Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
"Safe and blessed"
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am interested in attempting solarization for weed and pest control in the new garden plot I have aquired. I've done a good bit of research and reading on this technique and am seriously thinking of applying it to this new plot http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?p=1608882#post1608882 I figure since I must stay out of the sun as much as possible then I should at least put it to work for me when I can't be there! :cool: I found this site to be the best source of info for my area here in so cal http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn74145.html but I would be very interested in hearing from other members who have practiced this technique. Did it work well? Was it worth the time period required to wait before planting? etc. I already have produce growing in another plot so am not dependent on this for food production although I do plan to grow some edibles in this space along with culinary and medicinal herbs.

·
"Safe and blessed"
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
black plastic vs. clear

Hi Harmless,
I had read many instructions in the past regarding using black plastic but what I am reading now indicates clear is the better choice for achieving higher temperatures for sterilization. Did the black plastic work for you for vegetation control?

·
Weed 'em and reap
31,581 Posts
Hi Harmless,
I had read many instructions in the past regarding using black plastic but what I am reading now indicates clear is the better choice for achieving higher temperatures for sterilization. Did the black plastic work for you for vegetation control?
Like a charm. It collects quite a bit more heat than the clear, but because it is the plastic that heats up, I imagine that it doesn't warm the soil as deep down as the clear plastic.

In my case, I am usually trying to kill ground cover that is at 100% of its carrying capacity. In other words, the ground is as full of weeds as it can support and, in my case, I just want to make them dead. I really don't care what's underneath, as I've never tried to start a garden with sterilized soil, so I figure why try now?

·
Registered
282 Posts
i had only heard of it being used to kill the turf in land being converted to a garden or for killing or reducing populations of harmful nematodes...the garden guy on the radio over here recommends clear plastic as he says it will transmit more light and heat thru to the soil than the black plastic will...he says that you want to try to get a steam effect out of it...

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
I have heard that the clear plastic works best for solarization. It's clear, so the weeds spring up, but then they are trapped and pretty much boil to death under the clear plastic. I'm going to try this on a couple of my raised beds next year.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I have a 2 by 4 foot piece of plex-e- glass (a piece of roofing tin works well too ) that I bought at a yard sale for 2 $ .When ever I get ready to start a new row I put that down for a few days in the sun and it kills all the growth under it and you can then work your soil .You really don't want to completely sterilize your soil as there are good mircrobes and such that live there ,that help plants grow . Your soil is so much differant than what I have ,so I can't advise you much other than add composted manure or grass clippings .Anyway good luck on your garden looks like you are off to a good start .

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.