Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wasn't going to post this at first because basic survival kits are personalized to each person carrying it. Each kit is so different from person to person. I figured if this helps out a newbie or gives others a new idea and uses only part of this then its worth posting. On the recon teams we carried Level 1, 2 and sometimes 3 survival kits. I will explain the propose of all 3 at the end of the post.

Level 1:
You will be using 550 cord, lighter, 2 surgical blades, 2 fire starters, quick release key chain for car/house keys, Swiss Army knife with saw blade.( I found this saw to sometimes be more useful than the big Rambo knives, so for me the SAK with the saw is a must, but you can use any pocket knife you want).

100_2096.jpg

Tape the 2 surgical blades to the lighter as shown.

100_2098.jpg

Then tape the fire starters to the sides, same as the surgical blades.

This is a close-up of the fire starters, the 2 on the left are incomplete gives you a better look on how to make them, they are very easy to make and burn just under 5 min. more than enough time to get a fire started. Take 2 STRIKE ANYWHERE MATCHES not strike on box! If you want to save a little space cut off the matches to desired size. Wrap the 2 matches in a strip of notebook paper and put a very small piece of tape on it to keep it from unraveling. Then just dip them in candle wax and you’re done.

100_2097.jpg

Next take the 550 cord and start to make a monkey chain knot, this will be difficult for me to explain so I included a video and some stills. Make the braid long enough to go from your left front pocket wrap around the small of your back through the belt loops to the right front pants pocket. Leave about 6 inches of unbraided cord on both ends to attach the knife and lighter. End the braid by passing the end of the 550 through the loop, (see video).Cant get the video to upload, follow the steps in the photos or search for monkey chain knot. will get it loaded as soon as I can.

100_2099.jpg

100_2100.jpg

100_2102.jpg

100_2103.jpg

100_2105.jpg

Use some military duct tape to tape the lighter to one end of the braid. Take the rings off the quick release key chain. Attach the knife and cord as shown in photo. Simply stick the lighter in left pocket wrap the cord around the small of your back, passing it through the belt loops then pocket the knife in the right side. The quick release will make it easier to take out the knife and use you won’t have untie the knife or take off the entire kit.

100_2107.jpg

Purpose:
Level 1 is the basic only. Knife, 550 and a way to start a fire.
Level 2 is an extra M-16 pouch on your LBE (web gear, canteens ammo pouches). Level 2 is more in-depth, 1st aid such as triangle bandage and other small bandages, fishing kit, knife sharpener, 1 or 2 food bars, pen flare, back up compass, magnesium fire starter signal mirror. Etc.

Level 3 goes in your ruck. Usually a hard plastic waterproof container such as a GSI outdoor container http://www.gsioutdoors.com/list.aspx?c=18&sc2=74
This contains basically the same as the level 1 and 2 but more in depth, space blanket, more food bars, candle etc. User’s discretion. We really never carried the level 3 because we had so much equip to carry, several radios plus batteries and antennas, NODs, optics,
Food and water for 4 day mission. etc.

The idea is that if you made contact behind the lines and had to drop your ruck you still had the level 1 and 2 with you. If you then somehow lost your LBE ( web gear, ammo pouches canteens). You still had the bare min. of the level 1 with you. The only way you can lose the level 1 is if you got captured and stripped of everything. So the idea is that no matter what happened behind the lines you always had something with you even if it’s just a level 1.
I got so used to carrying the level 1 I did so for years after the military. I couldn’t leave home without it. This is the way I carried my equip I found this to be the easiest and most effective way. This may or may not be useful to you but remember you can always modify to suit your needs. Even if you only use 1 aspect of this to modify your kit then its worth posting this.
The only thing more important than any of this is your brain. Get out and practice with your basic kits. Get used to making the shelters and starting a fire and just being out in the elements. You will soon see what works for you and what doesn’t.

·
V
21,713 Posts
LRS 90 I like the firestarter's I havent seen that before, I knew about waxing matches to water proof just hadnt thought about the firestarter bit good tip :thumb:

If you add little bits of rubber innertube just slide them over the top of the lighter they also make excellent firestarters and will take up no real extra room. (its what I usually do with my EDC lighter it just goes unnoticed)

·
Zomby Woof
14,246 Posts
Very nice.
I have one suggestion. I smoked cigarettes for 32 years; fortunately I have quit and seem to be healthy enough. The lighter pictured looks like a "Scripto" or generic equiv. I used to stay clear of these because of what I thought was a high failure rate.
Bic lighters cost double but I cannot remember one ever failing.

Good post!

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have found them in the smaller grocery stores and outlets, also Albertsons stores. Just dig for them locally the major chains prob wont have them.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Your firestarters are just plain neat. I like them and I think I'll build a few just for grins. Nice little self-contained package, and waterproof, too. :thumb:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts