and what do you think about it?

I am looking for a short range rifle I can use for deer say within 50 - 74 yards.
Just wondering...why a depth of only 24 yards? Do you have another option for those 76 yard shots?:eek::

No personal experience, but everything I've ever read says .357 out of a carbine will kill deer nearly as far out as a 30-30.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
I bought a Winchester 357 years ago. Shot my first wild hog with it. Love it. I loaned it to my father-in-law and haven't seen it since. Every Christmas, I ask him to remember it's mine so I don't have to fight the rest of the family for it if he passes away. I ask in front of other family members so I have witnesses. No, I'm not ashamed.

·
Registered
8,707 Posts
I have a rossi m92 also in stainless, and i love it. It is probably on of my favorite guns to shoot its just plain fun.

I have not had any issues with 38 specials loading

·
Registered
344 Posts
I also have the Rossi 92. This is actually my 2nd one (first one was stolen). I have not experienced any feeding issues with .38 or .357, I have shot a lot more .38 out of it than .357. The only time I see an issue is if I short stroke.

The farthest I have shot it is 50 yds, but it is quite accurate. I would not hesitate for a minute to recommend it. As others have said it is a blast to shoot!

RJ

·
Registered
482 Posts
I have a Rossi 92 in stainless. Had for over 10 years and no problems feeds 38's or 357. I don't like the newer one with the safety by the hammer.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Worked with the Henry .357 when it first came out, good accuracy.
Currently have a 16-inch Big Boy in .357 that's put 3 under an inch at one hundred yards.
Denis

·
Registered
5,168 Posts
I have a Winchester 94 in 357. I put a peep site and fire sight on it. It shoot well at 50 yards which is what I sighted it in. I really like 357 as a rifle round. I bought a Ruger bolt action. I'm not a fan of lever action rifles. The bolt has knocked down pig. the lever had knocked down ground squirrels and a horse.

·
Registered
577 Posts
16" Rossi. So far eats everything I feed it except .38 wadcutters...go figure. Mine has only killed one deer, but it worked like a dandy with 180g sjhp. Now I shoot 158 xtp, very accurate.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Another M92 Rossi shooter here. Mine feeds both .38 and .357 fine provided you don't short-stroke it.

The .357 gains some potency when it's fired from a carbine or rifle length barrel. It's capable of good offhand accuracy and rapid followup shots. With the right ammo it should be effective out to about 125 yds on deer-sized game, and useful on small game with .38 loads. And it's a pleasure to carry and shoot... I'm a fan.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts